Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Hi,

It's been about a month and a half since I had cataract surgery. I have had 3 follow-up appointments since then. The doctor checked general visual acuity, checked to make sure there were no infections. She also checked the pressure in each eye. Both were fine.

Although my distance vision is improving, I told my doctor that I am still having some blurry vision at times, and also seeing halos around lights. She said this is normal and sometimes it takes time to fully correct this. She also checked for "dry eye" symptoms which I do have, so she suggested I use lubricant eye drops for dry eyes. I'm hoping this helps. I have another follow-up appointment in two months. Hopefully things will have improved even more. I appreciate all of your responses and information.
Glad to hear back from you and nice to know that you seem to be doing well. So you are still improving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 05:51 AM

240 posts, read 267,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Glad to hear back from you and nice to know that you seem to be doing well. So you are still improving!
Yes, I am still improving. The doctor suggested using the dry eye lubricant drops for a few weeks at least. My distance vision has improved greatly. I only use regular sunglasses which is frequently since I live in Florida. Sometimes I experience some flickering inside with brighter lights. Hopefully these minor issues will improve with time. Thanks for your concern.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:00 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Default Cataract removal feedback sought

Seeking real life feedback from ones who had cataracts removed and replaced with prosthetic lens.

I'd appreciate only those who actually had this done. There are several approaches to do this, which one was yours? What type of lens? Any side effects? Improvements?

Thank you

Old 05-28-2016, 11:05 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Seeking real life feedback from ones who had cataracts removed and replaced with prosthetic lens.

I'd appreciate only those who actually had this done. There are several approaches to do this, which one was yours? What type of lens? Any side effects? Improvements?

Thank you
I had it done a few days ago. I am VERY interested too!

I've combined this thread with an older thread so you can read all the other experiences.

Mine: Just done four days ago. I was extremely near sighted, blind as a bat. No astigmatism, contrary to what I thought.

One eye was done and it was corrected for distance. No toric lens--that's for astigmatism. My vision is blurry in the eye but they say it could get better. Color is definitely improved and things that looked tan are actually white. The sky is blue, not tan.

Distance vision is very much improved and I keep saying I could probably see a hummingbird a mile away, lol. But I can't see very well across the room and close up is impossible.

I was going to go for distance in the other eye too but now I'm wondering. It's nice being able to read a prescription bottle even if you have to hold it close to your eyes--same with reading on your phone. With the corrected eye, this ability is gone and I would have to put on glasses. I wouldn't mind glasses for reading but to have to fish around for glasses when I'm in bed and need to take some prescription? Or to read my phone in bed?

Old 05-28-2016, 12:02 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,694,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Thank you very much for that information and also for the link. It helps a lot. That is the dilemma I am in now. I really need the distance vision corrected but not the close-up reading glasses. I am surprised that Medicare does not even pay for the portion of the multi-focus lenses that correct distance vision. I was told that the reason they don't cover these lenses are because they aren't considered "medically necessary." I am going for a second opinion at another eye doctor. Just hoping to clarify some things.
Thanks again.
I had surgery with the toric lens medicare did cover all but the upgrade of about 350.00 for each toric lens. I got that one to correct an astigmatism. distance vision fine and cheap readers
rather than progressive glasses I had. One time they did cover none but did decide they would cover the basic lens.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:23 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I had Toric lense implants and it was extremely successful. Went from 20/50 to 20/10. Colors are brighter, sharpness is fantastic. No need to wear sunglasses except in extreme light conditions. At 10 feet away from the TV I can see all the pixels that make up the pictures.
Insurance did not cover the procedure.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:35 AM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Intraocular Cataract Lenses (IOLs): Premium | Aspheric | Toric

Old 05-30-2016, 04:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

Glad to see this thread is still going. Just an update: I had the multifocal IOL cataract surgery done back in March of this year. This type of surgery is supposed to correct both distance vision and up close reading vision. Since I never needed reading glasses, I thought this was the best choice since I really didn't want to have surgery which would make my reading vision worse.

My distant vision has improved. I still have some blurring and I see halos around lights. The road signs are easier to see, except for street names which are green and white here in SW Florida. My close-up reading vision is improving. The only thing is the intermediate vision; for example, there is some fuzziness when looking at the desktop computer. If I move the screen closer, say, about 12 inches away, it gets better. I was told by my doctor during my last follow-up visit that sometimes it takes some time for the brain to adjust to the surgery.

I am going for another follow-up check with my eye doctor at the end of June. I am going to mention these concerns to her at that time. I am still glad I did the surgery since I can see pretty well without any glasses.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:49 PM

Hi,

I am glad to see this thread is still going. Just an update on my cataract surgery. I had it done back in March of this year. After my original eye exam and consultation, I decided to go with the multifocal IOL cataract surgery. This type is supposed to enable you to see both distance and close-up vision without the need for glasses. My close-up vision has always been fine without the help of glasses, and I didn't want to start using reading glasses. However, I have always needed glasses for distance vision. My eye doctor felt I was a good candidate for this type of surgery.

The surgery itself went very well. It was quick, but the pre-surgery preparation takes awhile. They did one eye first, then a week later, they did the other eye. I had several follow-up checks after the surgery.

At this point, My distance vision has improved and I don't need glasses. However, I do still have some blurring, especially when transitioning from distance to intermediate vision (like when you use a desktop computer). I see halos around lights and some street names are hard to see, since they are green and white here in SW Florida. Most of the regular road signs, I can read without any problem, and I don't need any reading glasses. I was told during my follow-up checks that it can take time for the brain to adjust to the surgery.

I go back to the doctor at the end of June for another check-up. At that time I will mention some of these concerns. Overall, I am glad I did the surgery and it is a lot better not to wear any glasses.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
I have worried about these issues for fifteen years. I have small cataracts in both eyes. My eye surgeon thought that I would have needed the surgery fourteen years ago; right after I had a hook caught in my left eye that left it permanently dilated. My surgeon is worried because the hook had damaged my eye and that the cataract surgery would not be just a 'simple' surgery and might leave me blind in that eye or with impaired vision. From my surgeon's experience; many times traumatic damage to an eye rushed the development of cataracts - fortunately my cataracts, in both eyes, continue to grow slowly and I have not needed the surgery.

So, by the time I finally need this surgery; I am hoping that we have had made advances in surgical procedures that will increase my chances of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness