Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:30 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,987 times

Advertisements

Well, the MRI is in.....I'm a candidate for the surgery.

I'm 64, 290 lbs., otherwise in good health. I'm wondering how long the full recovery time including therapy will be. I have insurance for it and also keep a cash reserve for expenses.

My insurance allows 6 months for short term disability. Is that a sufficient recovery period? I do heavy lifting and stairs daily in my job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 01:15 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
At age 62, I suffered a torn medial meniscus doing leg lifts and leg curls. The surgeon shaved away 20% of the meniscus. This is called a partial meniscectomy. It was done on an outpatient basis. The next day the knee was swollen with fluid. The following day, walking on flat surface or uphill didn't give me much trouble but walking downhill was painful. Within a week I returned to my four mile jogging routine.

My experience is probably not typical. Your rate of recovery depends on the nature of the tear. Some tears require removal of the entire meniscus. This is bad news because the meniscus is a protective pad and all that's left is a thin layer of hyaline cartilage and it wears away fast and you're left with permanent bone-on-bone contact. This is why the MDs try to leave some of the meniscus intact.

You know, many MDs today recommend against surgery unless the tear results in a flap of tissue which causes severe pain every time you move. My tear did not have that flap; it was a straight vertical rip in the very back of the medial meniscus. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have had the surgery.

Nine years later, I have no problems except for squatting down like a baseball catcher.

Your six months should be far more than a sufficient recovery period unless you undergo a total meniscectomy which as I said results in permanent pain.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:07 PM

138 posts, read 233,396 times
When I had my torn medial meniscus repaired 15 years ago, it was my first surgical procedure ever and I was looking forward to a little pampering after the 20-minute arthroscopic operation, like having someone roll me out to the car in a wheelchair. Instead, the surgeon said, "No wheelchair, you walk outside on your own". So I did. He had injected lots of painkiller into the surgical site so I didn't feel any pain, actually ever. Personally, taking it easy and making sure I didn't fall down for 3-4 days was all I needed, as I recall.

Old 10-04-2015, 02:32 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
Mine took 4 months along with physical therapy. Then had problem over a year latter and needed more PT. Everyone is different.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Mine was done arthroscopically and he cut away the torn edge. I did the exercises prescribed and was walking normally within days.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:26 PM

588 posts, read 1,439,509 times
I've had arthroscopic knee surgery a few times. I spent a day or two using two crutches, then a few days using one crutch, and then was walking normally.

I do have chronic knee issues, though. My knees hurt a lot.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:53 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Our daughter had the same thing; of course everyone is different, but I have also had a few friends and my brother who has had surgery. Never has the recovery been more than a few months. and I believe today, it is always out patient. I had a complete knee replacement 9 months ago and have been as good as new for the past 3 or 4 months. Baring complecations and assuming your job isn't terribly phisically challenging I can't believe you will even need 6 months.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

I'm 64, 290 lbs., otherwise in good health. I'm wondering how long the full recovery time including therapy will be. I have insurance for it and also keep a cash reserve for expenses.

My insurance allows 6 months for short term disability. Is that a sufficient recovery period? I do heavy lifting and stairs daily in my job.
I had this surgery four years ago and do not recommend it. It doesn't fix anything unless you have a floating piece of meniscus that causes your knee to lock. I suggest you research this procedure before having it done. There was an article in the New York Times a couple years ago that questioned this procedure. I think insurance companies pay for it to delay paying for a knee replacement. They know that by delaying the surgery, normal mortality will ensure they don't have to pay for as many knee replacements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitten View Post
When I had my torn medial meniscus repaired 15 years ago, it was my first surgical procedure ever and I was looking forward to a little pampering after the 20-minute arthroscopic operation, like having someone roll me out to the car in a wheelchair. Instead, the surgeon said, "No wheelchair, you walk outside on your own". So I did. He had injected lots of painkiller into the surgical site so I didn't feel any pain, actually ever. Personally, taking it easy and making sure I didn't fall down for 3-4 days was all I needed, as I recall.
They taught me how to use crutches, but I found they were more bother than help. I actually attempted to mow grass with a push mower two day after surgery. That was a mistake, but I was walking normally in a few days. I didn't do any physical therapy but I do weightlifting exercises, and try to do as many one-legged exercises as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
At age 62, I suffered a torn medial meniscus doing leg lifts and leg curls. The surgeon shaved away 20% of the meniscus. This is called a partial meniscectomy. It was done on an outpatient basis. The next day the knee was swollen with fluid. The following day, walking on flat surface or uphill didn't give me much trouble but walking downhill was painful. Within a week I returned to my four mile jogging routine.

My experience is probably not typical. Your rate of recovery depends on the nature of the tear. Some tears require removal of the entire meniscus. This is bad news because the meniscus is a protective pad and all that's left is a thin layer of hyaline cartilage and it wears away fast and you're left with permanent bone-on-bone contact. This is why the MDs try to leave some of the meniscus intact.

You know, many MDs today recommend against surgery unless the tear results in a flap of tissue which causes severe pain every time you move. My tear did not have that flap; it was a straight vertical rip in the very back of the medial meniscus. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have had the surgery.

Nine years later, I have no problems except for squatting down like a baseball catcher.

Your six months should be far more than a sufficient recovery period unless you undergo a total meniscectomy which as I said results in permanent pain.
I agree with everything you said, except I doubt the exercises caused the torn meniscus.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:49 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
At age 62, I suffered a torn medial meniscus doing leg lifts and leg curls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree with everything you said, except I doubt the exercises caused the torn meniscus.
Despite the advanced age and hyperactive lifestyle, the legs were asymptomatic until doing leg curls. Very sharp pain ensued. Changing positions to perform leg extensions, the pain returned during the first rep. Earlier that day, I spent an hr. weeding the veg. garden from a catcher's squat position. No problem. I have to blame it on the sudden trauma resulting from exercise overload.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

I had it done about 12 years ago. I was 45. I stayed out of work two and a half weeks. I am salaried and not under Workmen's Comp., but I did ask the doctor what the normal out-of-work time would be and he said Workmen's Comp pays for three weeks.

However, I had a desk job, although I had a lot of stairs to climb to get to it (94, coming out of the underground train). Heavy lifting plus 20 years--you may need more time for sure.

But, the recovery was pleasantly quick and easy and the surgery did fix the problem. I was in pain before. I had a surgery on a Monday, and on the following Sunday, I walked a mile, stopping to rest three times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness