Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
My sister's ex-husband's grandma had his dad at age 50! And that was almost 70 years ago.....(I think there's a connection to that and long life as she lived to 101!)
I know a couple of women who had kids in their 50's: one at 50, the other at 51. It's possible, but most women don't want kids at that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
According to Erma Bombeck, if you had planned on a round-the-world vacation with your husband, bought a whole new wardrobe, and didn't want any kids, or if you had had kids and the last one is starting college and you just gave away all the baby stuff, your odds of conceiving are 100%.
I miss Erma...

Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What's the point of posting this...THREE YEARS after it actually happened? Sorry, but did the wave of "congratulations" wear off? The odds don't really matter because it happened for you...are you rubbing it in for all those it didn't work out for or trying to remind yourself of just how lucky you really are? Seeing your son every day is not enough? ....I don't get it
I don't think she was rubbing anything in to anyone. I don't think there are many people who would be so thoughtless and cruel.

IMO, it was you who posted a cruel reply to a happy mother who opened a thread about being a parent of a 3 year old, when the pregnancy was stacked against the odds.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 AM

46 posts, read 40,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I don't think she was rubbing anything in to anyone. I don't think there are many people who would be so thoughtless and cruel.

IMO, it was you who posted a cruel reply to a happy mother who opened a thread about being a parent of a 3 year old, when the pregnancy was stacked against the odds.
Thank you.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:58 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I do not know all the health details but my sister in law was unable to conceive so her and her husband did not practice birth control for 20 years. Low and behold at 42 she became pregnant and gave birth to a healthy daughter who recently turned 32.

I use to tease her to be sure to let the hospital maternity staff know you are the mother, not the grandmother. She said at PTA/school events, she did look like the grandmother.....LOL

Old 05-01-2016, 11:48 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Neighbor just had an oops baby at 47. She was not as pleased.

OP you were actually pretty young.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-01-2016, 01:35 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsallrightmama View Post
Reneeh63's profile proudly indicates she has no children, pets, or plants. I pretty much assumed that when I read her flaming post. I don't know why she would troll the Parenting board.
OP, she wasn't flaming you OR trolling. She's a long-time CD poster with a good reputation. She asked what was the point of this thread, 3 years after giving birth, something I'm sure others wondered too (without posting).

Honestly, when I read the question in the title, I thought the OP was going to be someone who was trying to conceive and ASKING what her odds were. Instead, the OP came across to me as bragging (and again, I would bet she did to others who have not posted in this thread).

OP, you were fertile when many if not most women wouldn't have been. Probably has more to do with genes than anything else. I am happy that YOU were happy but also can't figure out why you asked the question in the title only to post basically "Yay, that was me" in the OP.

And yes, I write all this as someone who for years thought I wanted kids, but didn't actually try to have them. Then that option was taken away in a horrible way when I was 38. (And I realize my personal history may account for my "reading" the OP as bragging -- but somehow I don't think I'm the only one.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I thought she was exactly that thoughtless and cruel, the way she posted the title question followed by the OP. We can agree to disagree.

ETA: looks like this has been moved to the Health & Wellness forum, which makes sense given the title question. Still can't figure out why the OP asked that question.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I thought she was exactly that thoughtless and cruel, the way she posted the title question followed by the OP. We can agree to disagree.
I took the OP's post as more of a thing like, "It happened to me, so never say never!" I didn't see the OP as being cruel at all. But then, I prefer to view other people's good fortune as an uplifting thing, not something to get angry about.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
I took the OP's post as more of a thing like, "It happened to me, so never say never!" I didn't see the OP as being cruel at all. But then, I prefer to view other people's good fortune as an uplifting thing, not something to get angry about.
That's fine. We just read her differently. (And I didn't get angry, I just thought she was bragging and, yes, being cruel, given how she worded her title. Not saying the cruelty was deliberate, just thoughtless.)

Old 05-01-2016, 04:37 PM

429 posts, read 390,873 times
the chances of giving birth to developmentally disabled children is higher the older the mother is. This has been known for a very long time. Why do you think the autism rates have increased the last 20 years in the population. But even that aside who would really want to be a mother in their 50s? So your 20 something yr old kid has to take care of you in your 70s or pay someone to do it - instead of going to college/working on their career? Do you want to be a burden to your children? I wouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness