Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,349 times

Advertisements

I am seeking info and drug interactions ect.

My mother is a resident of the tiny central american country Belize and shares her time going back and forth from Texas to Belize.

They were in Belize working when she took her medication prescribed to her. She took Cipro that day and once it wore off, there was no more and decided to take an amocillian and heart burn medicine. She had run out of her Nexium and decided to take her prilosec. That night she ate some cereal with milk, she didn't want to eat anything else for dinner. Went to bed and all the sudden felt this bad fire in her chest and it went up her neck to her head and felt like she was on fire and felt like her blood vessals in her head were going to pop. She ended up going down to the doctor that night. Her blood pressure was 241 on the top and 120 on the bottom.

She told my stepdad to tell us goodbye and she loved each of her children. They did a ekg and everything was ok there, just her blood pressure which was lowering as she was there.

The next day, she told me she still had the burning, it just wasn't as bad. She was packing her bags and going to Belize City to spend the night and catch a plane the next day( today)

She will be in Houston , she is going to go to her physician who is waiting.

Does anyone know what happened to her?

I THOUGHT maybe a blood clot in her lungs, traveling to her brain. I though am not sure. She believes she had a case of nearly fatal hypertension brought on by using antibotics and prilosec.

I had read on the internet that Cipro can cause you to feel confusion, paranoria , hallucinations but nothing like described.

She thinks having cereal saved her life. I though wonder if the milk could have caused this to happen along with the prescribed drugs.

I have also scoured the internet searching information and haven't been able to find anything more than what the side effects of Cipro are.

Any links ect would be helpful.. with info gathered, I plan to arm my mom with what is given today once I can talk to her.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 12:57 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Sounds more like a reaction to the ibuprophen, which is well known to cause GI ulcers and worsen hypertension. She does need follow-up with her primary care person. Also, antibiotics are not interchangeable and are used for very specific germs and in specific amounts: "She took Cipro that day and once it wore off, there was no more and decided to take an amocillian " Hope all turns out well.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,468 times
stargazer, Cipro and amoxicillin are both antibiotics. I typed in all of the meds you mentioned here: Check Interactions - DrugDigest (http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs - broken link) and didn't see any significant interactions...

You mentioned checking the side-effects of the Cipro... did you notice that (although rare) it can cause hypertension (high blood pressure) in about 1% of the people who take it.

Cipro side effects (Ciprofloxacin) and drug interactions - prescription drugs and medications at RxList (http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/cipro_ad.htm - broken link)

Hope your Mom gets better, and her doctor figures it out!!
----------------------------------------

mm_mary, I don't see ibuprofen in her list of meds...

Old 03-08-2008, 05:02 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Whenever you have a question about drug interactions/side effects, you can call your local pharmacy (I always call walgreens) and ask them your questions.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:56 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Anyone can develop a severe allergic reaction to a drug, food or anything at anytime.

Even if this product is something that you have taken in the past with no difficulty, you can build up enough antibodies that you suffer an acute allergic reaction.

This reaction will release histamines into the body which can cause minor annoying results like runny nose, itching, elevated blood pressure. Or very severe reactions like antiphylaxis - the swelling and fluid retention in the airways, acute hypertension, and even death.

Anytime you combine medications you could be mixing a witches' brew in your body.

The only thing your mother should do is to seek immediate medical care. She may well be allergic to one of her meds and should try to self-regulate her prescribed meds.

Both Cipro and amoxycillin can cause severe allergic reactions, as can any of the other meds she took all within a short period of time.

I am glad she is seeing her own doctor and do hope she will be well soon.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I am seeking info and drug interactions ect.

My mother is a resident of the tiny central american country Belize and shares her time going back and forth from Texas to Belize.

They were in Belize working when she took her medication prescribed to her. She took Cipro that day and once it wore off, there was no more and decided to take an amocillian and heart burn medicine. She had run out of her Nexium and decided to take her prilosec. That night she ate some cereal with milk, she didn't want to eat anything else for dinner. Went to bed and all the sudden felt this bad fire in her chest and it went up her neck to her head and felt like she was on fire and felt like her blood vessals in her head were going to pop. She ended up going down to the doctor that night. Her blood pressure was 241 on the top and 120 on the bottom.

She told my stepdad to tell us goodbye and she loved each of her children. They did a ekg and everything was ok there, just her blood pressure which was lowering as she was there.

The next day, she told me she still had the burning, it just wasn't as bad. She was packing her bags and going to Belize City to spend the night and catch a plane the next day( today)

She will be in Houston , she is going to go to her physician who is waiting.

Does anyone know what happened to her?

I THOUGHT maybe a blood clot in her lungs, traveling to her brain. I though am not sure. She believes she had a case of nearly fatal hypertension brought on by using antibotics and prilosec.

I had read on the internet that Cipro can cause you to feel confusion, paranoria , hallucinations but nothing like described.

She thinks having cereal saved her life. I though wonder if the milk could have caused this to happen along with the prescribed drugs.

I have also scoured the internet searching information and haven't been able to find anything more than what the side effects of Cipro are.

Any links ect would be helpful.. with info gathered, I plan to arm my mom with what is given today once I can talk to her.

Thanks
Try this site:
Ask a Patient: Medicine Ratings and Health Care Opinions
Just type in the medication, and it brings up a page with them all, with peoples comments and horror stories.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
I was going to give you the same link PinkString. I will always check there before taking anything else again. Those responses are from real, everyday people!

Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Laura, you are the one that gave it to me in the first place.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:09 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
OPPS!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:54 AM

479 posts, read 1,455,738 times
I don't think I would blame the Cipro for her reaction since she'd already taken it earlier without any reaction. Sounds more like the amoxicillin...which is in the penicillin family and penicillin can cause a multitude of problems if one is sensitive or allergic to it. I would have been scared to death with a b/p that high. Do you know if she's ever had a reaction to penicillin?

Amoxicillin Information from Drugs.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness