Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:17 AM

696 posts, read 904,721 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to file a do not resuscitate order, living will or advance care directive with some of the local hospitals near me in case I get into a bad car accident or something, I don't want to end up like terri schiavo. I know that my family does not share my views and would want to keep me on life support even if I was a vegetable. I called up the nearest hospital to me and they said I could not file anything with them and didn't seem to even know anything about it, but that I could file one with my primary care doctor, who is not even associated with that hospital. I don't feel comfortable filing one with my normal doctor and would rather just file it with the local hospitals so they have it on file. Has anyone else done anything like this? I am in new york state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 11:11 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I have been wanting to file a do not resuscitate order, living will or advance care directive with some of the local hospitals near me in case I get into a bad car accident or something, I don't want to end up like terri schiavo. I know that my family does not share my views and would want to keep me on life support even if I was a vegetable. I called up the nearest hospital to me and they said I could not file anything with them and didn't seem to even know anything about it, but that I could file one with my primary care doctor, who is not even associated with that hospital. I don't feel comfortable filing one with my normal doctor and would rather just file it with the local hospitals so they have it on file. Has anyone else done anything like this? I am in new york state.
Well, the Advanced Care Directive usually contains a document called something like "Medical Power of Attorney". This document allows you to designate someone other than a family member to make medical decisions for you. You can pick anyone you like. The trick is do you have a friend who thinks like you do who is willing to make these kind of decisions for you? That's what I would focus on. That's how to keep unreliable family members out of this decision process. If you have a reliable person making these decisions than I don't think its really necessary to try and contact hospitals and providers in advance.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Well, the Advanced Care Directive usually contains a document called something like "Medical Power of Attorney". This document allows you to designate someone other than a family member to make medical decisions for you. You can pick anyone you like. The trick is do you have a friend who thinks like you do who is willing to make these kind of decisions for you? That's what I would focus on. That's how to keep unreliable family members out of this decision process. If you have a reliable person making these decisions than I don't think its really necessary to try and contact hospitals and providers in advance.
I don't really have anyone else that I could trust.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:47 PM

10,225 posts, read 6,311,516 times
See an attorney to draw it up. You can appoint an attorney as your Health Proxy if you do not wish to have a family member. If you have health insurance, your attorney could stipulate your wishes to your health insurance company if you are hospitalized. With everything computerized today, it would probably come up under your insurance at the hospital.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:55 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
You could always wear one of these:
Amazon.com: DNR Do Not Resuscitate - Military Dog Tag Keychain: Automotive

Old 04-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
See an attorney to draw it up. You can appoint an attorney as your Health Proxy if you do not wish to have a family member. If you have health insurance, your attorney could stipulate your wishes to your health insurance company if you are hospitalized. With everything computerized today, it would probably come up under your insurance at the hospital.
In a ideal world I would have a attorney draw it up, but I don't have 100's of dollars to spend. Especially when I can print the documents I need online, I just need a way to file them with the hospital.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:07 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,986 times
By the time you get to the hospital the EMT's may have already resuscitated you. If that happens, any paperwork the hospital has on file for you becomes irrelevant.

That's why I think you need to wear a medic-alert bracelet or pendant to stop the first responders from resuscitating you. I've read that in some states, you need to carry a legal DNR document in your wallet, and your medic-alert bracelet should refer to that document.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:40 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
By the time you get to the hospital the EMT's may have already resuscitated you. If that happens, any paperwork the hospital has on file for you becomes irrelevant.

That's why I think you need to wear a medic-alert bracelet or pendant to stop the first responders from resuscitating you. I've read that in some states, you need to carry a legal DNR document in your wallet, and your medic-alert bracelet should refer to that document.
Yes. You get what you get. If you're rushed into the ER, they'll work on you. They'll never know that you didn't want to be resuscitated.

Have you considered a medical alert wristband?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

Most states do not honor a DNR wrist band. There have even been medics online saying so. They may resuscitate you but if you have a advance care directive on file with the hospital that would hopefully prevent them from leaving you on life support.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:50 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Default You must have a way to let paramedics know you have a do not resuscitate order

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Re...anUse-361.aspx

If you are away from home, you need a copy in your wallet.

The alert bracelet should tell the EMTs where to find the actual paperwork. They should not ignore that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness