Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM

79 posts, read 81,879 times

Advertisements

A new book sheds new light on the huge back pain relief industry in the U.S.

It's written by an investigative journalist who spent several years looking into finding relief for her own back pain.

"Crooked: Outwitting the Back Pain Industry" reveals the drawbacks to a lot of the back surgery, injections and other treatments for back pain.. glad I read it before I spent big bucks on various treatments that, for many people, either don't work, only last for a short time, or even make things worse.

I'm not the author, but think it's worthwhile for people to know more before they undergo treatment for their back pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 10:50 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
My back started to give me pain when I was 18 and I'm headed to 79. I have done a lot of back work over 60 yrs and still do my home exercises as best I can now.

Never did a back surgery.

Yesterday on NPR there was a segment that back surgeries are the MOST repeated surgeries out there. I've heard stories about 3-9 repeated surgeries on the back.

Here's the book, I'm not going to read it as I could write my own, but I'm sure I'd agree with all that is written.

https://www.amazon.com/Crooked-Outwi.../dp/0062641786

Old 06-13-2017, 01:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Years ago, I was a nurse, and I worked on a floor that had many back surgery patients - laminectomies and fusions.

From what I saw then, I concluded that there were too many failures - too many people that these surgeries didn't help. Yes, quite a few were helped, but I didn't - and don't - think that the odds were good enough for ME to ever undergo these surgeries.

I believe it was Consumer Reports who once asked their readers who had back pain what worked for them. IIRC, yoga and chiropractors were the winners. And I'd be careful of the chiros, some of them are indeed quacks.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:26 PM

79 posts, read 81,879 times
OP here: Driving around South Jersey where I live, it seems there are existing pain clinics or new ones popping up just about everywhere. Obviously, as us boomers get into our 50s, 60s and 70s, discs degenerate.. it's pretty much expected from what I've read.

What a huge market for anestheologists, surgeons, etc! And when it comes to injections, which give only temporary relief, it's sorta like ink cartridges for printers. You've got to keep paying for them for the rest of your life, or just say forget it, and find the right exercises, stretching, etc to keep the pain to a minimum so you can still live your life.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:47 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
everyone can tell a different story about their back pain, treatments and success versus failures. I think today's surgery is much more successful than years ago with the healing process much faster. Would I go through with it? No, because my problems are strictly age and arthritis but for our daughter it was a wonderful relief. She has had surgery twice and is only in her late 50s, but she can now play golf again, stand and cook for longer periods of time and do things she could not even dream of doing 2 years ago. No, she is not 100% but enough better that she would do it again if necessary.We all have to accept we will not ever be the same as we were before these ailments set in.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
everyone can tell a different story about their back pain, treatments and success versus failures. I think today's surgery is much more successful than years ago with the healing process much faster. Would I go through with it? No, because my problems are strictly age and arthritis but for our daughter it was a wonderful relief. She has had surgery twice and is only in her late 50s, but she can now play golf again, stand and cook for longer periods of time and do things she could not even dream of doing 2 years ago. No, she is not 100% but enough better that she would do it again if necessary.We all have to accept we will not ever be the same as we were before these ailments set in.

Good about your daughter, even though my back started giving me pain over 60 yrs ago I got thru it all and surgery was never brought up to me. Today at 79 soon is a different story, I have a tough time standing in the kitchen for long time etc etc....I talked my 72 yr old brother out of back surgery last year, he's a lifetime golfer, and we hear stories about golfer's backs.

I have two friends who had hip replacements on Monday, one is going on 79 and the other is 90...HOPE they have good outcomes. I live with complications from mine at 72. Thanks again. J

Old 06-14-2017, 12:59 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

Here's the book, I'm not going to read it as I could write my own, but I'm sure I'd agree with all that is written.

https://www.amazon.com/Crooked-Outwi.../dp/0062641786
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I believe it was Consumer Reports who once asked their readers who had back pain what worked for them. IIRC, yoga and chiropractors were the winners. And I'd be careful of the chiros, some of them are indeed quacks.

I have RA in my lower back. When it acts up a muscle relaxant and yoga is very helpful.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Mikala, I don't know what you mean by your faces..

Old 06-14-2017, 01:24 PM

It is odd to agree with something you have not read....

Personally, I would never claim to have so much knowledge I could write a book based upon what I have read on the internet. I mean if you performed studies, went to med school, were a nurse..... maybe.

Just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness