Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 01:27 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,712,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I personally stay away from all pop.
Sorry, maybe I am just in a persnickity mood, however, posts like these drive me crazy. The OP did not post a question saying, "who here likes drinking soda?"...they specifically asked if they were being hurt health-wise by drinking one daily Diet Coke. If someone tends to not like to drink soda, the beautiful thing in free society is that no one is forced to consume virtually anything that they dislike; however, again, that was not the question at hand here in this post. Rather, the question again was if one Diet Come per day was harmful to health, and decades of research and study into the issue clearly and resoundingly shows no harmfulness to the vast majority of the populace from consuming reasonable quantities of diet soda.

In fact, the closest I could come to "warning" against diet soda consumption would be due to its high acidity content, which could harm tooth enamel and/or cause symptoms of indigestion. Diet soda is indeed even more acidic than regular soda. But again, if consuming merely one or two per day, it is highly unlikely that any negative health problems will truly surface.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 05:15 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
https://www.ondietandhealth.com/dent...-than-vinegar/

Let's see.......looks like diet soda's aren't the only beverage that can erode tooth enamel.

I guess no one should have a glass of juice once a day either.

Quote:
The Telegraph reported that 50 per cent of British five-year-olds now have signs of damage to their tooth enamel caused by excess acid in their diet. The combination of acid and sugar (natural or otherwise) in juice drinks meant they should be restricted to a “once a week treat”.

Quote:
Children should be encouraged to drink water afterwards to wash away some of the acid,....

So, if you are on a diet and craving something sweet, enjoy a diet soda instead of a cookie, then swish and drink a mouthful of water afterwards.

BTW.....I have been drinking several diet sodas a day since I was in high school. I am now 64 years old, have all of my teeth and my dentist has never mentioned a problem with my tooth enamel.....maybe I am just blessed with "good" saliva.

Last edited by Annie53; 09-02-2017 at 05:24 PM..

Old 09-03-2017, 12:30 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Why would you want to drink a substance (diet soda) which consists of all chemicals, none of which are healthy in any way?

What is the purpose?

Get iced tea - Lipton Unsweetened iced tea - 3 ounce jar of powder

Old 09-04-2017, 08:13 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Why would you want to drink a substance (diet soda) which consists of all chemicals, none of which are healthy in any way?

What is the purpose?

Get iced tea - Lipton Unsweetened iced tea - 3 ounce jar of powder

The purpose?

Pleasure.

I love the way they taste........powdered ice tea tastes horrible, IMO.

In fact, was never very fond of any kind of tea.

People consume a LOT of things that aren't very good for us just because we like the way they taste.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:56 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,867 times
A diet soda a day adds no calories and no sugar to your daily diet. There are worse food slip ups than diet soda. Sure, one could be perfect and never indulge in artificial sweetners and diet soda, and there are the few that are that disciplined that they eat nothing but whole and pure food choices, but if you are eating healthy and better yet, exercising consistently, I don't see a huge problem with a diet soda. I drink maybe 2 a month.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
https://www.ondietandhealth.com/dent...-than-vinegar/

Let's see.......looks like diet soda's aren't the only beverage that can erode tooth enamel.

I guess no one should have a glass of juice once a day either.
Actually, doctors recommend against drinking juice as well. Not necessarily because of tooth enamel, but because they are chock full of sugar. Yes, fruit has sugar too. But when you eat the entire fruit, you also get a lot of fiber, which slows the absorption of the sugar.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Everything in moderation. Drinking a diet soda every now and then is not going to hurt anyone. Drinking a few everyday is another story.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:16 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Sorry, maybe I am just in a persnickity mood, however, posts like these drive me crazy. The OP did not post a question saying, "who here likes drinking soda?"...they specifically asked if they were being hurt health-wise by drinking one daily Diet Coke. If someone tends to not like to drink soda, the beautiful thing in free society is that no one is forced to consume virtually anything that they dislike; however, again, that was not the question at hand here in this post. Rather, the question again was if one Diet Come per day was harmful to health, and decades of research and study into the issue clearly and resoundingly shows no harmfulness to the vast majority of the populace from consuming reasonable quantities of diet soda.

In fact, the closest I could come to "warning" against diet soda consumption would be due to its high acidity content, which could harm tooth enamel and/or cause symptoms of indigestion. Diet soda is indeed even more acidic than regular soda. But again, if consuming merely one or two per day, it is highly unlikely that any negative health problems will truly surface.

One or two per day is not low consumption - and has been associated with problems ranging from increased stroke incidence to high correlation with metabolic syndrome.

One or two per month is low consumption - that's what you shouldn't be worried about. Daily diet soda consumption ...is nuts.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:40 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
One or two per day is not low consumption - and has been associated with problems ranging from increased stroke incidence to high correlation with metabolic syndrome.

One or two per month is low consumption - that's what you shouldn't be worried about. Daily diet soda consumption ...is nuts.
Not what people want to hear, but true. I am a soda addict myself, but I try not to kid myself about its harmful effects.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Not what people want to hear, but true. I am a soda addict myself, but I try not to kid myself about its harmful effects.
What draws you to diet soda so strongly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness