Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 09:44 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Update almost 2 years later:

I had my inguinal hernia repaired on the opposite side repaired 4 days ago. While he was doing that repair, he also repaired the first hernia which I guess needed some shoring up, so I wound up having both sides done. It was laparoscopic this time. It went well, I was surprised when they told be before hand I was going to have a breathing tube and my breathing would be done by ventilator during the procedure. Everything seems to have gone well. The usual pain, but nothing too bad.

I go back to work tomorrow which is the 5th day since the surgery. Normally my work is quite physical, but I'm going to be on light duty for some time.

If anybody has any war stories, I'd love to hear them.

SO, the surgeon had to "shore up" the first hernia-repair..........can you be a little more specific about what that means. I assume that surgical-mesh was used and it needed to be re-anchored????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 05:08 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,444,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
SO, the surgeon had to "shore up" the first hernia-repair..........can you be a little more specific about what that means. I assume that surgical-mesh was used and it needed to be re-anchored????
I have to go in for a follow up at some point soon and speak with the surgeon. I really don't know any specifics because he was already gone when I was in the recovery room. My daughter relayed the message about what happened. Prior to surgery I told him if anything needed to be done to repair the repair, to please do it. Apparently that was indeed the case. When I find out the details I'll relay the info here.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
My husband has had 4 hernia surgeries....the first was umbilical....got infected...what a mess!

The other 3 were "incisional" hernias, due to a triple A surgery...cut him from stem to stern...the skin healed WELL before the muscle mass...and he had about 14 different hernias. They fixed the 1st several on the 1st surgery...mesh and stuff....then did the lower ones...but missed one...so a 3rd surgery had to happen. The doctor didn't charge us for the last one, since he should have fixed it on the 2nd round.....but of course, the hospital and other folks charged......yikes!
darn sounds almost like my husband. His first one was way before all his cancer surgeries, but the others probably had to do with surgeries. The one he still has is very large, but causing no problems and he has decided to leave it be. The only problem is how it looks. He is self conscious about how it looks when he wears a swim suit, but otherwise is fine with it. That's OK because from the cancer hormones he has boobs also; yes, he does look strange in a swim suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness