Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 07:02 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times

Advertisements

I've had this condition for 20+ years and have had several surgeries for it. Surgery gets rid of it for a while and it pops back up somewhere else.

I've never heard of the silver stuff or foot powder but will look into it.

Best of luck to all of you with this awful condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 04:29 PM

3 posts, read 24,716 times
Can anyone suggest a way to filter through doctors to find the right one to treat HS?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM

I am the parent of a son in his 20s who suffers from HS. Finding a doctor has been the biggest initial problem (beyond the disease.) Most don't have a clue how to treat HS. Many just want to lance - which when a person is in pain - seems like a great plan, but it doesn't help the disease. Most also will not give long term antibiotics. We have tried a family doc, dermatologists, a surgeons with various specialties, and the ER. Obviously, I would not be posting this if it weren't a major issue faced by sufferers of HS. Anyone else have this problem? Dermatologists deal with cosmetic situations. We are dealing with a medical situation. Any suggestions?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM

128 posts, read 207,701 times
I have had HS since I was 10, ..sick and tired of it. Had my first surgery when I was 30...am now 46...My surgeries didn't take...I had it done in my left groin twice, and a 36 stitch z-flap on my A**. Still dealing with open, draining, and or bleeding wounds...Antibiotics are no help, my only relief of pain is Hydrocodone that my surgeon has generously supplied me of. I find I feel so much better in the salt water at the beach....but hours later, the pain returns. My HS is confined to my Inner and Outer Labia, Both sides of my Groin, and my A**. It had at one point reached my inner thigh...until I slathered it with Neosporin. It shrunk from an Egg size to a grape size in 3 days. It never opened or drained...

Old 07-02-2013, 03:47 AM

128 posts, read 207,701 times
Nothing works for me, I have had this condition for 35 years now....every once in awhile one will close up...and that is from using Prescription silver sulfadiazine cream....although it can take up to a year to close...I use it twice a day. Unlike most people a Gluten Free Diet doesn't work for me...I haven't eaten gluten in 15 years, and it has done absolutely nothing for my health or Hidradenitis except to not make my throat and tongue swell up. Things that work for some people won't work for others....it's all trial and error, that is it. I hope you find what works for you...

Old 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM

What is the consensus about doctors?
Would you suggest a dermatologist over a doctor or clinic that specializes in immune deficiencies?
How about experimental drugs? They scare me.
I have read everything online from the general to what part of the DNA chain this condition is from.
Everything I see is disheartening.
I am not the one who suffers. That person refuses medical care because of horrid outcomes.
I would do anything to get him to be under a doctor's care, however, he is an adult and my efforts are ignored. I guess it's sort of like AA. The patient has to seek help, not the parent of the patient.
It's very difficult.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 55,910 times
Default Short update

I have been taking Humira for 3 months now and I am feeling much better. I will keep you all updated .

Old 09-30-2013, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 8,170 times
Default Hs

Try Nivea for men sensitive protect. It's a new roll on anti perspiration.(White colour)I had HS for about 3 years and started to use this product and have not had a problem since.( 8 months ago)If I forget to use it I start to develop nasty lumps under my armpits however when I reapply, it is treated within 24 hours. Just thought I'd let you know what works for me.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 8,070 times
My son has been diagnosed with HS.I know that I should be researching for cures,but at this point if I could just find something to ease the pain.He just had the 3rd surgery in which this time they removed skin from the growing area.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeball View Post
I have been taking Humira for 3 months now and I am feeling much better. I will keep you all updated .
A lot of people have great success with Humira. My dermatologist wanted to put me on it, but the side effects were too risky for me (2 years in remission from lymphoma means taking anything with "lymphoma" in the side effects is a no-go). Good luck with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness