Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:32 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
While I do think that statins can be problematic, and there is no clear consensus that high cholesterol and/or triglycerides really are actually harmful (even doctors disagree on this), I just want to point out that dementia is often luck of the draw. Your parents drew good cards. My mother didn't. She took supplements all her life, exercised, maintained a healthy weight, and her lab work and blood pressure and all that was always PERFECT. When she had a stroke at age 65, she fell into that 20 percent of stroke victims who have a stroke for no apparent reason - no preexisting conditions that would elevate her risk at all. Now she has dementia and she is 79. So who knows?

Also, people live longer now and I feel that's the main reason we see more dementia - we're living longer, taking more meds, having surgery and anesthesia at later and later times in our lives, and all those things can contribute to the development of dementia.
Kathryn, I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I can't think of many diseases that can be worse. We have several friends, who are developing signs of dementia. AS for your comment about anesthesia, that is one reason hubby and I will resist having major surgery unless it is a life threatening illness. Hubby has had his share and yes, his mind or at least memory has been affected to some degree.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Thinking last night about this subject and IF I would be taking any drugs and info came out that they can affect memory, I know I would drop them like a hot potato. I did that when I heard about the benzo and memory issue info. Have not touched a dab of benzo since and that's been over a year or more ago.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:43 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
possible not likely today. Most of us have regular check ups which include screening for diabetes.
Most of us? Meaning who? Even kids are affected by this. Do they get regular lab work?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:06 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I hope in your long run, your memory stays with the run.

Again, since I've been taking the statin for about 20 years, I would say my memory has already stayed with the long run.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:21 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Since I've been taking the statin for about 20 years, I'd say it's already in the long run.
They've been saving my life for over 30 years. I'll keep taking them

Old 08-21-2018, 03:40 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Hey, I read the whole thread and was glad to find it. I have been scared to take statins for years. My grandfather passed away due to heart attack, my father (I still miss him!) passed away due to heart attack. I never had an attack yet (I am in my upper 40's), I exercise regularly and often, eat fish all the time. Total Chol around 290, LDL around 200, HDL 62, low blood pressure, and normal blood sugar.
I am finally for the first time(with reservation) taking (low dose) 5 mg crestor every other day, that my Doctor recommended, and it seems to be ok so far....
My doctor has been trying for years to get me to take a statin. I tried natural methods and pills for years , as well as grape juice, but it just seems some people have tough genetics and family histories...
It sounds like you did what you could - I'm afraid some here would berate you that you didn't try long enough or hard enough to avoid statins. But you did try and you're now starting on a very low dose that may serve you well as is. I think we all do what we can...sometimes lifestyle is enough but sometimes genetics overrules it.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:05 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It sounds like you did what you could - I'm afraid some here would berate you that you didn't try long enough or hard enough to avoid statins. But you did try and you're now starting on a very low dose that may serve you well as is. I think we all do what we can...sometimes lifestyle is enough but sometimes genetics overrules it.
High cholesterol does not mean he has heart disease. You can get tested for artery problems. There isn't a good reason for taking statins based only on high cholesterol.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:06 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
They've been saving my life for over 30 years. I'll keep taking them
How could you possibly know if they saved your life or not?

Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
How could you possibly know if they saved your life or not?
All I know is that cholesterol is down +/- 200 points since I had quintuple bypass and the bypassed arteries were clogged as Hell.

I've been followed by the Cholesterol Clinic for 25 years, first Zocor, then Lipitor and now Crestor and Zetia.

Today they are squeaky clean!

So, good for nothin, I DO KNOW!!!!!

Old 08-21-2018, 05:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
All I know is that cholesterol is down +/- 200 points since I had quintuple bypass and the bypassed arteries were clogged as Hell.

I've been followed by the Cholesterol Clinic for 25 years, first Zocor, then Lipitor and now Crestor and Zetia.

Today they are squeaky clean!

So, good for nothin, I DO KNOW!!!!!

Wow, congratulations, squeaky clean arteries are good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness