Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 03:21 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times

Advertisements

They just said on the news that our dew point (not humidity) is 76° right now, which is "Brazilian Rain Forest level". It's gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 05:27 PM

21,877 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Nothing really.

Combination of heat + humidity is what does it for me. 90% humidity at 60 degrees? I don't notice. 90% humidity at 90 degrees? AC post haste!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:24 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I don't care for the heat, especially the humidity or dew point. The high humidity seems to bother my arthritis more than the cold weather. Spent the last 15 years in the FL Keys for the winter. About March 15th it was time to head north. Could never live with the oppressive humidity and heat of the south.
OMG, yes on the arthritis. I kept hearing people say moving south helped them so much and instead I barely recognize my hands anymore. They spend weeks swollen and sore. I have more nodules on my joints and my fingers are as thick as sausages.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:10 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,402,351 times
People are so different. Chalk me up as another one that suffers in high humidity and is exquisitely sensitive to changes in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
don't think the OP or others need a Meteorology lesson, just how does it make you feel physically?
Actually, that's kind of the point of this thread so far. Biometeorology is a very narrow scientific specialty and medically related biometeorology is so specialized that I don't think there is even a formal name for it yet, As climate change forces increased heat and humidity, there will be increasing interest in and demand for the field.

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/p34_s.pdf

Increased heat and humidity have been shown to significantly impact people with neuroimmune/endocrine/pulmonary issues such as arthritis, migraine sufferers, fibromyalgia, and asthma. Biometeorology has also been demonstrated to significantly impact other animals, such as lizards

Biometeorology

I'm heading into retirement in a few years, and, though I love the beach, will not be looking to move there due to the humidity. If I were just starting a professional career, biometeorological medicine would be a fascinating field to get into. Related topics would also be fruitful for biology theses.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
I get terrible sinus headaches when it suddenly gets humid. Literally feels like something driving a spike into the corner of my forehead. My skin gets itchy too and face gets red and hot a lot. Unfortunately, it stays hot and sticky in my area at least from July to August and sometimes even as long as late October.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
People are so different. Chalk me up as another one that suffers in high humidity and is exquisitely sensitive to changes in it.

Actually, that's kind of the point of this thread so far. Biometeorology is a very narrow scientific specialty and medically related biometeorology is so specialized that I don't think there is even a formal name for it yet, As climate change forces increased heat and humidity, there will be increasing interest in and demand for the field.

http://www.sld.cu/galerias/pdf/p34_s.pdf

Increased heat and humidity have been shown to significantly impact people with neuroimmune/endocrine/pulmonary issues such as arthritis, migraine sufferers, fibromyalgia, and asthma. Biometeorology has also been demonstrated to significantly impact other animals, such as lizards

Biometeorology

I'm heading into retirement in a few years, and, though I love the beach, will not be looking to move there due to the humidity. If I were just starting a professional career, biometeorological medicine would be a fascinating field to get into. Related topics would also be fruitful for biology theses.
Why don't we hear more about biometeorology and how weather affects the way we feel? I never knew there was such a thing. Always thought this was just "an old wives' tale" that weather could affect your mental health. Yet, I know that humidity does make me groggy, sleepy, and lacking energy. But then, what could we do to solve this problem? Go around with a gas mask??

Old 07-19-2017, 06:53 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Why don't we hear more about biometeorology and how weather affects the way we feel? I never knew there was such a thing. Always thought this was just "an old wives' tale" that weather could affect your mental health. Yet, I know that humidity does make me groggy, sleepy, and lacking energy. But then, what could we do to solve this problem? Go around with a gas mask??
On the other end of the weather, many of us suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. It's the gloomy grey skies that knock me down.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Humidity up to about 60 percent is fine to me - but then I have lived most of my life in the Gulf states or MidAtlantic region so I'm used to it. I actually prefer it over "dry" weather because it seems easier on my skin and hair and lips and eyes.

However, July through September here in northeast Texas is stifling due to the potent mix of heat and high humidity. I don't know how people settled here prior to air conditioning!

When it's really hot AND humid, I feel lethargic. Thankfully I only have to deal with that for a few months per year - and thankfully I don't ever have to shovel snow - or drive in it!

It's a trade off. To each her own.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Besides feeling "yukky", I also notice I am short of breath at times, when, previously this did not happen. But it's mile hi here, similar to Denver, CO, so I guess it's all part of it. Just moving 100 miles north has made a difference in my health !

Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
On the other end of the weather, many of us suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder. It's the gloomy grey skies that knock me down.
Give me cool, grey skies any day of the year. I absolutely detest the heat and humidity makes it unbearable. I don't have a problem with humidity if the temps are cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness