Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Genetics.
Smoking.
Diet.

My parents are 67 and 74. I have patients in their 40s and 50s who look more beat up than them...mostly bc of poor lifestyle choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I am a young LOOKING 77 yr old. I've been taking Pycnogenol and then got on Grape Seed Extract for going on 21 yrs. Started on Pycnogenol at 57. These OPC's address so many health conditions and are anti aging antioxidants.

My downfall is advancing OA and a mess of a hip replacement in 2010....I've aged from this replacement MESS but overall I look young, skin is youthful and I've never smoked. And these days I don't drink alcohol. I take many supplements and my MAIN one is the OPC class of antioxidants. DHEA starts to decline at 20-30 yrs of age, so I've been supplementing with DHEA for over 15 yrs under guidance of integrative MD. J

Old 01-23-2016, 08:27 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Forgetting genetics which we cant control, this is what I have read -

1. At least 30 minutes of exercise a day - break a sweat every day.

2. Drink lots of water.

3 Avoid deep fried food - except as a treat.

4. Avoid red meat.

5. Drink lots of water. No sugary drinks.

6. Take supplements - vitamins and minerals.

7. Take yoga or dance.

8. Avoid negative people.

9 Do not be a hermit - get involved with activities in your community.

10. Keep a circle of good, supportive, friends.

11. Do things to help others.

12. Don't live in a state of fear or paranoia.

13. Die anyway.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
True you are gonna die anyway, but work to go there in best health you can. The OPC's do wonderful things to our bodies.... Do your best to avoid doctors, they really don't care about us.
We are in charge and control of our lives and knowledge is powerful.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:57 AM

617 posts, read 1,202,233 times
I think we're getting closer and closer to a "fountain of youth", of sorts. There are the various studies showing telomerase activation, David Sinclair's study - boosting of cellular NAD+ levels using Nicotinamide Monunucleotide, glycine treatment of cell cultures, and the Baati study with rats administered C60 diluted in olive oil (They lived 90% longer than controls). By combining these and others, maybe we'll get somewhere.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:45 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
My friend's parents are both 100 years old and still live in their own home. Their daughter lives with them to help with shopping, cooking, transportation.

The wife has a mind that is still sharp as a tack; her only issue is her vision is failing. She otherwise gets around very well and still does housework.

The husband has more medical issues and spends a good portion of the day sleeping.

The son is in his 70s and has more medical problems than his parents.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:56 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Genetics plays a large part, but it also helps if you don't abuse your body. Most of my relatives were active and running around well into their 80s. One of the great uncles lived to be 106. I'm not sure any of these people did anything special to keep from becoming "old." Still, at some point you begin to slow down. It happens to everyone, I'm afraid. Why worry about it? Just live your life the best you can.

I'm 64, but I guess that fact has yet to sink into my head. I can still do anything I could do when I was 24. Right now, I'm in the middle of trying to fix up a house to sell, but in a few months I'll be off again on some sort of very long vacation. I was even thinking about a trek to the Mt. Everest base camp.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:02 PM

607 posts, read 602,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
I'm 64, but I guess that fact has yet to sink into my head. I can still do anything I could do when I was 24. Right now, I'm in the middle of trying to fix up a house to sell, but in a few months I'll be off again on some sort of very long vacation. I was even thinking about a trek to the Mt. Everest base camp.
I hope that's me in 30 years. I so much want to be one of those elderly people who is super active, still exercises, has all their wits about them and memory in tact, still "gets it" - you know what I mean. I can't bear the thought of being a decrepit, immobile, old person who is just barely existing. That's no life. I'm determined to do everything I can to live WELL into a very old age.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Avoid becoming old, yeah......die young!

OK, one way I would suggest is don't smoke.....it'll make you look like a walking-corpse. Avoid getting hugely fat......the body just cannot function properly with all that excess, especially when you get over 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness