Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 08:03 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times

Advertisements

Wife was just diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis at the bottom of her spine. The pain is extreme when sitting or laying down when standing almost no pain. Doctors want an MRI now after xray diagnoses anyone have something like this? I have read there is surgery that can fix it, but I always worry about spinal surgery .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 08:30 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Wife was just diagnosed with lumbar spinal stenosis at the bottom of her spine. The pain is extreme when sitting or laying down when standing almost no pain. Doctors want an MRI now after xray diagnoses anyone have something like this? I have read there is surgery that can fix it, but I always worry about spinal surgery .
I ended up with lumbar stenosis when I had a hip replacement in 2010...I went thru a lot of acupuncture and some PT and learned to do spinal stretches. I could not sit for a few minutes without pain and now I can sit very good, I get a lot of stiffness as I have a lower back arthritic issue but the spinal issue is much improved. Do all one can to do no surgery. There are many stretches one can look up online.

One I still do a few times daily, before going to sleep, when I wake up and during the day is:

Laying on back, pulling bent legs up to chest and hold to a count, do again, etc. I also do rocking holding my bent legs. This helps keep the spine open.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:57 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Quote:
An MRI will better indicate the level of severity of the spinal stenosis and it might show a few other things not detected previously. Usually doctors will recommend a conservative approach that includes physical therapy to stretch supporting muscles as well as to strengthen them. Another option includes injections in the area. As a last resort, surgery can be used. In many cases, the physical therapy, along with continued home exercises, will take care of the problem.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:11 PM

They have her on 600 mg Ibuprofen and Vicodin for the morning when she wakes up which is the worst pain she can hardly get out of bed I have to help her to the bathroom the pain killers wear off during the night and for what ever reason it is the worst pain. After an hour of standing the pain is almost gone which is strange to me. She has trouble with MRI machines being in that tiny tube so they will have to use sedative. She tried an open mri takes twice as long they told her as the tube.

Old 10-28-2016, 10:23 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Curious how she ended up with this spinal stenosis. I know mine came on from hip replacement surgery. Surgery can sure mess up the body in ways we never dream will happen. The rheumy I found was a blessing as she worked with acupuncture and mesotherapy injections (homeopathic solutions) and found me the PT who specialized in this issue. The pain and burning was awful.

Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 PM

She had some tingling in her legs for a few years now every time they Xray said nothing was wrong. This is the first time they saw something on an Xray. I was reading Spinal Stenosis can be just from old age or hereditary.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
She had some tingling in her legs for a few years now every time they Xray said nothing was wrong. This is the first time they saw something on an Xray. I was reading Spinal Stenosis can be just from old age or hereditary.
In cases where there was no obvious injury to the spine, the compression can be from old age or hereditary as you mentioned. Things kind of start going south on us as we start to age, and that's why the therapy and then continued exercise is so important to maintain the supporting muscle structures and prevent all that discomfort from returning. About the MRI, I close my eyes and start concentrating on my breathing. They put ear phones on and I ask for soothing music, but it's still a noisy procedure. The good part is that it only takes abou 20 minutes. The pressure on the nerve that comes out of the vertebra is greater when she is lying down, and it is released when she stands up.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In cases where there was no obvious injury to the spine, the compression can be from old age or hereditary as you mentioned. Things kind of start going south on us as we start to age, and that's why the therapy and then continued exercise is so important to maintain the supporting muscle structures and prevent all that discomfort from returning. About the MRI, I close my eyes and start concentrating on my breathing. They put ear phones on and I ask for soothing music, but it's still a noisy procedure. The good part is that it only takes abou 20 minutes. The pressure on the nerve that comes out of the vertebra is greater when she is lying down, and it is released when she stands up.
Do you know what Lumbar spinal stenosis is? here is the definition it's not compression.

Lumbar spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back, known as the lumbar area. This usually happens when bone or tissue-or both-grow in the openings in the spinal bones. ... Arthritis leads to the growth of bony spurs that push on the nerves that branch out from the spinal cord.

As far as the MRI goes she attempted it once had a full on panic attack just climbed right out of the thing before they could even get in the room. it's nice that you like me have no issues with MRI machines she will be having Valium I'm not concerned about that.

This weekend she is noticing that she is having trouble urinating completely taking her a lot of pressure to urinate I'm wondering if that is due to the pressure on the nerves. I think she needs to get that MRI done soon so they can get a better picture of what is going on.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Curious how she ended up with this spinal stenosis. I know mine came on from hip replacement surgery. Surgery can sure mess up the body in ways we never dream will happen. The rheumy I found was a blessing as she worked with acupuncture and mesotherapy injections (homeopathic solutions) and found me the PT who specialized in this issue. The pain and burning was awful.
There is NO chance hip replacement CAUSED you spinal stenosis....as in NONE

There is also NO chance as in NONE that homeopathic "treatments" would help spinal stenosis

Most people who develop spinal stenosis in later years due so do to osteoarthritic changes

Spinal stenosis Causes - Mayo Clinic

Old 10-30-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Do you know what Lumbar spinal stenosis is? here is the definition it's not compression.

Lumbar spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back, known as the lumbar area. This usually happens when bone or tissue-or both-grow in the openings in the spinal bones. ... Arthritis leads to the growth of bony spurs that push on the nerves that branch out from the spinal cord.

As far as the MRI goes she attempted it once had a full on panic attack just climbed right out of the thing before they could even get in the room. it's nice that you like me have no issues with MRI machines she will be having Valium I'm not concerned about that.

This weekend she is noticing that she is having trouble urinating completely taking her a lot of pressure to urinate I'm wondering if that is due to the pressure on the nerves. I think she needs to get that MRI done soon so they can get a better picture of what is going on.
kell490, I agree with you about getting the MRI soon, especially if there's any kind of bladder function affected by the stenosis.

This website is pretty good, especially their video. Good luck with you and your wife as you go through with this.

Spinal stenosis, Lumbar Stenosis, Cervical Stenosis, Spinal Decompression Surgery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness