Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 03:39 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

When Larry Brush was laid off from a job in finance two months ago, it marked his third layoff in eight years.

"I wasn't really shocked because the market was dead, but it hurts," Brush said. "It doesn't make you feel better."

Recession Prompts Gender Role Reversal - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 11:05 AM

370 posts, read 1,016,352 times
A MALE NURSE??! HAHAHAHA WHAT IS THE WORLD COMING TO?!

Quote:
"The traditional role is the woman would stay at home and the man goes out and makes the living and it's his income that supports the family,
What is this, the 1940s?

I dont think this is gender reversal, it only is if you still categorize men and women into categories as "playing house" and "playing sports" etc.. Male nurses are so common now, it's not a big deal at all.

Even the commenters on that page know this whole article is ridiculous.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 9,828 times
In 1960s Vietnam, U.S. fighter pilots vs Mig 15 pilots AND ALSO In 1950s Korea U.S. pilots vs Mig 17 pilots - Our U.S. pilots - successfully based their tactics on the idea that Asian Mig pilots, were often good but would not break formation upon retreat creating a "fish in the barrel" easy shoot situation. At times U.S. pilots would shoot down 5 or 6 retreating Migs who would have done well to break formation. My point is that, experience taught U.S. pilots, there was something cultural about the Asian military mindset where blindly following orders with little creative initiative made them less effective in battle. My question is " Should the U.S. fighter pilots be charged with using race and culture bias during dogfights?

Am I a sardonic racist making a bigoted point or does accusing me create an opportunity to simply not answer the question? Should we navigate our lives and professions trying to discover "What is true" or "What is allowed to be true" as we make decisions to: elect, hire, fire, sue, indict etc. based on situational merit OR more conveniently follow popular notions of our current social contract? As the west finds itself loosing ground in terms of: crime, education, industry or even the arts, we find ourselves scrambling for answers to questions we sense we are not allowed to ask.

I believe when placed in a position of trust e.g. a civil servant with an opportunity to use power of position to get a bidding private construction contractor to repave a driveway at home - a woman or an Asian civil servant is less likely to be corrupt than a white or black male. If it is true, the reason may be a greater sense of duty, morality or just less likely to take risk but either way it is better to have a woman or an Asian in position. I don't care what the reason is but I would give a second look at women and Asians of either gender. I don't want to apologize for my decision and I will trust my bias to hire. As a passenger in a Boeing 747 knowingly flying into a storm that likely includes sudden wind sheer, I would prefer a white male Texan at the controls. If I am trapped on the fifth floor of a burning building, I would rather see a two fisted illiterate Irishman rather than a more highly qualified brunette coming up the ladder for me. Let's assume you are tired of vandalism and petty crime including domestic battery and drug dealing in your neighborhood. You want to move and there are only two homes in your price range available. The first, like your current address is surrounded by a random smattering of all sorts of folks. The other neighborhood is almost exclusively recent Japanese immigrants. Which decision is less likely to result with you re-experiencing your current problems?
If you accept my point, I want to ask questions like - What does, a culture fearing common sense in the presence of bias accusation cost each one of us? Where is the center of the problem? The answer is courage to answer another question. Was it good when American blacks or aboriginals insisted on equality or women demanded the same? Yes! Was it good when women demanded and won equal consideration for opportunities for education and employment? Yes! Should policies of "ends justifies the means" bias be used to "balance" opportunity or prejudicial weight be added to ensure success? Absolutely not! Why is it that those who once demanded equality soon lobby for policies of inequality. What we end up with is a society once again stuggling with race and gender fascism often resulting in a less effective society. Should a woman be considered as equal to be hired as a fire fighter or police officer? Of course! But jsut equal. I've noticed that we still have 6'3" guys kicking in doors and filling the ranks of SWAT teams while it seems more likely that brunettes tour grade school classrooms or show up on the news in front of media microphones. As we compete with other societies, do we still have the excess wealth we once had to afford our new bias and still complete with the rest of the world.
So I am asking each one of us to review an important question on a daily bases. Should I persue answers to "What is true?" or "What is allowed to be true?"

Old 05-14-2009, 07:23 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,589 times
this is the 21st century folks, a world full of successful women at the workplace, black presidents, and stay-at-home dads. Get over it

Old 05-28-2009, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 9,828 times
Default Race and gender issues

I got over it long ago. I believe exsessive social engineering has weakened our ability to respond to a history filled with military aggression. I welcomed equality but we ended up with just more gender and race fascism hidden in affirmantive politics. I will not recommend my sons ever offer themselves as cannon fodder for a society that took opportunity from them and called it equality. Let those who gained from social engineering offer themselves in the trenches of the future. The barbarians are at the doors. You deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting