Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 05:47 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times

Advertisements

Have a full physical so as to rule out other issues, but I can vouch that the meclizine works if it is simply vertigo. I only rarely take it if the vertigo doesn't pass quickly or if it is more severe, but it is nice to have it on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 06:16 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I had the same issue about 20 years ago. It was something called labyrinthitis which has something to do with the inner ear. Another episode was positional because I was reading while a passenger in a car. My brain and inner ear weren't communicating properly. One time it was bad enough that I had to go to the hospital because the dizziness was making me vomit constantly. They gave me meclizine which knocks you out for a full day and made my mouth very dry. I don't remember if I was given antibiotics or not but I was referred to an ENT for testing to make sure I didn't have Meniere's disease. I sympathize as it is a horrible feeling. I wouldn't even go on a cruise for fear of it happening again because of the movement of the ship.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:57 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
I have this. I take up to 3 meclizine a day. It's good stuff.

It is a neurological disorder. Mine showed up after my forced husband bashed my head in.

I get migraines with it and one doctor referred to it as migraine auras. It varies from person to person the reason for the symptoms though. If you don't get migraines/headaches with yours then it wouldn't be auras.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
Look up the systems of Meneries Disease. If you are experiencing vertigo and tinnitus, this is something to consider.
Meniere's disease. Here is a link.

https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/...nieres-disease

Old 02-25-2019, 01:44 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,974,016 times
Thanks a lot guys! If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I'll see what I can do because I've GOT to feel better than this. Thank God NO nausea or throwing up ever though!

I can't believe this! I agree to get an MRI done (for the 1st time ever) to see what my off/on dizziness could be & the MRI itself ends up causing me a LOT more dizziness...I'd say probably 60% MORE!

Even when I drive or am in the car now, I feel funny & that's never happened in my life!

I still have some Meclizine pills at 25mg, so I finally took one again today to see if it helps even though it didn't seem to help before... I can't feel much worse! Do you think 25mg is strong enough to work?

To answer your questions...

My blood pressure was never low...always good or a little high.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:43 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks a lot guys! If you can think of anything else, please let me know. I'll see what I can do because I've GOT to feel better than this. Thank God NO nausea or throwing up ever though!

I can't believe this! I agree to get an MRI done (for the 1st time ever) to see what my off/on dizziness could be & the MRI itself ends up causing me a LOT more dizziness...I'd say probably 60% MORE!

Even when I drive or am in the car now, I feel funny & that's never happened in my life!

I still have some Meclizine pills at 25mg, so I finally took one again today to see if it helps even though it didn't seem to help before... I can't feel much worse! Do you think 25mg is strong enough to work?

To answer your questions...

My blood pressure was never low...always good or a little high.
When you start taking them it takes a while of consistent usage before they make a huge difference sometimes.

25 mg is the usual pill strength. They are powerful suckers once they start working for you. It took about two or three weeks before I noticed the difference after I first started taking them.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:08 PM

^ Thanks. I noticed they make me VERY drowsy. I took 2 yesterday, the last one being at 5:40pm & I felt sleepy still when waking up this morning. Directions say 3x/day, but I should do 1x/ a day if at all. I don't know how do you take them for 2-3 weeks w/o feeling like a walking mummy!

Old 02-26-2019, 03:47 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
^ Thanks. I noticed they make me VERY drowsy. I took 2 yesterday, the last one being at 5:40pm & I felt sleepy still when waking up this morning. Directions say 3x/day, but I should do 1x/ a day if at all. I don't know how do you take them for 2-3 weeks w/o feeling like a walking mummy!
People at my mom’s office who take it actually recommended she try 1/2 when symptoms come on as an average sized female. I would see if that works for you.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 AM

Thanks. I started taking 1/2 when I was 1st prescribed 1.5 yrs ago...maybe that's why I felt like it didn't quite work.

Also to prevent the drowsiness, yesterday I took 1 about a 2-3 or so hrs before going to bed, so when it takes its effect, it's time to sleep anyway!

I see my dr TODAY. Is Meclizine really the best med out there for dizziness OR should I ask for a new prescription for something else?

Old 03-01-2019, 05:02 PM

683 posts, read 1,884,265 times
My vertigo is caused by a tumor in my internal auditory canal called a vestibular schwanomma. MRI (WITH contrast) is required for diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness