Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you eat a diet that includes all the major food groups you minimize the risk of being deficient in any nutrients.

I suspect farmers have a pretty good idea how to manage the soil for their crops.
This is becoming a big Issue. Check out Steve Solomon's book, The Intelligent Gardener.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBDVCPfCSw0

Quote:
What "human suffering" are you talking about?
Oh, lemme see...diabetes, osteoporosis, Alzheimers and dementia, IBS, auto-immune diseases, cholesterol issues, tooth and jawbone loss, gum disease, arthristis, many birth defects, and the whole gamut of what people are suffering today, only the least of which is colds and flu.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:00 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
I've gotten one for at least the last 5 years...why would this year be any different? I can't recall EVER getting the flu but that is beside the point. When I see coworkers being out for a week and when they are finally back in look like death warmed over...yeah, I get a shot!

Also, at work we just switched to a pooled PTO/Sick days system - no way am I gonna risk using 5 days of what COULD be vacation on laying in bed sick.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
If you eat a diet that includes all the major food groups you minimize the risk of being deficient in any nutrients.

I suspect farmers have a pretty good idea how to manage the soil for their crops.

The AMA is a professional organization. It is not "owned" by anyone except itself, and most doctors are not even members (only about a quarter are).

What "human suffering" are you talking about?

Doctors and drug companies get a lot more money if you get the flu than if you take the vaccine. That's why insurance companies want you to take the vaccine, so they do not have to pay because you get sick.
Hahah...yeah, I'm gonna skip the vaccine and get sick just to spite them! Ridiculous! Do you commonly cut off your nose to spite your face?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:04 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,740,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I am not getting one. I haven't gotten one since the Swine Flu epidemic of the 1970s and I don't plan on getting one ever again. I haven't had the flu in decades, but I have known ridiculously many people who got the shot and caught it anyway or who got sick from the shot itself. I have no faith in the efficacy of the flu shot.

I avoid touching my mouth, nose or eyes with my hands when in public. And if I feel fatigued or run down, I adjust my schedule to get a lot of rest and take care of myself, instead of ignoring my body's signals until I get sick.
That's us, too. I had a bad reaction 40 years ago so never again. We also just use soap and never use those hand sanitizers. We're around the public every day.

I also take Vit C and other supplements, but my husband doesn't take anything.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:36 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
After 29yrs military I'm used to getting one every year. I missed, somehow, one year and I did get the flu that year. After that torture-session, I won't miss another one. Already got mine this year - free at work (military base no less).

btw, if someone says they have a "touch of the flu"... no, no, no. The flu does not TOUCH you. It uses a baseball bat and clubs you until you can't stand upright and have to crawl on hands and knees just to get to the bathroom. No thanks.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
I'm a little behind this year. Usually I have mine by now, but the pediatrician makes it very inconvenient to get the kids in to get the flu shot; they used to have a flu shot clinic twice per month, but they stopped doing that. The past month has been so busy, at this point we're all going to have a morning off from work and school to get it done.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:03 AM

36,421 posts, read 16,034,254 times
I got mine last week. I'm 64 and have gotten it for the last decade at least. I work with the elderly part time. Other than that not around the public much. I will never forget the flu....when even your hair hurts

Old 10-15-2016, 08:04 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If you read just the few comments on here you will see why the older 50+ generation (the most vulnerable age group) flu shot rates decreased the most of all age groups last year, and probably will again this year. While the CDC may believe in the Tooth Fairy and their "goal" of 90% rates in the next 4 years, far too many of us long ago stopped believing in that fairy.
Shoot, they can't even decide if coffee is good or bad for you. No way am I believing a word from them.

I'm 72. Knock on wood, I am healthy as a horse. I never get any of the fad shots. None of them. No flu, no shingles, no pneumocockle pneumonia crap, none of it!

Old 10-15-2016, 08:04 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
I haven't gotte in each yet because I thought I was a getting a cold on the day they gave them out at work (low grade fever, etc) and last year when I did that I got quite sick immediately afterwards (bronchitis and eventually walking pneumonia) so my doc told me not to get it when I am sick. I will probably go this weekend and get it. But isn't really a priority for me.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:50 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
OT: Curious, why they're not being screened for TB? My hubby immigrated here 15 years ago and had to have an X ray in hand to prove he didn't have TB
I wondered about that, too. Apparently some refugees are being let in even if they may have latent TB. Not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness