Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:15 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times

Advertisements

Well, it isn't really well understood so i can't tell you why it isn't all over - the facial blood vessels are more sensitive to repeated flushing for some reason. However when I flush sometimes other areas are involved like my upper chest, but I have no persistent redness there yet. The persistent redness is caused when repeated flushing reduces the ability of the blood vessels to contract following a flush and they wind up perpetually dilated. If you look up rosacea vascular on google you'll find lots of information on this angle.

Regarding the hard water - my skin is definitely better in a neutral or soft water situation. Salt water also seems to improve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Does anyone know the difference between Rosacea and Discoid Lupus Erythematosus? I just looked at the pics of Rosacea, it looks closer to what's on my hubby then what he was diagnosed with (DLE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Most definitely 'maddening.' I would have told you that as a young woman I received a lot of compliments on 'perfect skin.' The irony; but one dermatologist told me that there was some speculation that people who had little acne as teens often ended up with odd skin problems later in life. In my 20s, it was pityriasis rosea (or however you spell that -- I called it "feel-sorry-for-yourself-because-you-are-covered-in-red-dots" disease).
That was me too..
Now in my 40's when I don't get enough sleep I get dark, dark bags.
Red marks off and on.

I've found St Ives face scrub (medicated) the only thing that helps. I miss one day of that and I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
I never had a problem with my skin before I moved to a less humid area. I live in Vermont now and I am outside a lot more than where I lived previously. I do feel the change in my skin has a lot to do with the change from public water to well water which is very hard. I have someone coming next week to give me a price on a filtration system. I am hoping that will help some of the problem. I have to stay out of the sun and try not to stress to much because that aggravates my skin. I wash my face with Cetaphil and use my fingers, never a washcloth.
Once you put a softener on the system you'll actually like it better then city water. I just came from a town where we had our own well, now I have city water, my skin is so dry. The only time I had issues with well water was if the salt wasn't adjusted right.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
It appears that I cannot edit my posts on this forum after some time has passed.

I just wanted to add that I didn't withhold a link to my source to be difficult, I read it some time ago when I did my initial research after my diagnosis and don't remember exactly where.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:11 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
Try minocycline? That is an anti-biotic but it is softer on the stomach. I take two 100 mg gelcaps a day with milk and that does the trick.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 PM

332 posts, read 1,430,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Does anyone know the difference between Rosacea and Discoid Lupus Erythematosus? I just looked at the pics of Rosacea, it looks closer to what's on my hubby then what he was diagnosed with (DLE).

Yes, discoid lupus can be immediately scarring after an attack. You will get a lesion that is substantial in severity and localized (compared to rosacea which is all over your face... and when it is over, you will have a noticeable scar on skin.

My understanding of rosacea is that it's accumulative, meaning that over time, it will damage due to the inflammation, but one single attack is not necessarily enough to permanently scar your face.

Both are inflammation disorders... but I think triggers are different, damage is different, and treatment is different...

Old 05-11-2009, 04:51 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Yes, discoid lupus can be immediately scarring after an attack. You will get a lesion that is substantial in severity and localized (compared to rosacea which is all over your face... and when it is over, you will have a noticeable scar on skin.

My understanding of rosacea is that it's accumulative, meaning that over time, it will damage due to the inflammation, but one single attack is not necessarily enough to permanently scar your face.

Both are inflammation disorders... but I think triggers are different, damage is different, and treatment is different...
He has bumps all over - some scar some don't.
I actually wonder if he has both. They biopsied his back and came up the the diagnosis from that, not from one on his face/head.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:50 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
I have light rosacea (gotta love the Celtic genes) and my normal routine has been to just use a gentle cleanser and moisturizer before bed. I recently added witch hazel to the routine (toner) after cleansing and before moisturizing and I've found that has toned down the redness a few notches and evened out my skin tone. The redness is still 'there' but less than before and mostly when i'm hot, stressed or just tired. I always find if I don't get enough sleep that i'm more red than if i'm well rested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness