Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM

361 posts, read 431,765 times

Advertisements

I love Dunkin Donuts iced coffee, and I previously used to drink a couple per week during the warm months. I usually get a medium cookie dough with cream when it is in season, and when it's not in season, I get a medium caramel with cream. Once in a while, I'll just get a regular with cream and sugar, but usually I get a flavored one. For whatever reason, though, I can no longer stomach the coffee. I never actually vomit from it, but whenever I drink it, especially if it's on an empty stomach or right after a meal, I feel nauseous, jittery, and have to poop for several hours after. I now am stuck getting iced tea instead of coffee whenever I go there because of the way the coffee makes me feel. I recently took a break for a few weeks and then got a regular the other day instead of caramel because I thought maybe the sweetness of the caramel was bothering me, but I felt queasy again regardless. I love the taste of the coffee, so it's been disappointing only being able to have a couple all summer, and the summer is almost over now as well. But it is not worth it for it to make me feel like this. I have had this problem with Starbucks coffee as well, but homemade is generally fine unless I have just eaten or have not eaten at all. I also recently went to see a GI doctor because I was having problems handling some foods as well (particularly greasy/heavy ones), but my blood test came back completely normal, which is very frustrating. I will likely have to have a colonoscopy in a couple of weeks to determine the further cause of this, but is there any likely reason that DD iced coffee in particular could be making me queasy? I love the taste of it, and I hate having to get tea whenever I go there because of this problem. If it helps, I get the coffee caffeinated, and always a size medium, so it tends to make me very anxious as well, especially in times of stress. But I never used to have this problem, and it really sucks. And again, everything appears to be normal in my system, according to the results of my blood test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
I have similar issues with coffee, and I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I don't know what your doctor told you, or what your blood test was for, but IBS is not diagnosed by blood tests. Nor can it be diagnosed with a colonoscopy.

The question that immediately leaps to my mind is whether you use milk, cream, or powdered creamer. If you use the DD powdered creamer, maybe they have changed the formulation. If you use milk/cream, it may be that you can no longer digest lactose, which is pretty common with getting older.

First thing I'd do is try a smaller cup of coffee, it may be that the well-known laxative effect of coffee is hitting you harder as you get older, this is also common.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I have similar issues with coffee, and I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I don't know what your doctor told you, or what your blood test was for, but IBS is not diagnosed by blood tests. Nor can it be diagnosed with a colonoscopy.

The question that immediately leaps to my mind is whether you use milk, cream, or powdered creamer. If you use the DD powdered creamer, maybe they have changed the formulation. If you use milk/cream, it may be that you can no longer digest lactose, which is pretty common with getting older.

First thing I'd do is try a smaller cup of coffee, it may be that the well-known laxative effect of coffee is hitting you harder as you get older, this is also common.
I just use DD cream. I order it with cream.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I don't go in for those designer coffee drinks, never did. My now one cup of organic coffee with coconut creamer and a little agave sweetner or a little honey does it for me. I don't know what's in those creamers -- maybe some not so great chemicals. I never bought the powdered splenda, etc stuff either.

Just wondering IF these coffee shops offer organic coffees? I don't frequent them anyway, but I've read that coffee beans are heavily sprayed with pesticides. How true I don't know, none of us know anything for sure.

Talking about the need for protein as we get older, a friend yesterday said she lost her taste desire for eggs. I still eat one hard boiled with my other breakfast protein stuff every day. Why things happen in our systems who knows.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I don't go in for those designer coffee drinks, never did. My now one cup of organic coffee with coconut creamer and a little agave sweetner or a little honey does it for me. I don't know what's in those creamers -- maybe some not so great chemicals. I never bought the powdered splenda, etc stuff either.

Just wondering IF these coffee shops offer organic coffees? I don't frequent them anyway, but I've read that coffee beans are heavily sprayed with pesticides. How true I don't know, none of us know anything for sure.

Talking about the need for protein as we get older, a friend yesterday said she lost her taste desire for eggs. I still eat one hard boiled with my other breakfast protein stuff every day. Why things happen in our systems who knows.
I have no clue. The drinks are delicious and refreshing in hot summer, but unfortunately it's not worth the sacrifice of my stomach. It could be the sweetness or the cream, I just wish I knew.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:58 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
My first thought is lactose intolerance. Do you have the same symptoms with black coffee?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:12 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Coffee just does a number on my stomach, I drink one cup a day for awhile then I have to take breaks due to gastric problems and nauseous feelings. it is much worse during hot weather like we are having now. I just went back on green tea again.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Sometimes brands change formulas and a filler, flavor, preservative, chemical, whatever, is added and it just does not agree with you. Try a different coffee shop or make your own. See if it's the coffee/cream/sugar or if it's DD.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My first thought is lactose intolerance. Do you have the same symptoms with black coffee?
I can't drink black coffee, so I've never tested it out. The taste is disgusting.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:00 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
It's probably the cream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness