Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:10 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times

Advertisements

I sleep from 7.5 to 9 hours a night. 8.5 is about optimal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 660,389 times
I get about 6-7 hours of sleep on average, which isn't enough. I always feel like I could have used one more hour, and when I do sleep 8 hours I feel much better during the day. I'm a high anxiety person, fall asleep fast but wake up too early.

Years ago I used to sleep ten hours a day. I had a lot of thyroid issues, and severe depression going on. I ended up losing both ovaries and had a total hysterectomy when I was 33 years old in 2005, and since that time, even with HRT, I don't sleep near as hard or long, even when I have the time and try to make myself. Hormone changes can definitely affect sleep.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:14 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
This is what's wrong with your budget......First off, if you're currently in your 20's $1mil will not be enough to retire on. Second, how do you plan to even get to a million if you're not saving anything? Third, that budget WILL NOT sustain a family, so unless you plan on being single and childless that budget will not work in the future. And if you forgo having a spouse and kids just so you don't have to work then that's odd as well. I can see not wanting to have kids, but what about a spouse? Another person living in the household will in fact raise living costs. Unless it's ok for your spouse to work, but not you?

Anyway, this is NOT the topic of the thread and doesn't need a response. To answer your question....No it's not typical for a person in their 20's to sleep that much, but everyone requires a different amount of sleep.
Did you read my thread? Every angle has been covered including those you bring up.

I have a passive income of ~$20k/year and live on less than $10k. Therefore, I'm saving/reinvesting at least $10k/year. My nest egg grows yet my expenses stay pretty static (in fact most have went down over the last 2-3 years). Think about it - how many Americans (100 million?) working and making $30-50k have $10k left over after the rent/mortgage, student loans, car payment, credit cards, etc are all paid? Are they all on a collision course for bankruptcy? If so, our economy is a ticking time bomb.

What is this talk about "sustaining" a family? A child does not add that much to one's expenses - ESPECIALLY with two parents having an income, one being able to stay home, no debt and home paid off. Sure, my $20k may not be too fun with two kids, rent to pay, and a wife that won't work, but I've never wanted to be in that situation.

BTW - my GF has lived with me for years and the added expense for the water/electricity she uses is negligible.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:34 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
I'm a biphasic sleeper. I always have been, although I used to think I had insomnia.

I sleep about 4 hours, then I get up. That's usually at 3 AM. I am awake and reading or doing dishes, or cleaning the house or watching a movie until about 5AM. Then I go back to bed.
At 7:30 I am awake and ready to go.

I'm retired, so I usually take a 15 minute nap at around 3PM.

Learning about biphasic sleep patterns made a huge difference with me. I used to struggle and try to go back to sleep and so forth.
The theory is, human sleep cycles vary so much so that in a group of humans someone is always awake. It works like that with nearly all primates.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:23 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't really have AM/PM. I just sleep whenever I want, but I have prefered staying awake at night since I was a kid. I find things to do, but I don't have a job. I work out a lot and I'm extremely fit so I don't think there's a physical health issue.
Doesn't sound like you have a normal sleep schedule. Go to bed the same time every night. Get up the same time every day. Be active. Have you ever discussed this with a doctor?

Old 09-09-2017, 07:28 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
9-10 hours is ideal, even up to 11 or 12 hours when I'm really exhausted. Unfortunately I only get about 6-8 hours weeknights. The worst part of the day is trying to get out of bed a good 2-3 hours earlier than I want to.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times
Quote:
Did you read my thread? Every angle has been covered including those you bring up.

I have a passive income of ~$20k/year and live on less than $10k. Therefore, I'm saving/reinvesting at least $10k/year. My nest egg grows yet my expenses stay pretty static (in fact most have went down over the last 2-3 years). Think about it - how many Americans (100 million?) working and making $30-50k have $10k left over after the rent/mortgage, student loans, car payment, credit cards, etc are all paid? Are they all on a collision course for bankruptcy? If so, our economy is a ticking time bomb.

What is this talk about "sustaining" a family? A child does not add that much to one's expenses - ESPECIALLY with two parents having an income, one being able to stay home, no debt and home paid off. Sure, my $20k may not be too fun with two kids, rent to pay, and a wife that won't work, but I've never wanted to be in that situation.

BTW - my GF has lived with me for years and the added expense for the water/electricity she uses is negligible.
You're delusional if you think you can raise a kid on $20k a year! Best of luck though!

Old 09-09-2017, 02:30 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
You're delusional if you think you can raise a kid on $20k a year! Best of luck though!
Living in the rural south, I know plenty of couples that have raised 1-3 children on a combined income of $40k or less. It's actually quite common. With a stay at home parent it can be done on much less. About your only added expenses are what the child eats (formula/breast milk) and diapers (buy in bulk). Clothing for small children can bought second hand for pennies on the dollar.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:36 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Living in the rural south, I know plenty of couples that have raised 1-3 children on a combined income of $40k or less. It's actually quite common. With a stay at home parent it can be done on much less. About your only added expenses are what the child eats (formula/breast milk) and diapers (buy in bulk). Clothing for small children can bought second hand for pennies on the dollar.
The problem - if I can use that term - is children grow. Boys have their expenses; girls have theirs.

I grew up in the rural South and grew up very poorly. I would not want to repeat the experience. You would not believe what was said to me about my inadequate clothing.
Don't do that to a child simply because it means you can stay in bed and not work.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I read that if you need an alarm to wake up, you haven't gotten enough sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness