Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 03:29 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
These meniscus tears are discussed a lot on the PRP call in group I listen to. My daughter had a meniscus tear and it healed on it's own.
In retrospect, I wish I had waited longer to have surgery on mine, as it didn't fix it, and it might have healed on its own. I have fibromyalgia, so I'm thinking the surgery may have just stirred up more pain that wouldn't have been stirred up otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 03:32 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Only the outer 1/3 rim of meniscal cartilage has blood supply, tears in this zone (which are not that common) can heal on their own. The vast majority of meniscal tears occur in the inner 2/3 avascular zone.....tears in this area (much more common) cannot heal on their own...or even with surgery most of the time a debridement is done to remove the torn/frayed cartilage.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:58 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Well mine's was a root tear of the lateral meniscus.

I've tried to rest it as much as I could given my job, as well as do some exercises, and all the exercises did was inflame my leg so badly I couldn't put weight on it.

I realize these things can take time but I am weighing my options now. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore but that's my current status.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
In retrospect, I wish I had waited longer to have surgery on mine, as it didn't fix it, and it might have healed on its own. I have fibromyalgia, so I'm thinking the surgery may have just stirred up more pain that wouldn't have been stirred up otherwise.
I'm guessing you had a partial meniscectomywhere the damaged meniscus tissue is trimmed away as opposed to a meniscus repair where the tear is repaired by suturing the torn pieces together. I had a partial meniscectomy and wish I would have waited longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Only the outer 1/3 rim of meniscal cartilage has blood supply, tears in this zone (which are not that common) can heal on their own. The vast majority of meniscal tears occur in the inner 2/3 avascular zone.....tears in this area (much more common) cannot heal on their own...or even with surgery most of the time a debridement is done to remove the torn/frayed cartilage.
My understanding is meniscal tears that heal themselves tend to be traumatic tears in the outer 1/3 of a meniscus, which occur when you tear your ACL. Otherwise most tears will not heal unless they are sutured back together.

There is recent research that shows that tears with little blood supply (in the other 2/3 of the meniscus) are still capable of healing after they have been sutured together.

Keep in mind that a meniscus repair requires much more extensive rehabilitation after surgery and it may not work. The rehab process can be as much as 12-16 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well mine's was a root tear of the lateral meniscus.

I've tried to rest it as much as I could given my job, as well as do some exercises, and all the exercises did was inflame my leg so badly I couldn't put weight on it.

I realize these things can take time but I am weighing my options now. I don't want to hijack this thread anymore but that's my current status.
I don't know your age but if you're older, I think what you are going to hear is meniscal root injuries do not respond as well to repair. I would try to find a surgeon who does a lot of meniscal root repairs and is willing to attempt a repair.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:48 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm guessing you had a partial meniscectomywhere the damaged meniscus tissue is trimmed away as opposed to a meniscus repair where the tear is repaired by suturing the torn pieces together.
Yep. Wish I had waited, but our insurance was about to change and it wasn't going to pay as well, so my husband was hurrying me to do it, so I did. *sigh*

Old 06-17-2016, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
Anyone had hyaluronic acid knee injections? Results? How often?

Both of my knees have been scoped (Meniscus tears & Ososteoarthritis) in the last 3-4 years.
Currently exercising regularly but the Celebrex (NSAID) doesn’t seem to work anymore.
Seeking any other ideas to relieve pain and continue to being active.

Thanks!
If you have knee pain, certainly give it a try; I think the statistics show it is successful about 80% of the time: here is my experience: for me, the first shot did last close to 6 months, the second about the same, maybe not quite as long. The third one much less, so I opted for knee surgery. My best friend just had her first injection: didn't work for more than a couple of weeks and a friend from church I was talking with a couple of days ago said hers lasted over a year. I am sure your orthopedists has told you, sooner or later it will be knee surgery but as mine said, that is always elective. I am glad I tried the shots first. By the time I made the decision to have the surgery I was ready. BTW: I didn't wait until the pain was so bad I couldn't sleep like some do. When I started waking up at night with some pain and the shots stop working I knew it was time.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooner View Post
Thanks to everybody for the feedback. I'm going to hobble back to the Doctor's office later this month to see what options
he (& my insurance) can offer. He has already stated that someday I will have to have both knees replaced, but I should hold off as long as I can age-wise.

Like BlueDeviez says "not much lose ion trying" the shots.

for Wrench409; I feel your pain and hoping we both find some relief soon!
Our daughter, in her mid 50s sounds much like you. She is trying to hold off til she reaches 60 but it gets harder for her every year. She can't even golf much because of the pain. Not only are her knees affected so is her back. She did have a fusion on her back a couple years ago and will probably have another next year.

I think the advise given by BlueDeviez is good; doesn't hurt to try a shot and see the results.

BTW: I posted my first response a few minutes ago before reading all the others.

When it does become time for knee replacement remember there are a lot more people happy with their make believe knees than unhappy. I think my doctor said about 15 to 20% will be disappointed, I am one of the 80% that is happy. So are most of my friends. The worst part of the surgery is the PT. Not a fun 4 weeks.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:22 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I had the Euflexxa injections in both knees several years ago. For me, they worked like magic. I just got the first or 3 shots again yesterday. I feel a little relief already.

Studies have shown uneven results between patients, but for me it works. As someone might have mentioned, the insurance companies compiled the results of 11 studies. In 2 of 11 studies, the opinion was that it had no effect. Meaning in 9 of 11 the results were favorable. Yet, this was all the insurance companies needed for an excuse to refuse the treatment. It has taken over 2 months to get the injections approved by my insurance company. My doctor said they'd rather shell out $20k for a knee replacement.

In my case, I have OA and am not severe enough for a knee replacement, so pain relief is my goal. I swap around between diclofenac and Naproxin, but it really doesn't work that well.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:04 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had the Euflexxa injections in both knees several years ago. For me, they worked like magic. I just got the first or 3 shots again yesterday. I feel a little relief already.

Studies have shown uneven results between patients, but for me it works. As someone might have mentioned, the insurance companies compiled the results of 11 studies. In 2 of 11 studies, the opinion was that it had no effect. Meaning in 9 of 11 the results were favorable. Yet, this was all the insurance companies needed for an excuse to refuse the treatment. It has taken over 2 months to get the injections approved by my insurance company. My doctor said they'd rather shell out $20k for a knee replacement.

In my case, I have OA and am not severe enough for a knee replacement, so pain relief is my goal. I swap around between diclofenac and Naproxin, but it really doesn't work that well.
Glad Eufflexa worked for you, didn't do a thing for me and I did the 3 series, went 3 times to the ortho office for injections. It will be interesting to see how long it continues to help.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I am glad it working for you. Everyone and every situation is a little different. There are some people who just think, because they did not get relief no one will. If it helps and can keep you from needing surgery soon or ever, great. I will keep my fingers crossed. I am sure you will see an improvement, at least for awhile. When the time comes to have knee surgery and it probably will, you will know it. The decision should always be yours to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness