Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times

Advertisements

Washing your hair in the tub is very enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 02:27 PM

19,706 posts, read 20,236,139 times
I sooo enjoy baths.. & that relaxing glass of lemonade on the front porch sounds downright heavenly!

Old 11-10-2015, 10:48 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I thought I'd regret opening this thread, judging by the title. Okay, it's not that bad.

I can sit ANYWHERE if I have a book to read. HOWEVER I love a VERY hot bath and it never stays very hot for long.
I fill the tub about half as high as I'd like it to be then leave the tap on a very thin stream. The tub slowly fills with hot water. By the time the water begins to cool, I'm ready to get out.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:52 PM

373 posts, read 482,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ok, I have been involved in activities recently that are such that I benefit from Epsom salt baths. I have a very nice tub. It is large, and it has 6 powerful jets. My bathroom is also spacious and airy and has a soothing island theme. I have purchased relaxation oils to add to the salts.

I have uninterrupted time, unlimited hot water, and nice drinks, snacks, and books/podcasts.

Or I can sit in silence.

My weirdo question is...why don't I enjoy the bath? Seriously. Isn't this supposed to be a really luxurious and relaxing thing to do?

What am I doing wrong?
Forget the salt. Get a girl in the tub with you.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:07 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Plus, unless the jetted tub is new to you, it can harbor some nasty bacteria. They are very difficult to get truly clean.

I like the Japanese way of taking baths, not only the soaking tub, but cleaning the body with soap before the soak in the tub, so the bathtub water remains clean. Japanese have drains in the floors of the rooms with the tub, so one is fully clean before the bath, and the tub is kept as warm as one likes (usually natural gas, but could be electric) throughout the bath.

Here's a picture showing the drain in the floor:

I've read so many posts here over the years about people who are freaked out by sitting in a tub of water--because it's a filthy, disgusting thing to do. If you wash, soak, rinse, you win.

1) wash/shower
2)soak in the tub
3)rinse

I don't know why people can't comprehend that.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:09 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Because baths are boring, and after a while the thought that you're sitting around in a warm broth of dead skin cells and other assorted things is pretty unappealing.

I always wanted a big tub and was delighted when I got it. But then I realized that I don't really like taking baths. My kids really enjoy using the tub though, so it's not a total waste.
Gross lol, that first sentence was just ugh.. It's true but I've never thought of it like that. :/

Old 11-21-2015, 06:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Gross lol, that first sentence was just ugh.. It's true but I've never thought of it like that. :/
You need to read the post above, i.e.

"I've read so many posts here over the years about people who are freaked out by sitting in a tub of water--because it's a filthy, disgusting thing to do. If you wash, soak, rinse, you win.

1) wash/shower
2)soak in the tub
3)rinse

I don't know why people can't comprehend that."

and also mine (with the picture) that describes the Japanese style of bathing where all washing and scrubbing is done prior to getting into the tub, so that one bathes in a consistently warm-to-hot tub in very clean water.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:29 AM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I do wonder if there's something inherently wrong if you've reached the point where you can't "turn off."

You know, people used to get a glass of lemonade and sit on their porches and just look at their street or yard or whatever.

Can you imagine?

I am thinking there is a loss of a meditative state in there somewhere.

Plus, Kathryn is right...first it's too hot, then too cold, etc.
Then when you get old, there is the PIA aspect of getting in and out of that tub. Especially those nice big deep soaker tubs.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:39 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
We have a nice deep soaker tub, the kind that's dropped into a tile platform. I sit on the edge of the platform then lower myself in, but I gotta say, hauling myself out of there gets harder and harder. Plus, I don't like drying off and having dried soap all over my skin which gets itchy, so I usually shower off after. I think the Japanese have the right idea..

It's supposed to relax us, right? I do like the way I can get my feet softer by soaking. But, I regret to say, it's nerve-wracking to be just sitting in water when I could be laying under a soft blanket. I also find I can only do 5 min. tops on my lovely front porch without jumping out of my rocker to go get something accomplished. We're the only ones in our neighborhood with a front porch, so there's nothing interesting to look at... maybe the glass of wine would help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness