Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:15 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,048 times

Advertisements

A question for all my fellow skeptics out there- would anyone recommend going to an osteopathic doctor? I've read a bit about it but am still a bit confused as to what one actually is/does. This is mainly for a basic overall health check-up but also finding the root of (& hopefully fixing/managing) some back pain, caused by some minor lifting injuries and middle age.

I am extremely wary of basically everything and everyone and do not take kindly to having my money or time wasted on any woo-woo 'energy medicine' stuff. Been there & done that... (NO more!!) I try to have an open mind- but my open mind has been taken advantage of.. so more than anything, I firmly believe in evidence-based medicine and real actual results (not just 'placebo' B.S.).

So what do you all think..? Can someone help explain, and has anyone had REAL results, and do you think they are legit? I mean obviously there's good & bad docs & everything in-between, in every field. But do they really practice medicine in a solid, grounded, scientific way? I do believe in massage & chiro.. so that's great if that is a part of their treatment.. but what else are they known for, really?

Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Are you thinking of a natruropath? There's really not a whole lot of difference between MDs and DOs, and my doctor is a DO.

DO vs MD: What's the Difference & Which is Better?

Old 04-02-2016, 01:06 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
One of my doctors is an osteopath and the other is an MD. There's no difference. Years ago, there was a difference, but no more.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:49 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,199,057 times
I've got both osteopaths and MD's for my doc's.

Most of the MD's are very rigidly into pharmaceutical prescriptions to fix every problem.

The osteopath's typically look at overall health, diet, and likely outcomes. They aren't so fast to just write a prescription for every problem.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:30 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
I went to an osteopath aka D.O. from my 30's into my 60's and my D.O. was old school and did manipulations for my back. I loved this guy. He's the one who after 10 yrs with an MD for thyroid and NO HELP, the D.O. called in for Armour thyroid and no labs etc...he saved me.

Today's D.O.'s as I see it do not work on back issues etc. We have an osteopath here who does it all back work and whatever a patient needs BUT takes no insurance. So I can't go to him, I've tried believe me.

For me, today's conventional MD's just don't do it. I don't want a bunch of drugs and for the most part am my own doctor as best I can be. See an integrative MD for a couple scripts and bloodwork.

My old time D.O. worked PT into his 90's....I miss that man.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:05 PM

More on osteopaths. My daughter who is 52 has a collapsed tendon in her foot. She does not know why this has happened...She has seen a conventional surgeon and they offer surgery which is major longtime rehab and then who knows. She's alone and raising two teens. Anyway the other day talking to a holistic healing consultant at our major alternative pharmacy, the woman gave her the name of an osteopath to check with before any major surgery, which when electing should be last resort.

OP, I'm not clear on why you ask about these type doctors but here where I live we have a good number to check out. I would think larger cities have more osteopaths.

Here is an example of some osteopaths in my area:

Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine Providers - Santa Monica, CA | DocSpot

Personally, I would choose an osteopath, I believe they can write scripts but offer much more. Insurance wise, could be a challenge.

Overview on Osteopathy

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed...ent/osteopathy

This is the Osteopath my daughter plans to call next week.

http://lotusew.com/portfolio/cynthia-kodama-do/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-03-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-04-2016, 05:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
One of my doctors is an osteopath and the other is an MD. There's no difference. Years ago, there was a difference, but no more.
so true; years ago they were more into message theory and natural healing. Now the only difference an MD gets a degree from a medical school and an osteopath from an osteopathic school. Many universities have both programs, they are the same number of years. I am, right now, about to switch from my primary care doctor to an osteopath. One of the leading cardiologist we have in our area and very popular is an osteopath, as is his wife. They practice at all our hospitals and take most insurance, just like an MD.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 AM

14,955 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so true; years ago they were more into message theory and natural healing. Now the only difference an MD gets a degree from a medical school and an osteopath from an osteopathic school. Many universities have both programs, they are the same number of years. I am, right now, about to switch from my primary care doctor to an osteopath. One of the leading cardiologist we have in our area and very popular is an osteopath, as is his wife. They practice at all our hospitals and take most insurance, just like an MD.
My primary doc here is a DO, as is the opthalmologist who did my cataract surgery. The cardiologist is an MD ( he cut down on my meds when I was first referred to him), he is in group practice of both MDs and DOs. I like them all.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:49 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,208,707 times
There's a DO at the clinic we go to. I've heard she'll give you anything you ask for! LOL

My MD won't.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:41 PM

As I said above, the D.O. I saw for years saved me with thyroid support that no doctors could/would do for over 10 yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.