Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM

26,667 posts, read 28,921,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I'm still amazed at how the average American doesn't even eat the recommended portions of fruits & veggies a day.
Eating 2-3 cups a day shouldn't be too hard of a task.
I like fruits and vegetables but I'm guilty of not getting enough. However, the fruit part is so easy if you have a blender of some sort. Milk (or rice/almond milk) frozen berries or a banana>>whizzz=a smoothie.

You can put slices of banana or peaches on your morning cereal too. Raisins in your oatmeal.

It's the vegetables I have a hard time with. I guess it's all that cutting and chopping. Although that's a poor excuse because there's a such thing as FROZEN and frozen vegetables are nutritious. Actually, you can throw spinach or other vegetables in the blender with your fruit drink and you'll never know the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:56 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,516,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep, this is true...what I found new, though, is that a mainstream healthcare organization is recommending a vegetarian diet for their clients.. You know, instead of following the traditional food pyramid.

Wondering if this will take vegetarianism out of the "fringe" realm that many regard it as (not me!) into being more acceptable to a wider number of people.

I have hope that more people can prevent illness and even reverse "chronic" conditions by an improved diet (plus exercise and stress reduction).
and Dr. Oz supports green smoothies, nothing new for a mainstream anyone to recommend something they get paid for.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:50 AM

48,718 posts, read 35,274,150 times
In our house I'm really strong on a variety of fruits and veggies every day. I can't control what hubby eats at work, but dinner will always have veggies snuck in. Like open faced angus burgers, put on a bed of spinach, topped with tomatoes, avocado and onions with baked yams and sweet potato fries. I sneak fresh spinach into everything.

My goal is to make the meat serving smaller and smaller and the grains and veggies the majority of the plate. Because of that, I am buying higher quality protein like grass fed beef.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-22-2016, 11:36 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,795,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
and Dr. Oz supports green smoothies, nothing new for a mainstream anyone to recommend something they get paid for.

Watch out for the oxalates in spinach. "Rotate" your leafy greens so you are eating a variety of different kinds.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:03 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,311,835 times
If we eliminated animal products and meat from our diet the healthcare world would crash! Meat based diets are responsible for heart disease, and many, many other things as well.
Do you know that also the environment would be much better. CO2; ha, it's methane that's mainly responsible for global warming. All that manure from all those farm factories...
Imagine a world where everyone was healthy with plant based diets.
It's the special interest groups and the cattlemen's association that squash any talk about how methane is killing our world. Now we're in a bunch of small electric cars while China and India almost have no regulations to speak of.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...duWSvtiQ2geNwA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...VM2HOMtpzUg3qA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HWjvFdkkrRntDA

It's called reality, but people still stuff themselves with meat, and meat by products...

Old 03-25-2016, 06:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,311,835 times
You need to watch out for the oxidase when going green. Spinach and Kale have large amounts. Oxidase loves to bind to calcium and the results are called kidney stones. I've had 2 ESWL's; so believe me when I say; watch the oxidase intake. AS for cruciferous vegetables...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ElOtvyxTk_JN5w

There's also talk about the thyroid and cruciferous vegetables; but no human based studies exist to point to; therefore enjoy!

Old 03-29-2016, 12:00 PM

583 posts, read 720,351 times
Superfood Swap Diet
Source: TV Documentary/Contest 'My Diet Is Better Than Yours'

Old 03-29-2016, 01:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,938,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
On a plant-based diet most will eventually develop micronutrient deficiencies. DHA and EPA, where do you get that in adequate amounts on a plant-based diet????? Animal-based foods are a much better source for things like Vit A, D3 and B12.
Please show the peer reviewed studies that show macronutrient deficiencies occur in plant based diets.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:09 PM

22,709 posts, read 24,788,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Please show the peer reviewed studies that show macronutrient deficiencies occur in plant based diets.

B12, if you are a Vegan and don't supplement! Plant based iron is much less bioavailable when compared to meat-based heme-iron.

Why You Should Think Twice About Vegetarian and Vegan Diets

The effects of B12 deficiency on kids are especially alarming. Studies have shown that kids raised until age 6 on a vegan diet are still B12 deficient years after adding at least some animal products to their diet. In one study, the researchers found:

Old 04-28-2016, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,231 times
I think Beans And green and fresh vegetables are the key to healthy lifestyle. please keep all Ingredient in you food that you take daily. Give Priority to hygienic food.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness