Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:50 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times

Advertisements

The tiger thing is kind of a head-slapper. Another tabloid, and even if there is accuracy to the story, it's an isolated incident, not something you can generalize about "India" (India is huge, and full of different cultures!) for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Yowsa! As an elder myself I think I'd prefer the ice floes.

Growing Old with the Inuit |

Disclaimer, I have no idea if any of this is true or not.
Generalizing about Inuit is like generalizing about, say, Slavs - of course there are commonalities, but the various populations have their own practices. I am not an anthropologist or historian, but I gather from talking to people here (Alaska) it seems that if a person was too infirm and not going to get better, suicide (with or without another's help) was often considered a better way to go. Quite understandable in a time and place without hospitals or the like, where folks had to be always migrating to follow food sources. And in times of famine people sometimes did what they had to do to survive, which sometimes meant abandoning people who were not contributing actively to the survival of the group. (There is a famous passed-down story about this that was recorded in novella form, called Two Old Women - it's Athabaskan, not Inuit, but similar phenomenon and conditions.) But it's not just like old folks were getting automatically killed for being old - there is a deep respect for elders' contributions.

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Old-Women.../dp/0972494499

Last edited by Frostnip; 07-09-2017 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:58 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I have to agree with OP here. Complaining patients not only cause healthcare worker burnout, but are equally bad for themselves:

"...not only does expressing negativity tend not to make us feel better, it's also catching, making listeners feel worse."

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman...ence-says.html

Good article that some of you might benefit from reading.

Quote:
"... not only does expressing negativity tend not to make us feel better, it's also catching, making listeners feel worse." "People don't break wind in elevators more than they have to. Venting anger is...similar to emotional farting in a closed area" .....
Well said! I'm putting that in my quote journal.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:23 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
Wonder why OP is hanging around a Health and Wellness group where understandably the majority of posts will be medical complaints?

Old 07-09-2017, 07:40 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Wonder why OP is hanging around a Health and Wellness group where understandably the majority of posts will be medical complaints?

I guess I was mistaken that my remark about my health and fitness would be appropriate for a forum with this title. It seems it should be renamed, "The illness and Infirmity Forum".

Old 07-10-2017, 04:16 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
It's a healthcare workers job to listen to their patients, and it takes a special person to listen. Lots of times the healthcare workers find the true root of the problem just having a conversation with a patient. It's been proven more affective then listing questions and herding one patient to the next like cattle.
I am an R.N. and 95% of my job is telephone triage and the other 5% is triage of walk-in patients with various health complaints. If I did not have good listening skills I could not do my job effectively. But I will say that once I determine the root of the problem the patient calls in with and determine the appropriate disposition which could be giving home care advise, making the patient an appointment with their physician, or directing then to go to the ER or call 911 and the patient for whatever reason wants to continue our conversation I often have to gently end the call. And the reason for that is I could have 10 patients waiting to talk with me, and patient #10 who told the clerk who answered their call that their complaint is nausea, but this could be the patient who is having a heart attack. And for this reason I do not have the luxury to have lengthy conversations with patients, and although it does not happen often some patients do get a little upset if I have to end the call before they want to end the call.

I make no excuses for rude uncaring healthcare workers, but do understand that healthcare workers have lives outside of the workplace just like everyone else. And those lives may include having a sick child, parent, just experienced a loss of a loved one, or are facing their own health issues and sometimes these bleed into their work life. I can tell you from personal experience returning to work following cancer treatment was very challenging. I believe going through that experience made me much more compassionate for my cancer and other seriously ill patients, but I found myself very sensitive for a time when patients behaved very obnoxious and disrespectful towards me for no reason which was something that did not bother me previously. I certainly would not respond back to these patients in a similar way, but instead would find myself in tears when our conversation ended.

So, if a health care worker expresses themselves in a way you perceive as inattentiveness which in no way has harmed your physical health, give them a one time pass because their mind may be on their ill parent, child, spouse, etc. just like yours would be if you were experiencing the same situation.

Last edited by Nightengale212; 07-10-2017 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 07-10-2017, 05:28 AM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
I work in healthcare. I learn very interesting and important things by listening to the whole list of ills and listening about ones life. Often there are old injuries or illnesses that do, or can, impact the current condition. And by listening to people tell me about their life, I sometimes get insight on what approaches to offer that will make the most sense to a person.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:01 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I was in heath care for 25 years and I talked to my patients like they were my friends. It builds trust. There is more to taking care of patients then just being clinical. I held a lot of hands and lent a sympathetic ear when ever possible. The problem I had was with narcissistic family members that thought the focus should be on them and their needs. I did my best to politely shut them down. Some took the hint, others didn't. That's not to sat I wouldn't give support to someone who just lost a loved one or had some bad news. I certainly did a lot of that. I remember when one of my work friends was in critical condition and her mother was the only one there. I stayed with her and held her hand until other family members showed up. Most health care workers are kind people. You know the ones that are over whelmed and burned out. You also know the ones that are just there to collect a pay check. For the most part I enjoyed "being part of the family" when I took care of my patients.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,238 times
It's like cops, a job I respect but could never do (I feel bad for them too)

Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
The tiger thing is kind of a head-slapper. Another tabloid, and even if there is accuracy to the story, it's an isolated incident, not something you can generalize about "India" (India is huge, and full of different cultures!) for.

Generalizing about Inuit is like generalizing about, say, Slavs - of course there are commonalities, but the various populations have their own practices. I am not an anthropologist or historian, but I gather from talking to people here (Alaska) it seems that if a person was too infirm and not going to get better, suicide (with or without another's help) was often considered a better way to go. Quite understandable in a time and place without hospitals or the like, where folks had to be always migrating to follow food sources. And in times of famine people sometimes did what they had to do to survive, which sometimes meant abandoning people who were not contributing actively to the survival of the group. (There is a famous passed-down story about this that was recorded in novella form, called Two Old Women - it's Athabaskan, not Inuit, but similar phenomenon and conditions.) But it's not just like old folks were getting automatically killed for being old - there is a deep respect for elders' contributions.

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Old-Women.../dp/0972494499
The tiger thing could be true. Talking for a friend originally from India and living in the U.S. about 50 yrs she says India is such an extremely POOR country and extremes of WEALTH. This tabloid isn't the only place where this is found. Look at the Taj Mahal, one of the 7 wonders of the world, in India. And then look at Mother Theresa.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
It's like cops, a job I respect but could never do (I feel bad for them too)
Why feel bad for those who CHOOSE their professions? I don't get your thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness