Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 AM

280 posts, read 308,065 times

Advertisements

I want to eat raw cookie dough. I seriously just want to go to the store, and by some Nestle or off brand dough and eat it right out of the package. I just have a craving for it. However, the salmonella risk makes me pause. I don't understand how the Don't Eat Raw cookie dough warning applies when raw eggs are drunk right out of a glass by some people and they're fine. I heard that despite the warning its okay to eat store brought raw dough because the eggs in it are pasteurized. Is that true? I just want to eat my cookie dough without getting food poisoning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,313,683 times
Read a label on a bottle of Tabasco, or Worcestershire, or soy sauce; Refrigerate after opening, Really? Refrigerate acid/vinegar or liquid sodium. That is lawyer CYA. Most store bought eggs are pasteurized, read the label. As for eating raw cookie dough...bleah.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 AM

876 posts, read 814,130 times
Raw eggs AND raw flour could harbor pathogens.

https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Con.../ucm508450.htm

No one is telling you you can't eat cookie dough, but it's not the best idea ever. Bon Appetit!

Old 08-29-2017, 08:47 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Clean raw eggs are not bad for you. If you don't know where the eggs have been or how they were treated, it is safer to cook them. But if you want to eat them raw, wash the shell before cracking them. There is no bacteria inside a sound egg. The bacteria can possibly be located on the outside of the shell and the egg comes into contact with the outside of the shell when it is cracked.

If you want to eat raw eggs, you can buy pasteurized raw eggs that are safe to eat. Use those and make your own cookie dough or your own mayonnaise.

I eat raw eggs from my own flock because I know how the eggs are handled and I know my flock is healthy. I will also eat raw meat that I have grown and butchered myself because I know exactly how it was handled. The stuff from the store, who knows who might have touched it after not washing their hands, or sneeze on it when they have hepatitis, so that meat gets cooked.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:13 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
I used to eat raw cookie dough all the time when I was a kid. Much preferred it cooked chocolate chip cookies. Still do. I never got sick.

Then again, my favorite way to eat beef was steak tartare (read: raw chop meat). My father used to ear iit on the grill just to make it look cooked, but I flicked off the cooked portion. And I ate raw bacon (which I had to sneak as my mother didn't think that was too healthy - she was probably right.) She used to make me milk shakes and put a raw egg in them to try to get me to eat eggs (cook them, I would refuse them.) Vegetables? With the exception of corn, they had to be raw, too.

Yes, I was a PITA when I was a kid. But I don't EVER remember getting sick from the 'raw food diet.'

Old 08-29-2017, 10:42 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
We used to eat/lick the excess cake batter that was left in the large pot after mixing and pouring into moulds. Full of raw eggs. Never got sick I still do it.

Also, sunny-side up and over-easy eggs aren't really "cooked" either. People eat them all the time, and don't get sick.

I agree with the post above: it's mainly to protect themselves. Much like how refrigerating hot sauce and Worcestershire makes no sense, yet the label instructs you to.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:38 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,255,714 times
Fitness has been a way of my life like forever, but gee wiz, sucking down 80 calories without deriving any of the flavor.

No thanks, I'll have my egg cooked.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:20 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Fitness has been a way of my life like forever, but gee wiz, sucking down 80 calories without deriving any of the flavor.

No thanks, I'll have my egg cooked.
Are there even any real benefits to chugging down raw eggs? Or is it just something meatheads do to look cool? Kind of like those walking around the gym toting around gallon jugs of water?

Old 08-30-2017, 11:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Are there even any real benefits to chugging down raw eggs? Or is it just something meatheads do to look cool? Kind of like those walking around the gym toting around gallon jugs of water?
Honestly, I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing the raw egg thing Rocky-style in forever.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:32 AM

242 posts, read 351,231 times
You do know you can purchase edible cookie dough now, right? I found it in the grocery stores here in Connecticut, so look for it where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness