Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 28,395 times

Advertisements

My gf who is 20 years old was recently diagnosed with heart failure. Its really tragic because she has had multiple heart attacks already, and pretty much all she has is me. She has been in and out of the hospital, shes in the hospital right now and the doctors keep running tests. I was told this morning that she died for 7 minutes but came back to life, and that it was a miracle. She flatlined multiple times, and one time it cause her to lose all her memory for the past couple of years and i had to catch her up on everything. Her family still doesnt know about it because she doesnt want them to know and doesnt want them to worry about her, i dont know if i should tell her mom, but i feel out of place and probably should leave that up to her, right? She lives alone and her parents live across the country, thats why they dont know. How is this possible at such a young age? She doesnt smoke or drink, she completly changed her diet once she found out and cut out all meats like the doctor suggested. and now theyre thinking of a heart transplant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 07:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Bad genes. Continue to urge her to call her parents. They should not find out she died without knowing she was ill.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:53 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders925 View Post
How is this possible at such a young age? She doesnt smoke or drink, she completly changed her diet once she found out and cut out all meats like the doctor suggested. and now theyre thinking of a heart transplant?
Some viral infections can cause heart failure in younger people. The body produces antibodies to attack the virus, but they can in some cases attack the heart muscle as well.

Severe hypercholesterolemia (which is genetic) can also lead to early heart disease.

A condition called sub aortic stenosis, which restricts the flow of blood out of the heart, can also develop in young people and lead to heart failure.

A healthy lifestyle is just an attempt to weight the odds in your favor. It doesn't always work, unfortunately.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
My heart goes out to her and to you. She does need to let her family know. This is sad, but no one ever guarantees us a certain number of years or a certain health. I guess, it is just hard to understand why these things have to happen to people so very young. It doesn't seem that changing her diet would make a lot of difference at this stage, but a heart transplant certainly would.

No, you can not be the on to tell her family. This has to be her decision but they should be informed. It isn't fair to them regardless of her reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness