Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 03:03 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

Holly COW!

Somehow, I feel like I owe an apology to all those who have complained of their kidney stones and have not found enough sympathy in me. No more! I have had my first, and would love to hear the details of yours.

Wed: Sharp pain in my side. Started to the movie and turned around and came home. "The Room" will have to wait.
Thursday: Unable to keep anything down. Not water, nothing. Pain is worse than yesterday. I'm thinking diverticulitis. Thursday afternoon My Woman took me to ER.
Thursday Eve: Kidney Stones! "Here, take this strainer. You'll pass it in a day or two and in the meantime take this pain killer. See a Urologist next week. Bring The Rock with you."
Friday: Miserable. All day. But, really, it wasn't all that bad. Big pain, left side.
Saturday: Pain suddenly stopped at 10:30AM. Just like someone turned off a light. Gone. Musta passed it, but I haven't seen it yet. Keep drinking water. Lots of water.
Sunday: Fine.
Monday: I'm BAAAAAAAACK! Big pain. Called Urologist and they said, "Come in now". The stone was stuck in a tube called the Ureter. It won't move; they can't blast it to pieces because of where it is. Pain is unbelievable. Off to surgery.
They run a stent up the urethra, through the bladder, into the Ureter. Insert a laser into the stent and blast away. I woke up 30 minutes later. Big pain gone. Got home and limped off to bed.

Thursday. Stent is still in. Some pain left. but nothing that needs medication. Still have a string hanging out of my urethra, and they are going to pull on it and remove my stent next week.

So, any of you that have had a kidney stone attack, please accept my apologies for not paying enough attention. Next time, I promise I will listen. And sympathize.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 03:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I had one before from eating too much raw spinach. It passed by itself, but OUCH is right.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
I can sympathize, but not empathize (thankfully). My husband has had 3 kidney stone attacks, all within a 5 year period starting in 2001. All the males in his family have kidney stones, so he was kind of expecting it, LOL. In a way, the pain followed a similar cycle to being in labor: it had a progressively painful beginning, middle and then, an end usually 2-3 days later. They all started with mild discomfort, but even the first time, he knew what it was, so he was just waiting for it to get worse and progress to a point where he expected to have to go to the ER.

His worst attack pain wise (a different stone about 3 years later) came in the middle of the night. It involved profuse sweating and vomiting the pain was so bad. His worst timing for an attack, however, was when he was in his Orthopedic residency and was in the middle of assisting on a knee replacement, and his attending refused to let him scrub out. He literally passed a kidney stone while wearing one of those big space suits and cutting on someone's body (that particular attending was kind of a jerk).

Thankfully, he's never needed lithotripsy or surgery. Of course, during his follow up appointments, the Urologists (all of whom he knew) gave him long lists of what foods to avoid and he was like "pffft, whatever, I'm doomed to have these things". They always showed him the CT's and he could see new stones up in the kidney, so he was just waiting for the next time.....

Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I've always worried about kidney stones. I don't think it runs in my family but my uncle had gall stones. If they find out it's a kidney stone can you ask them to blast it right away? It seems like they told you to "let it pass" but then it got stuck and caused you tremendous pain. Why couldn't they just blast it when it was in an area where they could instead of letting it get to the ureter? I shudder to think how people dealt with kidney stones before modern medicine, or really many kinds of medical conditions.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:07 PM

420 posts, read 704,105 times
Now I am good and terrified of kidney stones.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I've always worried about kidney stones. I don't think it runs in my family but my uncle had gall stones. If they find out it's a kidney stone can you ask them to blast it right away? It seems like they told you to "let it pass" but then it got stuck and caused you tremendous pain. Why couldn't they just blast it when it was in an area where they could instead of letting it get to the ureter? I shudder to think how people dealt with kidney stones before modern medicine, or really many kinds of medical conditions.
My sister had one recently which they said was just under the size that would need to be surgically removed. They sent her home with pain meds and told her to watch for the stone to pass, and to follow up with the doctor. The pain resolved within a few days but she never saw a stone pass.

When I had mine, I had intense pain and pressure, with vomiting (probably from the pain). It lasted about four hours and then the stone passed. I was waiting until morning to go to the ER because I didn't want to drag the kids out in the middle of the night.

My mom had a bunch of small stones and they passed without any kind of discomfort...we only knew she had stones because she was in the hospital with a catheter and we could see the stones in the bag.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:19 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My sister had one recently which they said was just under the size that would need to be surgically removed. They sent her home with pain meds and told her to watch for the stone to pass, and to follow up with the doctor. The pain resolved within a few days but she never saw a stone pass.

When I had mine, I had intense pain and pressure, with vomiting (probably from the pain). It lasted about four hours and then the stone passed. I was waiting until morning to go to the ER because I didn't want to drag the kids out in the middle of the night.

My mom had a bunch of small stones and they passed without any kind of discomfort...we only knew she had stones because she was in the hospital with a catheter and we could see the stones in the bag.
That doesn't give me any comfort So if it's under a certain size they just give you pain medication and tell you to pass it? I don't think an aspirin will help much or even more powerful prescription medications. So basically if it's going to hurt, unless it's huge, you just have to endure the pain that makes you vomit until it passes? I get queasy just thinking about it. I've been drinking at least 8 cups of water a day for a long time so I hope it helps.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
That doesn't give me any comfort So if it's under a certain size they just give you pain medication and tell you to pass it? I don't think an aspirin will help much or even more powerful prescription medications. So basically if it's going to hurt, unless it's huge, you just have to endure the pain that makes you vomit until it passes? I get queasy just thinking about it. I've been drinking at least 8 cups of water a day for a long time so I hope it helps.
My sister said the pain meds she was prescribed for her kidney stone were enough to treat her pain. It wasn't an aspirin or ibuprofen, it was stronger stuff.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:55 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
These things scare me so much. My dad passed one a few months back and he said it was the most painful thing that he's ever experienced which freaked me out because he's endured alot of pain over the years from his various jobs.

What are the foods that you're supposed to avoid?

Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
I passed my first one ON AN AIRPLANE!

Trust me, you will feel much better when they take that %@#$% stent out!

Makes childbirth a piece of cake!

The craziest thing is, the one that caused me to have a lithotripsy (lodged in my left ureter) caused me no pain, but I nearly died from sepsis...I thought I had the flu, but actually had a massive kidney infection. I was sick for 3 days before it occurred to me that maybe I should go to the ER. We didn't even own a thermometer at the time.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 02-05-2016 at 03:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness