Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:30 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I can't believe no one mentioned a simple cure for magesium: eat spinach every day. It's best steamed. Or you can blend it in a green smoothie. The natural way instead of a pill. I like my spinach oatmeal combination every morning. plus when you have a cramp, as painful as it is at the time, quickly sit up and put both feet on the floor. It dissipates like magic. Plus like everyone said, drink plenty of fresh water.
Pumpkin Seeds are one of the foods with the most magnesium, way more than spinach. I buy shelled pumpkin seeds, roasted and salted in bulk by the pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Bingo! Only left out the word electrolytes, to educate...
Btw, many people either don't take enough magnesium in their pills or take a solid pill...rather than
powder or a capsule. So they will say, ''it isn't working''.
Magnesium is SO hard to absorb, thus...you will find bottles that will say, "Easily Absorbed''.
Little people I say try 500mg at night on an empty stomach only.
Heavier or over 5'8'' I say try 1000 mg for 3 nights...never had any failures with probably a dozen people over the years.
If you get some loose bowels or intestinal cramping take less, that's all it means.
As a nation we are so Mineral Deficient.

Also, notice if the cramping happens more after alcohol and coffee or black tea....caffeine and alcohol suck
the magnesium out of your tissues like nothing else...oh and
presc medications, too....haha, or street drugs.
(And that is why first thing when you go to an Addiction Clinic/Rehab they give you mega doses of magnesium.)

Last night i took a capsule of a Mutli Mineral supplement because I've been drinking a bit too much coffee...
I woke up like I was in my 20s....I get social sec now, hahaha.

VERY smart people here...gave reps to more posts than any other thread ever!
Ionic magnesium is supposed to be the most easily abdorbed. I haven't tried it yet but I've read good things about it.

Quote:
Superior Formulation for Higher Absorption
Ionic minerals are comprised of atoms or collections of atoms that possess an electric charge, either positive or negative.

This electrical charge allows for the ionic minerals to flow from an area of higher concentration, such as the intestines, to an area of lesser concentration and into the cells of the body. Because ionic minerals are charged, the body is able to use less energy in order to move and absorb the particles.

This allows the minerals to be absorbed with a greater efficacy, while fully utilizing the mineral.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:26 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I live in Maine, and it occurs year-round.

I think the dehydration may be the issue -- I'm not a big water drinker. I like to think that coffee is made with water, so I'm doing well,
Now I understand. Drink more water and less coffee. Coffee is a diuretic. Make a conscious effort to drink more water during the day. Your actions are exactly the opposite of what you should be doing.

Drinking water is also better for your kidneys. It will dilute any calcium or uric acid build up in your system. I can't speak for calcium but I now take allopurinal to reduce uric acid. In me uric acid has caused gout, bladder stones and kidney stones. They compare kidney stone pain to that of giving birth.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I know it's painful. Sometimes I stretch in my sleep and my calves cramp. OOOOOOUCH!!! There have been times when I managed to relax (hoping they'd uncramp) and go back to sleep. I sometimes have bruised muscles for days afterwards.

My feet cramp, too, but usually swimming or doing something like putting on flip flops/socks/something.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:42 PM

47 posts, read 48,962 times
I have been getting these for YEARS after a day of tough exercize like tennis or golf or over 10000 steps....I also take meds for high blood pressure but I think the real culprit could be PRAVASTATIN. I have heard that people who take cholesterol drugs like PRAVASTATIN commonly suffer from leg and foot cramps at night. I know that I do. Anyone else?

Old 10-08-2017, 12:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,939,806 times
Magnesium supplement.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:28 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
I would wonder why, if the cause is a lack of minerals like magnesium or potassium, that the cramps would only happen at night? I'm sure there is some explanation.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
My dad and my aunt buy that spray. That works for them.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:15 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I would wonder why, if the cause is a lack of minerals like magnesium or potassium, that the cramps would only happen at night? I'm sure there is some explanation.
When I get a toe cramp and I do now and then, it's at night when going to sleep. Could be about the circulation and we are laying down. I deal with arthritic feet/toes.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
My Mom swears by the tonic water with quinine. My BF gets them to and tried it and said they stopped right away. Have also heard you can get relief from prepared mustard as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness