Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:39 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times

Advertisements

Currently I take tramadol for a shoulder injury. If I stop taking it, I'd have to deal with unbearable tendonitis pain. I'm on a slow road to recovery here and I don't see myself not using Tramadol anytime soon. How will I know if I become addicted to it? ARe there any signs ? I will likely take it for several more months.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 10:03 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Check out the black box warnings and short and long term side effects on that drug.

It was in the news recently, and it is a very dangerous drug.

Don't know about the addiction issue, but anything you want to and feel you have to take probably indicates addiction.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Check out the black box warnings and short and long term side effects on that drug.

It was in the news recently, and it is a very dangerous drug.

Don't know about the addiction issue, but anything you want to and feel you have to take probably indicates addiction.
Well it's either tramadol or ibuprofen for pain relief, and we all know how what ibuprofen does to you. Any other pain reliever does squat.

So yes, tramadol is the better of the two evils for my situation. At least until I am healed. I am doing PT, but it's a slow progression.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:58 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Well it's either tramadol or ibuprofen for pain relief, and we all know how what ibuprofen does to you. Any other pain reliever does squat.

So yes, tramadol is the better of the two evils for my situation. At least until I am healed. I am doing PT, but it's a slow progression.
And with me I choose to go with ibuprofen and my stomach protectors and liver support. I tried tramadol maybe 10 yrs ago and I found it was not so great for me. They all have their dangers.

That's why I keep trying various nutritional supplements for my pain issues.

On addiction to pain meds, I know one person and an addict will steal and lie and do whatever to get their fix and if they are lucky will end up in rehab to get cleaned up.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-29-2019 at 11:20 AM..

Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,816,411 times
Quote:
Currently I take tramadol for a shoulder injury. If I stop taking it, I'd have to deal with unbearable tendonitis pain. I'm on a slow road to recovery here and I don't see myself not using Tramadol anytime soon. How will I know if I become addicted to it? ARe there any signs ? I will likely take it for several more months.

Thanks.
Continue to take it for your pain. As you recover start taking less of it, and eventually taper off of it.
Talk to your prescribing doctor on other possible drugs that are non narcotic.
Are you doing any physical therapy?

Old 01-29-2019, 11:10 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
I have no experience with opioids, but I take a controlled substance that is addictive. I know I am addicted to it physically, because I can tell if I don't take it. I start to have withdraw symptoms. I know to stop it will take time and I will have to taper off it.

My boss was on something for a back injury. Once got to a point he felt could manage pain without them, he was weaned off them. He said he was addicted, just not mentally, he wanted off them eventually. You're aware of what you're taking and why, you have a goal to come off it, I think having that mindset is good. I think the issue is when it moves from just physical to psychological addiction.

I hope your recovery goes smoothly

Old 01-29-2019, 12:15 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:

Thanks.
The answers to your questions will be answered sometime in the future when you no longer need the opiod for pain relief,if at that point you still feel you need to take this drug then i would say you are addicted.

Old 01-29-2019, 12:56 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,975 times
Quote:

Do we now? And what would that be? I took ibuprofen for my entire adult life for severe dysmenorrhea. Six, four to six times a day, for half of every month (except while pregnant), for decades.

What is it you think it did to me, other than make my life bearable for the 2 weeks out of every month that I would otherwise have been unable to move, constantly vomiting, and in so much pain I couldn't even sleep?

I also know a ton of athletes who have taken it off and on in similar dosages.

Yes, some people may have a bad reaction, or may develop stomach troubles - but that is true of any drug. I can't take aspirin because of what it does to my stomach, but ibuprofen is fine. When it was finally legalized for over-the-counter use it changed my life. When I was a teenager, they didn't "believe in" dysmenorrhea, I was told it was all in my head, my doctor wouldn't prescribe it for me, and if he had, my mother would not have allowed me to take it. Because stupidity. Kind of like now.

And no. No liver damage. They DO check for that every time they draw blood. So neither the ibuprofen or the more-than-4 oz-per-day of wine that I drink from time to time has damaged my liver.

That said I'm not sure ibuprofen alone would touch the kind of pain they generally prescribe Tramadol for.

Any chance there is medical marijuana in your state? It might not get you OFF the tramadol, but it is likely it would reduce your need for it.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,098,140 times
Addiction (early) feels like:

Uneasiness: When you are nearing a refill.

Relief: When you get your refill, regardless of wether or not you are in pain.

Attachment of routine beyond the ordered dose: If the med is ordered “every six hours” & you are on a “6am, 12pm, 6pm, 12am” schedule but it turns into a “1 to get up with, 1 to get through the afternoon with, 1 to unwind with & 1 to go to sleep with” situation; that is dependency thinking. Notice there is no mention of pain?

That is why smokers struggle at work with break time when they are trying to quit; their routine became attached to the substance.

When everything is awful if you miss a dose: Everything hurts, you are sad, melodramatic, irritable & pessimistic. It’s an association of the drug with; “With it; all is good but without it; all is bad” & that’s an unrealistic expectation for a substance.

When you start to rationalize overuse: “There is no way I can handle that car trip if I don’t take one now” or “I won’t make it through the meeting without it”.

When your first reaction to questions about your use is defensiveness, not concern or interest: “Easy for him to say I’m taking too much! He doesn’t have to live with this!” Instead of: “Do you really think so? I’ve wondered about that too.”

Old 01-29-2019, 02:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
I've taken tramadol for years with no I'll effects. I don't think I'm addicted, if I forget to take it the only reason I notice it is because I notice the pain level. No physical or psychological reactions.

I take it with tylenol as it makes it more effective.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness