Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A J.Crew ad that shows a top designer painting her young son’s toenails neon pink has some parents and doctors seeing red.

The image appeared in a feature called "Saturday With Jenna," which was emailed to customers last week and highlights a few of J.Crew president and creative director Jenna Lyons’ favorite products -- including the hot pink Essie nail polish seen on her son, Beckett.

Read more: J.Crew Ad Showing Boy With Pink Nail Polish Sparks Debate on Gender Identity - FoxNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 08:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
do people have nothing better to discuss?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
What have we become?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

841 posts, read 4,840,288 times
Both of my boys, throughout their young lives, have asked me to paint their toe nails. It's truly no huge deal. It still amazes me that there are still 'gender police' in our midst.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
“Blatant propaganda celebrating transgendered children” ?!? Talk about looking for problems that don't exist. I don't plan on painting my son's nails anytime soon, pink or no pink, but since when did wearing pink automatically mean "transgendered"?!? It's just a color, people. A color that's been massively over-hyped. I do my best now to avoid buying pink clothes for all the new baby girls that my friends are having, as it is SO frustrating that so many people today think that girls can ONLY wear pink. (and, apparently, that a boy who puts on some pink polish is suddenly transgendered?). Pink is perfectly fine color, but I resent that it's now seen in such a limited way. And in any case, I think raising a son who is comfortable with who he is, and isn't living in fear of somehow not looking masculine, has got to be far healthier than raising a kid who thinks that his entire gender identity is dependent on something as superficial as a color.

It does kind of irk me that this kid has been thrown into the middle of this, though. It seems like a publicity stunt, and while I think he should be able to play around with the pink polish as much as any girl, I don't know if it's fair to throw a kid into what is a ridiculous debate among adults who should know better.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:48 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times
Pink is a very manly colour in Korea and parts of India.
I have no problem with the ad- I don't think it is celebrating transgeneredness (the boy is wearing very masculine clothes), it is celebrating the closeness of a mom and son. He is young, and young kids like painting- on paper, themselves, the walls...

Old 04-13-2011, 03:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I wish people would spend this much time and effort on real problems.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:29 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
“Blatant propaganda celebrating transgendered children” ?!? Talk about looking for problems that don't exist. I don't plan on painting my son's nails anytime soon, pink or no pink, but since when did wearing pink automatically mean "transgendered"?!? It's just a color, people. A color that's been massively over-hyped. I do my best now to avoid buying pink clothes for all the new baby girls that my friends are having, as it is SO frustrating that so many people today think that girls can ONLY wear pink. (and, apparently, that a boy who puts on some pink polish is suddenly transgendered?). Pink is perfectly fine color, but I resent that it's now seen in such a limited way. And in any case, I think raising a son who is comfortable with who he is, and isn't living in fear of somehow not looking masculine, has got to be far healthier than raising a kid who thinks that his entire gender identity is dependent on something as superficial as a color.

It does kind of irk me that this kid has been thrown into the middle of this, though. It seems like a publicity stunt, and while I think he should be able to play around with the pink polish as much as any girl, I don't know if it's fair to throw a kid into what is a ridiculous debate among adults who should know better.
Thanks for doing that. I actually asked people if they wouldn't mind not buying all pink things for my daughter when she was a newborn. I don't mind pink per se, but I don't see why little girls have to have everything in that color.

I know a lot of people are going to disagree, but to me it feels like we're sticking them in some kind of box as soon as they come into the world. I'm not sure why we have to do that. Anyway, it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

As far as the pink toenails go, I know enough men who are not gay and wear toenail and or fingernail polish that it isn't really an issue for me.

Parents cannot control the gayness level of their child no matter what they do, including demanding they wear a tiara around the house. If your kid isn't gay, it ain't gonna happen.

There have been kids whose gender is uncertain when they're born, and the parents choose to raise them either one or the other. The kid's true wiring always seems to win out in the end, no matter what lengths the parent goes to to pick a gender. So I doubt that a little pink nail polish is going to have much influence over biology.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,676,402 times
i wouldnt personally paint my sons toenail (pink! lol) but seriously? this is newsworthy? who really cares?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 AM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times
I don't understand why people have to make a mountain out of a molehill. So what, he likes his toenails painted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting