Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 03:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

Left leg both bones and right leg closer to the ankle. August 6th only days before we were scheduled to move into a newly built home. I basically turned my ankle on a less than 2" weather lip which was built to keep rainwater from running from the driveway into the garage. (Doesn't matter that the house and garage are on a slight incline and water would NEVER run into the garage and it is a brand new 55+ neighborhood!)

I had surgery to insert a rod down my left tibia and lots of plates and screws. For some reason nothing was done to the fibula even though it was broken as well. (compound fractures). Plates and screws and lots of hardware in right ankle.
10 days in hospital where I had surgery and then 2.5 months in rehab hospital where most of the time I was stuck in bed, first with casts and then with horrible , heavy black boots. Lots of pain ("here, have some more oxycodone"), bedpan, bed "baths", misery and a few pity parties. Finally got some success with transferring to toilet, wheelchair but always had to get somebody to put the boots on me first.
By the time I was discharged I could transfer to the car and wheelchair and toilet by myself but still needed help with the boots.

Home health care was a godsend. PT whipped me into shape to where I could walk behind my walker (but still in boots) and now I am walking behind my walker up and down my main hall but WITHOUT the boots as of last week. Still can't walk with walker by myself so husband has to be standing by with wheelchair and I still have gait belt.

OT helped me figure out how to semi navigate in my new kitchen and she had many suggestions for more independent living.

The aide was and is the treasure in this scenario. I am unable to take a shower by myself as I have been instructed not to go barefoot anywhere. She wheels the wheelchair in and out of the shower and dries my feet so I can get into my shoes.(We decided to have the shower built to universal standards "just in case" and I'm so glad we did.)

For the life of me I cannot figure out how to shower by myself. DH does not want the responsibility for helping me in the shower as he has some knee and back and elbow issues and if we both go down it would be a disaster. The OT suggested watching me take a shower so she can come up with suggestions. I told her a dry run would be just fine and we did that but she insists on a real shower. with the aide. I refused and told her to leave me a bit of dignity after everything I have been through. I do not want to get naked in front of anybody else at this point. She is in her 30s and I am 72. She then said she would stay behind the door while the aide and I did the shower routine. WTF??? Even if we have an ongoing dialogue along the way, how can she make suggestions without watching?

I am about to time out of Medicare and I lose the aide when the OT discharges me. The aide said she could take me as a private patient and would be happy to help as long as I need her. $20 per session 3 times a week. I think that is the way I will go. I am getting stronger every day and hope to figure this out by myself soon.

I am diabetic and slow to heal but apparently, I have done very well. Doc said it will be a full year before I can walk independently and with comfort. I wouldn't wish two broken legs on my worst enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 03:43 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
What a nightmare. So sorry you had this horrible fall. Do a lot of wipes and don't worry about the showers so much. I keep a constant supply of good wipes. Sponge baths and wipes are Safe. Americans are very obsessed with showers+

I did my time with my recent knee saga so I know hospitals and rehabs. There are many stories of those falling in showers or being dropped in rehabs. BE VERY CAREFUL.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-19-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 03:48 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Try a tub transfer bench. You can sit on it, & use your butt to scoot over into the water flow. This works best for baths with a shower attachment.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tub+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by evening sun; 11-19-2017 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 03:59 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Try a tub transfer bench. You can sit on it, & use your butt to scoot over into the water flow. This works best ofr bathst with a shower attachment.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tub+...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Agree....not a horribly expensive thing to try at least. I hope you are better soon OP!

Old 11-19-2017, 04:08 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Agree....not a horribly expensive thing to try at least. I hope you are better soon OP!

ask your social worker if they can get one for you, or sometimes senior centers have them to loan out. I had one after my stroke, & I was unable to lift both legs over the tub wall, it was a lifesaver, I will always remember the great feeling of Independence I had when I took a shower all by myself!! Speedy healing to you.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
A shower transfer bench is a great idea, but I don't think you want to borrow one. People have had their bare behinds on them, and I know from experience it's very difficult to clean them. (I was my husband's caregiver for the last five years of his life, and a transfer bench was a godsend.)

They're not expensive anyway; you can get them at Home Depot.

Best of luck! I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:14 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
That sure is a rough situation NK. I am sorry you are going through it. I agree with evening sun about the transfer bench. I would also get some grab bars for balance.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MHI-Safe-...&wl13=&veh=sem

Those helped my mom and we could move them as necessary.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:15 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Put on a bathing suit? Or where your some clothes and just get them wet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-19-2017, 04:28 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
She has a roll in shower for wheelchairs...she had that modified yrs ago, she said.

OT's job is modifications.

Yes wear your underwear in shower if need be but let her help you...I know you want to be as independent as possible as soon as possible.

Sorry you've had such a time...feel better soon, OP

Old 11-19-2017, 05:16 PM

282 posts, read 232,982 times
There are walker/stool combinations that can be rolled into the shower. You walk into the shower with the walker, then tilt the seat down. Once you are seated, the weight from your body prevents the stool from rolling around and you can shower while seated.

You can get them at any medical supply pharmacy, they're not expensive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness