Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:47 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The live but how good is their quality of life? Have they had a stroke? That's what I want to know.
I continue to go back to my mom/dad's generation and none of these tests were available. Parents lived into 90's and aunts/uncles all lived into 80's and another aunt into 90's...none of these tests back then.
They ate everything...most died from plain old age and my parents ended up with some cancers which were never treated as they were too old.

One uncle died in late 60's he was a smoker and asthma/enphasyma took him.

So many tests today and so much more money for the "industry"...I can't help but think this.

Could be a lot of people live longer today, more drugs are given to them...but a lot of the old folks lived long lives too, not the drugs of today. It's all so complex and we all have our thoughts and experiences.

Old 06-01-2017, 09:24 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I continue to go back to my mom/dad's generation and none of these tests were available. Parents lived into 90's and aunts/uncles all lived into 80's and another aunt into 90's...none of these tests back then.
They ate everything...most died from plain old age and my parents ended up with some cancers which were never treated as they were too old.

One uncle died in late 60's he was a smoker and asthma/enphasyma took him.

So many tests today and so much more money for the "industry"...I can't help but think this.

Could be a lot of people live longer today, more drugs are given to them...but a lot of the old folks lived long lives too, not the drugs of today. It's all so complex and we all have our thoughts and experiences.
It is complex, but the medical industry tries to make it simple. And medical news stories make it even simpler.

There is no clear evidence showing that lowering cholesterol with drugs improves health. Statins can benefit patients who already have artery disease, but probably because they reduce inflammation. Adding drugs that lower cholesterol, but are not anti-inflammatory, does not improve outcomes.

A small minority of people with high cholesterol have a genetic disorder, and would die young without cholesterol-lowering drugs. But the vast majority of people with high cholesterol do NOT have this genetic disorder.

Many or most people who are taking statin drugs do not already have heart disease, and do not have this genetic disorder. So there is no evidence that statins will protect them from heart attacks and strokes.

In addition, the studies that have been done do not show long term outcomes.

Some doctors dogmatically insist that high levels of cholesterol in the blood are the main cause of artery disease. And some insist that lifestyle changes are often not adequate, or that patients refuse to take their advice, so drugs are necessary.

These drugs may be necessary for certain patients, but for most people the evidence is ambiguous and contradictory.

There definitely is a controversy, and if you want to understand you have to read both sides.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:36 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
We also have to remember that back in our grandparents day, there wasn't a fast food industry that is so prevalent as there is today. People DID eat healthier. All the good stuff wasn't processed out of what they were buying. Preservatives weren't added in over abundance so food stuffs could sit on shelves longer.

It seems like you could make a comparison but if you look at the overall picture, they actually had 'better for you' food choices.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:48 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We also have to remember that back in our grandparents day, there wasn't a fast food industry that is so prevalent as there is today. People DID eat healthier. All the good stuff wasn't processed out of what they were buying. Preservatives weren't added in over abundance so food stuffs could sit on shelves longer.

It seems like you could make a comparison but if you look at the overall picture, they actually had 'better for you' food choices.

Yep back in the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!

Gotta love those rose colored glasses!

I don't know when YOUR grandparents lived but when MY grandparents were young in the 1920s and 1930s people weren't eating "healthier"....

They were lucky if they were eating at all, little was known about nutrient deficiencies so pellagra, rickets were common as were food borne illnesses...

Food stuffs still sat on shelves without preservatives...just not so healthy to eat food thats gone bad

The growth of publicly funded nutrition programs was accelerated during the early 1940s because of reports that 25% of draftees showed evidence of past or present malnutrition; a frequent cause of rejection from military service was tooth decay or loss. In 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt convened the National Nutrition Conference for Defense, which led to the first recommended dietary allowances of nutrients, and resulted in issuance of War Order Number One, a program to enrich wheat flour with vitamins and iron.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4840a1.htm

Plus, as an added bonus, the average lifespan for a male when my grandfather was born was 47 years of age!

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2010/022.pdf

Yea, the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!

Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM

True about the foods back in the Good Old Days and they were good as I can go back and know where I am today. The longer one lives the more they can compare.

My parents ate canned foods and processed meats, salami, bolony etc etc ... so they had better clean foods but ate canned stuff too. Processed cheeses. Processed meats.

We can go over this until the cows come home and come with our points of view on it all.

People keep bringing up the fast food industry and I agree it's not the greatest way to eat and they are working to clean it up, but enough people are eating due to the cheaper foods they can get their hands on. I've been yearning for a Carls Jr Angus grassfed beef burger and can't get there to get one.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:45 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
True about the foods back in the Good Old Days and they were good as I can go back and know where I am today. The longer one lives the more they can compare.

My parents ate canned foods and processed meats, salami, bolony etc etc ... so they had better clean foods but ate canned stuff too. Processed cheeses. Processed meats.

We can go over this until the cows come home and come with our points of view on it all.

People keep bringing up the fast food industry and I agree it's not the greatest way to eat and they are working to clean it up, but enough people are eating due to the cheaper foods they can get their hands on. I've been yearning for a Carls Jr Angus grassfed beef burger and can't get there to get one.
Talking about past foods you have to keep in mind that we have gained knowledge over the years. Look at how many dyes are now banned. Look how we do not spray with DDT and other chemicals that we now consider 'dangerous'. Look at expiration dates - in the 70's I was eating canned products, in the Army, that were packaged 30 years before.

If you go way back women were using arsenic to powder their face. Many dyes then had lead or copper arsenic.

People look back and say that our ancestors ate so healthy - but average life spans were considerably shorter.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:22 AM

Oh I'm not dismissing all the advances and yes good that dyes are being removed and still too many continue in enough products..but it's a start. I try to buy dye free ibuprofen and it's not easy.

We could go on all day about this topic.

My dear sister lost her life in Dec and the docs wrote all types of drugs, very expensive ones, infusions, injections, pills, etc etc and kept her hanging on to the stem cells are coming...they did not. I know others from a MS group who take some meds but incorporate a lot of supplements into their regime for their MS challenge. My sister didn't hear me with my info. I miss her but she chose her medicine.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:23 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,337,447 times
Maybe I had different grandparents. One was a dietitian at the local hospital.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:29 AM

Depends on one's age here...my grandparents came from the old country and helped build the U.S. My grandparents didn't have hospitals in most of their lives.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:00 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Yep back in the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!

Gotta love those rose colored glasses!

I don't know when YOUR grandparents lived but when MY grandparents were young in the 1920s and 1930s people weren't eating "healthier"....

They were lucky if they were eating at all, little was known about nutrient deficiencies so pellagra, rickets were common as were food borne illnesses...

Food stuffs still sat on shelves without preservatives...just not so healthy to eat food thats gone bad

The growth of publicly funded nutrition programs was accelerated during the early 1940s because of reports that 25% of draftees showed evidence of past or present malnutrition; a frequent cause of rejection from military service was tooth decay or loss. In 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt convened the National Nutrition Conference for Defense, which led to the first recommended dietary allowances of nutrients, and resulted in issuance of War Order Number One, a program to enrich wheat flour with vitamins and iron.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4840a1.htm

Plus, as an added bonus, the average lifespan for a male when my grandfather was born was 47 years of age!

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2010/022.pdf

Yea, the GOOD OLD DAYS!!!
My parents were born in the 20's. Grandparents born around the turn of the 20th Century. My Great-Grandma, who lived with us, was born in the 1860's. My "Good Old" Days go back farther than yours.

My Maternal side were Italian immigrants. If you think they ate like an Olive Garden of today, you are out of your mind. They took their Peasant Culture from the old country, which was not Pasta with Cream Sauces, Cheeses, etc. Lasagna and Ravioli was for HOLIDAYS. Fresh green veggies with little meat and some small pasta made into soups. Veggies in those days were cheaper than meats. Ever had Dandelion Soup with Chick Peas and Pastina? Olive Garden? Deep fried foods? I ate a lot of salads with dark greans, beans, and nuts as a kid. Whatever was in the pantry. I cannot remember them EVER deep frying anything. They made everything from scratch. This was in the 1950's when I was a child. Do you seriously think they would have gotten scurvy with what they were eating? Swanson TV Dinners were big in the 50's. Was I given this as a kid? Absolutely not. Nana made me lunches from scratch. Processed food? We didn't even eat frozen veggies. No, no, NO. Forget Swanson's and McD's.

I suppose my childhood was far different from yours. It influenced what I ate as an adult, and passed on to my own children. My Millennial daughter loves both Asian and Indian foods, and makes both herself, as do I, our Italian heritage notwithstanding. Both are far more healthier than most "American" diets. Old saying. You are what you eat.

Last edited by Jo48; 06-02-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness