Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:26 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times

Advertisements

Drink alkaline water to compensate for acid intake. My Seycelle water filters offer a good hit of alkalinity. Coffee especially lattes and sweet sugary
types along with soda are contributors to cancer as they feed cancer cells .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:33 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,049,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigboo View Post
I couldn't quite understand the question -- do you have problems with too much acid or too little acid?
I see some folks recommended baking soda, which is alkaline, but don't use that if you have high blood pressure.

I have no earthly idea if I have too much or too little acid. Only recently my stomach is bothering me and I figured out (so far) it is coffee. Also, the thought of putting baking soda in my coffee turns my stomach~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Try a tums.....won't hurt...might help!

That is what someone told me and it does help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Hi veggienut, I don't think I have an issue with coffee, but I've been loving cold brewed coffee which is less acidic---I just like the taste/smoothness. According to Food52, "The grounds aren’t subjected to the intense heat of boiling water, making the chemical profile of the final brew different than that of conventionally brewed or drip coffee. Lower acidity creates a smoother cup that’s mellow on the stomach. Similarly, rapidly cooling hot coffee yields a slightly bitter taste. Cold brew’s lower acidity means it naturally tastes sweeter."

I love iced coffee---but I've heard that people take the cold brew concentrate and put it in hot water.

To make a couple cups, I put 6 T of ground coffee with 1.5 cups of water into a French press and let it sit for 12 hours. Then press it and voila---cold brew coffee which is then diluted with water/milk.

Are you a vegan (your screen name being veggie nut)? Can I ask how you know you have low acid---I have some issues which I attribute to high acid, but I've heard that maybe it's really low acid.

I never heard of "cold brew" until yesterday and before I read these posting. Now and then I did drink cold coffee when I had a K-cup machine. I had so many issues with mine, I took it back more than once and then got a Starbucks machine during Christmas. I haven't had this machine a month or a bit longer and my stomach issues began.

I am a vegetarian, and not vegan...tho at one time I was pretty much or close to vegan. I have no earthly idea as I mentioned to the above poster, if I have low or high acid. Coffee is triggering my stomach only the last few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Drink alkaline water to compensate for acid intake. My Seycelle water filters offer a good hit of alkalinity. Coffee especially lattes and sweet sugary
types along with soda are contributors to cancer as they feed cancer cells .

My fridge has a water filter.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:14 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
veggienut, if TUMs help, then you have indigestion - the HCL naturally present in your stomach is, for whatever reason, pushing up into your esophagus. Sometimes called an "acid stomach" which is a pretty silly thing since your stomach is supposed to be acidic. Sometimes called acid indigestion, sometimes called reflux, also esophogeal regurgitation.

Keep track of what you're eating, and when you're eating it, and how much of it you're eating. Compare with the individual events of your discomfort. Chances are it's something you're eating in a certain order (like, having a cup of coffee when you first wake up and then taking a calcium tablet, with no other food til lunch. Or - eating a lot of bread for breakfast and not having any water til snack time. Or - downing a dozen jalapeno poppers for supper, deep-fried extra crispy in canola oil on your stovetop, and then enjoying a pistachio hot fudge sundae with marshmallow fluff and Reese's Pieces). Binge eating can do this too, if you eat til you're totally stuffed for a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness