Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times

Advertisements

From what I understand some can do very well with 1 PRP session and others need more.

Mashed potatoes are NOT your best choice...White Foods Starchy...avoid starches. Butter and coconut oil are good oil and olive oil.

There is a new book out Eat Fat, Get Lean...something like that. I've seen the author
Dr. Mark Hyman on PBS lecturing on the need for good fats....

My folks lived into 90's and were not skinny minnies, but not obese and ate everything...didn't hold back on fats...olive oil and butter. No non fat, low fat foods in their lives..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:53 PM

20 posts, read 15,516 times
Any particular brand of glucosamine you recommend? I've never tried supplements for my knee before. Just some Boswelia, although it didn't have any effect. If you know what that is...

Gonna pick some up today at WalGreens

Old 03-18-2016, 01:57 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1385 View Post
I am in the US so I think PRP would be more doable than orthokine. I should look into it. Haven't been to a doctors office about my knees in awhile. Last time was probably 3-4 years ago and they just told me the MRI checked out OK and I needed to do stretches. I'm not sure how the cartilag would look now but I'm definitely in a good deal of pain on a daily basis.

I'm definitely gonna keep trying to lose weight. Actually going to do a "Gut cleanse" next week as most of my fat is in the gut area. Been wanting to try something like this for awhile.

It just sucks being so young and being limited with sore knees all the time. Can't really do much like other people my age.

Hopefully some type of regenerative therapy breakthrough comes along sooner than later. I'll look into the KT tape. Thanks guys.
I was reading an interesting article that gave 16 signs of low Vitamin D levels. I was amazed of the totality of the symptoms, It included a lot of bone and joint pains. among others Stories about symptoms when most treatments were unsuccessful..then after multiple referrals, costly treatments..for months..they did a blood test..Voila..LOW Vitamin D levels!!

This is an older article ( couldn't locate the one I read last night)..it explains why Vit. D deficiency causes such a myriad of symptoms.

Discover the Pain of Vitamin D Deficiency - NaturalNews.com

Just thought I would mention this as ruling it in or out could save you a lot of $/time/discomfort ..Good luck

Old 03-18-2016, 02:55 PM

I was shocked at how deficient I was in Vit D back in 2006. And I live in So. Cal. BUT came in from years of sun in my early 50's...so for most of my life my D was good and then when I came in from the beaches my D tank began to deplete. I've read somewhere that a day at the beach in the SUN, can product like 40K of Vit D in one's body. Or maybe it was 20K....but a lot. I was feeling a lowness and this led me to the Vit D deficiency.

My joints are worse with aging and the mess from hip replacement outcome...shorter leg and nerve damage and IT band damge...all affects my right leg and knee and ankle.

There are many brands of glucosamine and I buy the sulfate and don't usually take the one with chondrotin. But everyone is different and everyone goes their way. But I think sticking with it for at least 6 months or more would be key. Give it a good chance to work. I took it off and on for years but now sticking with it daily going into 2 yrs.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:47 PM

Just picked up the CVS brand of Glucosamine chondroitin D3 2000 IU per serving

took 1....will take 2 a day. Hopefully it is good for something. Reviews seem decent from what I've looked up online.

A different brand but same product had 75% 5 star reviews on amazon.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1385 View Post
Just picked up the CVS brand of Glucosamine chondroitin D3 2000 IU per serving

took 1....will take 2 a day. Hopefully it is good for something. Reviews seem decent from what I've looked up online.

A different brand but same product had 75% 5 star reviews on amazon.
I'm telling you KT tape works.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:00 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Switch over to bicycle riding instead of running or jogging - a stationary bike is okay, too. Neither will stress your knees, and you'll still get the cardio workout and muscle-building exercise you need. Once the muscles are strengthened, they can take a load off your knees to some degree. I'm told swimming has similar benefits, but haven't tried it.

When your knees are really giving you fits, try a moist heating pad on them, along with a pillow beneath your knees when you sleep. A simple wrap-around fabric brace can provide considerable stability without bulk - no need to go to the rather clumsy ones initially, when a lighter-weight, inexpensive brace might do the trick just as well.

Don't diminish the help that smelly rub-on counter-irritant creams can offer - just don't use them in conjunction with a heating pad. Proper use of such creams can keep muscles from spasming, by distracting with alternately hot-cold sensations, which also counters pain.

If you don't get good results from suggestions like these, see an orthopedic doctor and find out what's going on. A short physical therapy course might be indicated, with specific exercises to help address the problem.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
How about go to an orthopaedic doctor who knows knees and have him/her take a look?
You may have some meniscus tears. No amount of brown rice or wight loss will help that.
Get some actual factual info and go from there.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
How about go to an orthopaedic doctor who knows knees and have him/her take a look?
You may have some meniscus tears. No amount of brown rice or wight loss will help that.
Get some actual factual info and go from there.
Yeah, I definitely think that is a good idea.

I wanna just try to keep dropping the pounds first, maybe another month or so of weight loss as long as the pain doesn't become too bad.

Don't want to go to the doctor and have to be told to lose weight as 1 of the reasons for the problem. Would rather take care of that myself.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:06 AM

MikeB, good thinking...I'm not one to run to MD's for everything I deal with. First I work to heal as much of myself on my own. I know what I'm doing and what I've done to my body. Don't need to pay a doc to tell me and write scripts for their drugs. There is so much info out there today and support groups are a goodsend...

A LOT of good info here on arthritis:

http://www.arthritis-relief-naturall...in-relief.html

One has to keep experimenting with what could help them. That's what MD's do with scripts.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-19-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness