Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:48 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

The catch with this whole discussion is that plenty of doctors know zippo about nutrition and food intolerances and so forth. The simple answer to the OP is that if soy messes up the eater's metabolism, it's best avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 02:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The catch with this whole discussion is that plenty of doctors know zippo about nutrition and food intolerances and so forth. The simple answer to the OP is that if soy messes up the eater's metabolism, it's best avoided.
That is so much truth...I did NOT get my info from an MD but a chiro with muscle testing and vial of soy antigen.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Being allergic is far different than thinking (falsely) that soy messes with your metabolism. You (mis)read enough studies and you'll talk yourself out of eating ANYTHING.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
It does sound like an intolerance to soy. I would start reading food labels and avoid anything with soy. Some people with an intolerance are ok with eating things that contain soy lecithin and soybean oil (in almost everything) but avoiding everything else (soy protein, soy milk, soy sauce, tofu, edamame, etc.). I also have a soy intolerance and found out after I had eliminated it from my diet that it had seriously been messing with my hormones in addition to the intolerance symptoms. Good riddance to it.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:01 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
There are so many opinions and tests etc etc on everything TODAY. I know what I experienced with soymilk when it came into existence. Weston Price does a lot of work in the soy world.

Here is another link with pros and cons.

https://www.endocrineweb.com/news/th...-much-too-much
Again, READ the article..

She found no link between the soy intake of men and their thyroid health. And she stresses that she found only a link in women, but cannot prove cause and effect. "Our study is observational," she says. And women do have a higher risk of developing thyroid problems than men, especially as they age.

Most other studies have not shown an association of soy protein intake and abnormal thyroid tests," she says. The study also has limitations, Dr. Lee says. For instance, there is no information on which women may have been taking soy for hot flashes during menopause. "The older you are, the higher your TSH tends to be, and the more likely you have hot flashes," she says. So those eating the most soy may have had high TSH levels to begin with, she says.

Her bottom line? Most who are eating a normal healthy diet with soy and soy protein should not worry about their thyroid function.

Pros and cons.....I would say mainly CONS in regards to your hypothesis that soy "attacks" the Thyroid...

As for Weston Price Foundation...they don't "do a lot of work in the soy world" whatever that is supposed to mean, they do promote dangerous and unproven nonsense, fake news...

They promote a range of irresponsible and potentially dangerous ideas, including:

Butter and butter oil are our "super foods" which contain the "X factor", discovered by Weston Price.
Glandular Organ Extracts - to promote health and healing of the corresponding organ.
Poached brains of animals should be added to other ground meats for better nutrition
Raw cows milk and meat broth should be fed to newborns who don't breast feed, rather than infant formula.
Regular ingestion of clay (Azolimite Mineral Powder) because the clay particles remove pathogens from the body.
There are benefits of feeding sea salt to infants and babies
Fruits and vegetables should be limited in children's diets.
The Truth About the Weston Price Foundation - Vegsource.com

Old 11-27-2017, 06:53 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Sounds like you have a lot of problems when you eat soy.

For me, that would be enough to avoid soy, not matter what an allergy-test revealed. You can test negative on a food allergy-test.....and still have problems with the food in question.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
First thing I thought of when I read the symptoms was a monosodium glutamate (MSG) reaction. You might want to look into that, too - see if the foods with soy in them might also be loaded with MSG.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:11 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Being allergic is far different than thinking (falsely) that soy messes with your metabolism. You (mis)read enough studies and you'll talk yourself out of eating ANYTHING.
Well, my primary care MD, my endocrinologist, and a gastroenterologist all told me that soy can affect your metabolism and thyroid function and to avoid it. They are all traditional MDs.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:43 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,696,101 times
If your soy product is not organic, it is most certainly GMO which can cause all kinds of intestinal issues. That's why GMO products MUST be labeled.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
OP, you are lucky that you have figured out what food is not agreeing with you. Just avoid it.

You really don't need a test or a label for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness