Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,490 times

Advertisements

This thread is slightly old but I kinda need to get this out.

I'm not in my 20s yet. I'm slim. I walk slower than normal. I don't have any obvious sign as to why I have a handicap tag.

Please don't judge me because you look at me and think that I'm just a lazy college kid. I attend a university that is built in the mountains, and walking from my dorm to my classes is extremely hard for me. I have a rehearsal that requires me to carry 15lbs of equipment completely across campus, and up and down what is known as "The Hill" (it's more of a mountain) and then go back 2 hours later.

Osteoarthritis has deteriorated more cartilage in my hip that I'd like to accept (I'm guaranteed a hip replacement within 10 years). I've had knee surgeries on both knees recently. I can walk without crutches, but that doesn't mean that I'm 100% fine. I don't favor a knee because that just makes the other knee hurt. On a good day only 3 joints will hurt.

If you saw me, you probably wouldn't be able to tell that there's something obviously wrong with me. Please keep an open mind. I admit not all people who have them need them (I know people who have inherited disabled placards), but some of us do need them despite appearances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 05:27 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,532 times
I have been confined to a wheelchair since 1995, was legally blind from 2000-2005 when I lost the rest of my sight. I have a power chair and our family vehicle is a Mercedes SUV. My husband has recently retired from the Army after almost 23 years of Service as an MP and I am also an Army MP Vet.

We constantly have a difficult time finding parking because I cannot stand or walk so my chair must be able to pull up next to the passenger seat. Parking far away is a terrible idea when you are in a powerchair since so many drivers have a difficult time seeing you and I have been almost hit too many times to mention (and this is with my hubby or other adult present) as well as the fact that exposure to the sun could land me in the hospital.

Far too often parking placards/plates are misused by family or friends. My own mother saw no problems in using my placard to 'find herself a better spot'. I had kept the extra placard in her vehicle for the times when she would drive me places- when my sister mentioned that she had witnessed our mother's behavior I immediately removed it. I could not believe that she would do this when she KNEW how difficult it is to find parking for me.

We could always tell those with 'true' disabilities when the weather was bad. Snowing, raining, etc and the person in the handicapped spot was able to SPRINT into the building in order to avoid getting wet or cold- while the rest of us arrived soaked and nearly frozen.

Here in Hawaii we are issued an ID card that corresponds to our plate/placard number. If you are asked by an Police Officer (or other qualified individual) you MUST show this card. This is particularly helpful at large events such as the Pro-bowl when the handicapped spots were taken within 20 minutes of the lot opening. Once(before I lost all of my sight) I had gone to the restroom while my hubby waited in the car (we arrived when the lot opened so we had HOURS before we could actually enter the stadium). As I returned to the vehicle my hubby was standing beside the vehicle trying to explain that I was coming right back! They were going to make him move the car immediately but were kind enough to 'wait & see'. You could tell they were surprised when I came wheeling up and dug out my ID card and made their apologies to my hubby. We were THRILLED that they were doing this and a great many people were forced to move their cars as well as receiving a nice, expensive ticket!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 PM

253 posts, read 805,523 times
Default good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I have been confined to a wheelchair since 1995, was legally blind from 2000-2005 when I lost the rest of my sight. I have a power chair and our family vehicle is a Mercedes SUV. My husband has recently retired from the Army after almost 23 years of Service as an MP and I am also an Army MP Vet.

We constantly have a difficult time finding parking because I cannot stand or walk so my chair must be able to pull up next to the passenger seat. Parking far away is a terrible idea when you are in a powerchair since so many drivers have a difficult time seeing you and I have been almost hit too many times to mention (and this is with my hubby or other adult present) as well as the fact that exposure to the sun could land me in the hospital.

Far too often parking placards/plates are misused by family or friends. My own mother saw no problems in using my placard to 'find herself a better spot'. I had kept the extra placard in her vehicle for the times when she would drive me places- when my sister mentioned that she had witnessed our mother's behavior I immediately removed it. I could not believe that she would do this when she KNEW how difficult it is to find parking for me.

We could always tell those with 'true' disabilities when the weather was bad. Snowing, raining, etc and the person in the handicapped spot was able to SPRINT into the building in order to avoid getting wet or cold- while the rest of us arrived soaked and nearly frozen.

Here in Hawaii we are issued an ID card that corresponds to our plate/placard number. If you are asked by an Police Officer (or other qualified individual) you MUST show this card. This is particularly helpful at large events such as the Pro-bowl when the handicapped spots were taken within 20 minutes of the lot opening. Once(before I lost all of my sight) I had gone to the restroom while my hubby waited in the car (we arrived when the lot opened so we had HOURS before we could actually enter the stadium). As I returned to the vehicle my hubby was standing beside the vehicle trying to explain that I was coming right back! They were going to make him move the car immediately but were kind enough to 'wait & see'. You could tell they were surprised when I came wheeling up and dug out my ID card and made their apologies to my hubby. We were THRILLED that they were doing this and a great many people were forced to move their cars as well as receiving a nice, expensive ticket!
to you and the poster above you...good points!!! i do see many who do abuse this privlage...and it boils me over. i was in line at the grocery one day, this lady, about 50, took FOREVER to unload her cart...pay etc...kept going on and on about being crippled...this got her help unloading her cart...etc.....BUT...then she said she could take cart and unload herself...i was a bit puzzled....why turn down help the rest of the way....welll...i only had acouple items...so i paid and was behind her as she hobbled to the door....as soon as she got outside...that woman steaightened up....power walked to(fast) to her car, had her bags inside trunk and drove off faster then snot, all before i got to my truck 5 spots past!!!! i was livid!!!! this woman milked it in the store to get sympathay and had nothen wrong with her....she just liked the attention!!!
not long after that....i was at our local walmart....now anyone knows, in the south...summer is HOt.....walmart has "expecting mothers" spots, now granted, this is done as a curtiesy, but still....i watched some woman and their kids sitten in 2 cars in both spots...yakking away...none was pregnant....i know cuz this couple, who was pregnant was walken by to...from parking clear out there, she was due any day, they to noticed this, and the husband asked them who was pregnant...they thought he was just making conversation, and said "none of us are" he went off...asking them if they knew how to read and pointed out the sign....and then his wife...they laughed back and said "we have little kids, it counts" he called them stupid and pointed out sign says "expecting mothers" not lazy moms....sad thing is...these crap moms didnt care.
and yes...ive seen the ones who got the placard, and in the rain or cold..."run" into the store....hmmmm...guess anyone with a funny sneeze can get a handicap sticker now....so sad for the ones who really need to park closer.
i like the hawaii idea...i think it should be a law here to...seems like a easy way to end the abuse of the system.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:01 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlady71 View Post
..ive seen the ones who got the placard, and in the rain or cold..."run" into the store....hmmmm...guess anyone with a funny sneeze can get a handicap sticker now....so sad for the ones who really need to park closer.
Before my back got this bad, I only used mine when I would have to walk really far; now I have to use it all of the time.

If you see someone abusing, take the tag number down & report them. It's possible someone took the handicap car and used the tag to park. If you have a camera phone, take a picture.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
I think people who abuse handicapped parking are not only lazy, they are selfish. They should be grateful to be able-bodied enough to have the choice of parking far away and walking into the store. Instead they take parking spaces designated for people whose mobility is compromised just so they do not have to walk further!!! I have applauded police officers before for giving these people tickets. I think tickets for abusing handicapped spaces should be extremely expensive, with some of the proceeds going to charities that help the mobility-impaired. I am a pretty laid back person but not when it comes to that!!!!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:52 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
I was at my local Walmart 2 weeks ago. The parking is so messed up there. Instead of all the cars pulling straight in like this /, a few handicapped places go like _. IMO, it takes away a few spots.

So I come around a corner, go to the right because I see a spot open, and as I was going to pull in, caught a van to my left; he was obviously doing the same thing, same spot. Being he was in a handicapped van, I was going to let him take it, another spot was opening up right next to it. So I wait, horns are honking.

Next thing I know, Mr van cuts me off, pulls into the spot I was going to let him have. As soon as the car pulls out, I take the spot next to Mr van. He rolls his window down to apologize. Since I don't have handicapped plates and don't drive with my tag hanging, he had no clue I was waiting too.

People think that since I'm young I don't belong parking there. I can't count the number of people that have said something to me as I pulled in, before even hanging my tag. When they see me actually get out with a cane, they know I belong there.

I should be riding a cart but don't.
I would rather put up with the pain then to ride one.

Then there are shopping carts and business's lack of maintenance on them.
My local Walmart has the worst carts. I want to bring a marker with me to mark good and bad on them. The bad carts contribute to how I walk out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness