Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
What's to talk about? Many of these folks who waiver back and forth have mental issues.

If someone REALLY feels they're not the sex they were born into, they do the deed, and are done...they are now another sex.....some of these folks need therapy...not surgery.
This.

And I want to emphasize the word "some", not all. Nothing wrong with what they want to do with their bodies (and have every right to do it), but for something so extreme as a sex change, IMO, a true pcychosis breakdown and cause needs to occur for the sake of their mental health.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:37 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Thankfully you don't get to decide what is best for anyone, least of all the people with gender dysphoria. What I can't figure out is why you are so hell bent on trying to tell other people how to live their lives.

It sounds like what you need to have the serenity to accept (which is also something you can't change) is that people who have gender dysphoria often have the courage to change the things they can and the wisdom to know what they can't. And none of it has anything to do with you or your opinion of them or what they choose.

Telling someone how to live their life, and suggesting in general terms the best way to live life, are 2 very different things. The philosophy on the proper approach to living a good life is the subject of almost every book, movie, and song ever written, shown, or sung. And many if not most of all posts on City-Data.

All posts are opinions. The readers may embrace or discard any opinion based on their own analysis and reasoning.

I am offering the opinion that the best approach to life is to be reality-based. Certain things can be changed and certain things cannot. "I wish I were stronger". Doable. "I wish I were smarter". Doable. I wish I had more money and lived in Colorado". Doable. "I wish I were a horse". Absurd. Not doable. And if you are a man? "I wish I were a woman". Absurd. It can't be done. Even if the surgeries and cosmetics are perfect and you can fool everyone in public all the time. You're still a man, the way you were born and the way you will die. Bruce Jenner was born a man, is a man, will always be a man, and the casket in which he is buried will contain the body of a man, regardless of how the undertaker dresses him.

So, I recommend, not mandate, recommend, that someone with this mental condition overcome it by selecting other things to think about and accepting the basic reality of their chromosomal construction. Be good at something, be valuable to others, make money, play the saxophone, surf waves, create art, whatever it might be. But to waste time, money, and effort counterfeiting your gender to become a weak imitation of something you can never be? I don't recommend that. It cannot bring happiness or accomplishment and is simply a waste of time.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:38 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Three-year-olds are not having surgery.
Duh. But they are put on the road to having their parts lopped off at 18. It's a disgrace.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:43 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Duh. But they are put on the road to having their parts lopped off at 18. It's a disgrace.
And I think a lot of that has to do with the parent's "mental health"...smh

Old 10-16-2017, 06:18 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
I think there is a percentage of population that has a specific personality trait to follow through, jump in, worry about consequences later, etc. They get tattoo's, they get married 5 times, they start businesses, get too much plastic suger, they do all sorts of "normal" things in circumstances that most people give lots of consideration to but they just jump in. The first in the pool.

Then they drop that and move on to something else. Get their tattoo's removed, get their genders reversed apparently, try to get their plastic surgery fixed. I'm still not sure how much reversal thing is really been happening? Most Dr.s have pretty extensive phsychological hurdles to jump before surgery and its certainly expensive. That has to limit the number of people who are on I'm so suggestible wagon.

But if you aren't outraged by all the other things that people of this profile do and then try to reverse I'm not sure why the outrage here unless you are paying for it somehow. None of your business.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:22 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Telling someone how to live their life, and suggesting in general terms the best way to live life, are 2 very different things. The philosophy on the proper approach to living a good life is the subject of almost every book, movie, and song ever written, shown, or sung. And many if not most of all posts on City-Data.

All posts are opinions. The readers may embrace or discard any opinion based on their own analysis and reasoning.

I am offering the opinion that the best approach to life is to be reality-based. Certain things can be changed and certain things cannot. "I wish I were stronger". Doable. "I wish I were smarter". Doable. I wish I had more money and lived in Colorado". Doable. "I wish I were a horse". Absurd. Not doable. And if you are a man? "I wish I were a woman". Absurd. It can't be done. Even if the surgeries and cosmetics are perfect and you can fool everyone in public all the time. You're still a man, the way you were born and the way you will die. Bruce Jenner was born a man, is a man, will always be a man, and the casket in which he is buried will contain the body of a man, regardless of how the undertaker dresses him.

So, I recommend, not mandate, recommend, that someone with this mental condition overcome it by selecting other things to think about and accepting the basic reality of their chromosomal construction. Be good at something, be valuable to others, make money, play the saxophone, surf waves, create art, whatever it might be. But to waste time, money, and effort counterfeiting your gender to become a weak imitation of something you can never be? I don't recommend that. It cannot bring happiness or accomplishment and is simply a waste of time.
I'm often reminded that the people who are the most vocal against something are often struggling with that very thing themselves.

Whatever is going on in your life - I hope you find peace and happiness.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:56 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I feel horrible for what geekigurl experienced on this thread, but is does demonstrate what transgender people have to go through.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-16-2017, 03:00 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I feel horrible for what geekigurl experienced on this thread, but it does demonstrate what transgender people have to go through.
Yes, it does.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:02 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
I'm often reminded that the people who are the most vocal against something are often struggling with that very thing themselves.
Fallacy. 100% untrue.

But this statement is often used by those who could not formulate a logical response.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:03 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I feel horrible for what geekigurl experienced on this thread, but is does demonstrate what transgender people have to go through.
The poster is being treated like every other C-D poster. It's forum where posters can post freely.

Do you feel sorry for all C-D posters that people don't agree with or just this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness