Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:58 PM

186 posts, read 128,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
So are mine. I have bunions and curved toes on both feet. And you know what the Orthopedic surgeon I live with who makes his living primarily correcting foot and ankle deformities tells me and his patients who ask if they should have surgery?

He advises them that having ugly feet is not a good enough reason to have surgery.
Actually it is, thats why the surgery exists in the first place and thats why people choose to do it. My ugly feet is why I cant do many activities I want to do like volleyball, swimming, brazilian jui jitsu anf just being able to freely walk in the house barefoot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerInstinct View Post
Actually it is, thats why the surgery exists in the first place and thats why people choose to do it. My ugly feet is why I cant do many activities I want to do like volleyball, swimming, brazilian jui jitsu anf just being able to freely walk in the house barefoot.
Poppycock.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:11 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
I don't think surgery is going to make any difference, you can either do those things or not. My husband has some funky hammer toes and other problems with his feet, he's slowed down a bit at 73, but when younger he gained some notoriety as a climber, he served with the USMC in Vietnam and currently is a black belt in Aikido.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:14 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Do you avoid those activities merely because your feet are ugly, or do you have actual pain and discomfort? If it's the latter, then that's a different story altogether, and a good reason to have surgery.

As you point out, there are no shortage of people who want surgical correction for solely cosmetic purposes, and there are no shortage of surgeons (or podiatrists especially), who are willing to do it. Many people are pleased with the outcomes. Just be aware that the failure and complication rates are fairly high, as is the possible need for revision.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:16 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Its a gimmick, did it for a year, 1 hour a day, nothing happened

Oh, good to know.

Old 04-18-2017, 05:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
I am facing a hip replacement surgery in about a week and a half..... the 5th or 6th surgery I have had on my legs over the years, not counting the three I underwent for the MRSA infection in my right hip..... and I can not even imagine wanting to put myself through something as painful as a foot surgery for purely cosmetic reasons.....

Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
You don't even know what the surgery is called but you know "why the surgery exists in the first place"???

Good to know....

You are wrong of course but way to go all in on the misconception

If you have painful hammertoes that don't allow you to wear shoes then by all means consider corrective surgery but for cosmesis?

If you aren't willing to do the activities you "like" because of how your feet "look" I'm sure you will find another reason not to do them after surgery as well...

Old 04-19-2017, 05:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,648 times
Quote:
My ugly feet is why I cant do many activities I want to do like volleyball, swimming, brazilian jui jitsu anf just being able to freely walk in the house barefoot.
If your "ugly feet" are not causing you actual physical discomfort or impairing your movement, the problem is not your feet but five or six feet north of them.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
To make all of my toes evenly spread out? And also change the physical structure so they look as perfect as toes can possibly be like the shape of them so none of them are curled, etc.....
I ruptured the joint in my 4th toe. It just sort of flopped in the wrong direction. The doctor put a pin in it and removed skin, think a Frankenstein cut just above the joint closest to the toenail. It corrected to issue. It wasn't pleasant especially considering I had a pin coming out of my toe for several weeks. It's not something I would do for fun. Your best bet is to talk to a podiatrist and see what he/she recommends.

Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I am having a hard time believing this is a for real post.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness