Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2016, 12:25 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,953 times

Advertisements

Mr. Daynet has rheumatoid arthritis. It's a condition that reared its nasty head about fifteen years ago.

He tried acupuncture to relieve the pain, and it was beginning to work, but sadly, he thought that it was taking too long.

He was still working at the time, and he worked at a physical job in a large food production company. He began to use Oxycontin to relieve his pain; he gleaned them from a co-worker whose husband had a prescription but didn't want to take them. Of course, he became addicted to them.

He had no choice but to shake the Oxy, though. He retired, and then the food production company in Montreal shut down. No more access to the pills, and I was so relieved. Don't think that he didn't go skulking around from doctor to doctor trying. Only one doctor gave him a prescription, for $100.00, that is!

Fast forward to about 2010. He was prescribed Lyrica from a doctor, a private doctor, who charges $300.00 per visit.

She didn't think to ask him if he'd had addiction problems in the past, which is my real bone of contention.

The Lyrica made Mr. Daynet feel drowsy, and he gained a lot of weight. He began to supplement the Lyrica with amphetamines. He buys them from someone we know.

As if dealing with Mr. Daynet when he was on Oxy wasn't bad enough - sometimes I'd have to check on him while he slept to make sure he was still breathing, his skin took on a sickly greyish pallor and he lost a lot of weight - this combination is much, much worse.

He is due to make an appointment to see this $300.00 an hour quack again so he can have his meds renewed.

I am going to go with him and sit in during at least part of the appointment if I can. I want that doctor to see first hand what she's done to me...although Mr. Daynet is certainly the one I focus upon more than I do myself. Lyrica is the drug from hell. Google it. Top it off with paranoia-inducing amphetamines.

I have become more depressed than ever and an old affliction from the '70s that I had has resurfaced, good ol' anorexia.

My question to you gentle readers is would you do the same thing? Try to sit in on a bit of the appointment and ask the doctor in so many words what the feck she's doing prescribing such a drug as Lyrica to Mr. Daynet? Oh, she knows about the amphetamines, Mr. Daynet told her about them. All she said was, "They're bad for your heart."

Well, no ****, Sherlock!

I am boiling! Sorry this rant is so long.

What would you do if you were in my place? Ideally, I'd like Mr. Daynet to go to rehab, but that's a pipe dream. By the way, I'm not a saint myself. I like to drink beer on the weekends, as does Mr. Daynet.

I welcome and appreciate any input, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
You can go and rat your husband out, but be mad at him, not the doctor. I take a high does of Lyrica and have minor side effects (may contribute to my slight weight gain).

If he has RA he should be taking anti-inflammatories or biologics. She is probably giving him Lyrica instead of pain killers.

It's not the doctors fault your husband has an addictive personality and is procuring illegal drugs on the side.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
What about an anti-inflammatory like diclofenac? It works a lot better than ibuprofen but you don't get any kind of high or buzz from it. It's a prescription, but it would be worth asking the doctor about it.

I don't know how much you can help your husband when he doesn't want help. He's shown that he has no problem seeking meds or buying them illegally, so even if this particular doctor doesn't prescribe for him again, he'll just get them somewhere else.

What about going to Nar-Anon meetings? It's a support group for family members of drug addicts. What's Nar-Anon? Maybe you could find strategies for coping with your husband's addiction, if he doesn't want to stop and you don't want to leave him.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:25 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
Usually, after a short period of time Lyrica stops making one sleepy. It never made me "high", although I have always been on meds that are far more powerful than Lyrica.

I agree with Mikala that your husband has an addictive personality that cannot be blamed on his Doctor. The fact that you both have chosen to see a Doctor who charges $300.00 is on you. Surely, there must be other Rheumatologists in you area who do not charge so much. Even a PCM should be able to prescribe Lyrica as long as your husband is not having issues with his RA. His PCM should have the capability to confer with the Rheumie in order to coordinate care for him.

Has he been presented with biologics like Enbrel, Remicade or Humira? These can really help with RA.

Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
First, be SURE he has RA....my sister-in-law was told at an early age she had it...and she, too, became addicted to pain meds...they ultimately killed her. During her last hospital stay (for overdose), the doctor told us she had NO signs of RA at all...so the "pain" she was feeling was her addiction...not a medical issue.

It's true...if your husband isn't willing to get help...there is no help for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness