Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 02:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Although high success rate, good to read the risk issues and outcomes. From what my neighbor is saying sounds like infection in her eye. I'll take prevention any day vs messing around with the eyes if one can avoid it. There is a whole world out there on prevention concerning these cataract surgeries.

What Are the Risks of Cataract Surgery? - VisionAware
Agreed. It's a good idea to get as much information as possible ahead of time. The clinic should provide information about potential risks, even if those risks are small. I was given a prescription for a couple of eye drops to be started after the procedure. I was also provided with a daily checklist as to when to apply the medications several times a day. Tobramycin (an antibiotic to prevent infection) was one, and the other was Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate (to reduce any potential swelling). The duration of the post-op home care was about 3 or 4 weeks. I had a followup visit at the clinic the day after the surgery to check for any potential problems. I was also told if any problems developed after that, to call them right away. As it turned out, there were no problems. Everything worked out fine. I'm not so optimistic about preventing cataracts from occurring though.

Last edited by NightBazaar; 02-17-2018 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 03:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Agreed. It's a good idea to get as much information as possible ahead of time. The clinic should provide information about potential risks, even if those risks are small. I was given a prescription for a couple of eye drops to be started after the procedure. I was also provided with a daily checklist as to when to apply the medications several times a day. Tobramycin (an antibiotic to prevent infection) was one, and the other was Dexamethasone Sodium Phosphate (to reduce any potential swelling). The duration of the post-op home care was about 3 or 4 weeks. I had a followup visit at the clinic the day after the surgery to check for any potential problems. I was also told if any problems developed after that, to call them right away. As it turned out, there were no problems. Everything worked out fine. I'm not so optimistic about preventing cataracts from occurring though.
Well, many do work to NOT do surgery...I'm one and hope I can go the long way like this. I mentioned my neighbor and it's too bad as her eye is swollen and red and she had it done in Aug. Doc is giving her meds but my thinking could be bacterial infection...I'm sure she did all the post op drops which I've heard about from others. I've thought prevention for over 25 yrs. I have issues that I could not prevent.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Although high success rate, good to read the risk issues and outcomes. From what my neighbor is saying sounds like infection in her eye. I'll take prevention any day vs messing around with the eyes if one can avoid it. There is a whole world out there on prevention concerning these cataract surgeries.

What Are the Risks of Cataract Surgery? - VisionAware
Aren't there any preventative supplements for infection?

Old 02-17-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
If only supps did everything. Could be, depends on what infections. Many major infections need the heavy duty abx drugs. I've had a few infections in my life and supps could not cure them.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-17-2018 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 05:02 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Well, many do work to NOT do surgery...I'm one and hope I can go the long way like this. I mentioned my neighbor and it's too bad as her eye is swollen and red and she had it done in Aug. Doc is giving her meds but my thinking could be bacterial infection...I'm sure she did all the post op drops which I've heard about from others. I've thought prevention for over 25 yrs. I have issues that I could not prevent.
If your neighbor has a bacterial infection, the meds her doctor gives her should help reduce or clear up the problem. How long has she been having that problem?

Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
If your neighbor has a bacterial infection, the meds her doctor gives her should help reduce or clear up the problem. How long has she been having that problem?
I don't know how long but she had the surgery in Aug 2017...so I would hope he knows what he's doing but she is disgusted and depressed about it all. Went in for a "simple" surgery as they all tell us and dealing with this outcome.

Come to think of it, I have another friend who had cataract surgery about 10 yrs ago or so and she was always tearing and one eye was always red. I don't know how she is now as I haven't seen her in some time.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:28 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,072,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Same here, mine progressed quickly in the past year and a half. I’ve had cataract surgery on both eyes done in the past two weeks and the clarity and colors I can see now is amazing. I knew my sight was worsening with night driving, not being able to see in low light and star effects around lights. I didn’t realize how bad my eyesight had become until after the first cataract surgery was done. Looking out the other eye that needed to be done yet was like looking out an extremely dirty window. The difference for me has been surprising, I didn’t realize how much vision I had lost.

Your post sounds really uplifting!!

I am now experiencing exactly what you're talking about.
The colors and shapes of everything lately....I tell my sister they look like big glaring Christmas ornaments!

Old 02-17-2018, 05:49 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes The eyedrops given to be used before and after cataract surgery include antibiotics. They also include a steroid (prednisone) and NSAID drops, these to prevent inflammation.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:15 PM

175 posts, read 846,624 times
Quote:
How recent was "recently"?
December 6.1917

Old 02-18-2018, 12:18 PM

175 posts, read 846,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Many more people report positive results and much better vision, and are happy with their results. I'm one of them.
I am not one of them. I could see much better before surgery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness