Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Are you getting the same injections/same doctor that gave you the knee infection that ended up with you in the hospital?
Yes, Mikala, and any doctor can give us injections and we can end up with infection. I've had 5-6 at least and no issues and one the MD just hit the wrong place and it was bad. One important issue is using an ultrasound to guide where the needle goes and he didn't use one back when I was seeing him. He now has an ultrasound. And I still have NOT said for sure if I'll get them, but he does great cranio bodywork and I miss that too. I've been doing healing at home since the hospital mess for going on 2 yrs.

We all choose our possible poisons and I resist a lot of drugs.

One MD I won't go back to is the surgeon who messed me up to begin with for the hip. I hope and pray the parts never dislocate and do what they can do.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-03-2019 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-03-2019, 11:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
I recently saw a sports medicine/physical medicine physician from a leading academic medical center regarding my knee. He suggested PRP and said they had good results. The cost is $600. I only have moderate pain from being physically active so I'm a long way off from a knee replacement. I'll give it a few years and see if the outcomes are better and if it becomes covered by insurance.

I asked him about prolotherapy and he was not enthusiastic about it. I had prolotherapy two years ago and it did nothing.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I recently saw a sports medicine/physical medicine physician from a leading academic medical center regarding my knee. He suggested PRP and said they had good results. The cost is $600. I only have moderate pain from being physically active so I'm a long way off from a knee replacement. I'll give it a few years and see if the outcomes are better and if it becomes covered by insurance.

I asked him about prolotherapy and he was not enthusiastic about it. I had prolotherapy two years ago and it did nothing.
It's all prolotherapy and PRP and Stem Cells are the most recent advancements. I've heard even the MD's speak differently on this whole total Prolo system. $600 is a lot less than the least expensive PRP here which is $850....but with moderate pain and you can get your life done, keep doing other stuff too to keep going. I had good results with the original type and the MD used dextrose....I've talked about my success before here.

I've had good results with the original PRolo except for the one that I ended up with infection. Last thing that was on my mind as I never had issues. Makes me think that even one could end up with infection with the cortisone injections and those are given so much.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-03-2019 at 12:45 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 12:19 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's all prolotherapy and PRP and Stem Cells are the most recent advancements. I've heard even the MD's speak differently on this who total Prolo system. $600 is a lot less than the least expensive PRP here which is $850....but with moderate pain and you can get your life done, keep doing other stuff too to keep going.

I've had good results with the original PRolo except for the one that I ended up with infection. Last thing that was on my mind as I never had issues. Makes me think that even one could end up with infection with the cortisone injections and those are given so much.

My wife is a CRNP and always tells me there is a risk of infection anytime you get an injection. I didn't tell her how many times the doctor jabbed me with the prolotherapy.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
My wife is a CRNP and always tells me there is a risk of infection anytime you get an injection. I didn't tell her how many times the doctor jabbed me with the prolotherapy.
My very first session with Prolo about 10 yrs ago was 8 jabs in my shoulder and a sports medicine MD with an ultra sound machine did the work, and no infection...and 3 yrs of pain free shoulder. So I know it works and we can get different experiences with everything we try and take.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
I believe in the total concept of Prolotherapy and the various types come under the Prolo umbrella. I've had it work and hope to do it again soon, the high cost of PRP keeps me from doing this type.

Seeing the D.O. again and going slowly with more injections, but bottom line I Do Believe as it's worked for me. And infections can come from so many places that we do in our lives.

Time will tell how much of a fad it is. It's growing in our country with so many doctors learning this work and many teaching hospitals teaching Prolo. More and more patients want less invasive healings. And true, may not work for everyone, like everything else we try.
There is no “umbrella “!of prolotherapy

There is prolotherapy and there is PRP/stem cells

They are not even remotely related other than being injections

There is a HUGE difference between injecting inert sugar water with the hope that it causes irritation and some vague unproven response and injection of bio active human cells with the hopes of tissue differentiation and regeneration

Old 04-05-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is no “umbrella “!of prolotherapy

There is prolotherapy and there is PRP/stem cells

They are not even remotely related other than being injections

There is a HUGE difference between injecting inert sugar water with the hope that it causes irritation and some vague unproven response and injection of bio active human cells with the hopes of tissue differentiation and regeneration
Not true. It's all Prolotherapy from the earliest solutions and the latest solutions...

All Proliferation of joints.

I don't know which state you do your work but no Prolotherapy in your state? It's all over the U.S. and a lot of the rest of the world.

C. Everett Koop's story, just one site.

http://injurycaremedical.com/dr-koop/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-05-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 06:30 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Not true. It's all Prolotherapy from the earliest solutions and the latest solutions...

All Proliferation of joints.

I don't know which state you do your work but no Prolotherapy in your state? It's all over the U.S. and a lot of the rest of the world.

C. Everett Koop's story, just one site.

Prolotherapy: Dr. C. Everett Koop’s story | Injury Care Medical Center, Boise, Idaho
If you think PRP/Stem Cells are a "form of prolotherapy" then you really have NO idea what prolotherapy IS or what it attempts to accomplish....

They ARE NOT the same thing.....

Your Koop story has nothing to do with the differences and the "solutions" haven't changed....its sugar water....plain and simple there is no "earlier solutions" and "later solutions"

Here is info from a site you have linked in the past explaining why prolotherapy and PRP/Stem Cells ARE NOT the same and should never even be done at THE SAME TIME

"Having said that, recently we became aware of physicians offering cellular therapy (PRP and/or stem cells) with prolotherapy, which regrettably means that these physicians are injecting dead cells"

https://www.regenexx.com/blog/stem-c...-prolotherapy/

Old 04-06-2019, 06:43 PM

It's the same process, and now 3 different types of solutions since PRP and Stem Cells hit the scene. All injections for doing the same thing, different solutions.

Good info here on the history and more on Dr. Koop and the why's it doesn't work for many.

https://www.revolutionhealth.org/prolotherapy-history/

Some providers are even mixing PRP and the Stem Cells for advancement.

I did pretty darn good with good ole original dextrose/lidocaine and when I see myself clear I may try some more of this one from the D.O.

And like with all NEW protocols, be it drugs, surgeries you name it, the cost goes up with all the new generations. I find myself sticking with some of what I do as the old stuff is best, new doesn't mean it's better. I live with the newest hip job and all the damage.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-06-2019 at 06:53 PM..

Old 04-06-2019, 06:49 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
It's the same process, and now 3 different types of solutions since PRP and Stem Cells hit the scene. All injections for doing the same thing, different solutions.

Good info here on the history and more on Dr. Koop and the why's it doesn't work for many.

https://www.revolutionhealth.org/prolotherapy-history/

Some providers are even mixing PRP and the Stem Cells for advancement.

I did pretty darn good with good ole original dextrose/lidocaine and when I see myself clear I may try some more of this one from the D.O.
From BD's post:

"Having said that, recently we became aware of physicians offering cellular therapy (PRP and/or stem cells) with prolotherapy, which regrettably means that these physicians are injecting dead cells"

The prolotherapy solution kills the PRP and stem cells.

They should not be given together.

That is beside the point that the effectiveness of none of the three has been established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness