Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 AM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,280 times

Advertisements

I have been able to treat my symptoms of allergic or non-allergic rhinitis for a few years now by finding a doctor who said to simply stay on flonase which I have for several years.

I don't really find myself getting sick at all actually.

Unfortunately, my problem is the winter. The humidity is usually below 10% all winter although everyone insists it's a swamp here.

If I go outside during any dry or cold temperatures during the winter for a short period of time I get a headache, my nose runs and then stuffs, my face turns red below my eyes and my skin chaps then peels. My upper lip and lower lips will split at my mouth on both sides.

Flonase use soon becomes impossible due to bloody nose which will be followed by a series of sinus infections that take weeks or months to get rid of.

I use the saline nasal spray when I am out there but it doesn't really seem to help. I have also used the Neil-Med sinus rinse which doesn't seem to help either.

I control humidity INSIDE the house with a whole house humidifier.

I must be outside for much of the winter and this situation makes it tough.

Relocation is not a real option.

I'd like to do something proactive for this if possible. Is there anything that I can do? From time to time I see people with masks on their face (not surgical types but still covering their noses) walking around during the winter. I wasn't sure if they also suffered the same situation.

I also wonder why this doesn't happen to most people.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by va_lucky; 11-11-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 08:37 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Have you tried wearing a scarf over your nose and mouth....or a face mask to keep the rush of cold air out of your nostrils?

Maybe Vaseline inside your nostrils would help?

Here are a few links with information that may help.

http://www.top10homeremedies.com/hom...-rhinitis.html

http://www.naturopathic.org/content.asp?contentid=117

https://www.holisticprimarycare.net/...e-tissues.html

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Have you tried wearing a scarf over your nose and mouth....or a face mask to keep the rush of cold air out of your nostrils?
Oh no, I didn't expect a response this quick. Let me fix. Side note, I wasn't sure what that was for! I'll return in a second! Thanks!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

Maybe Vaseline inside your nostrils would help?
Lol, all fixed. No I haven't tried the scarf or face mask. Yeah that was what I was wondering about. Forgive my ignorance (you may even find it funny). I thought that a scarf was exclusively for people with cold necks or some fashion thing.

EDIT: Thanks for the links. Reviewing now.

Are there masks dedicated to this sort of thing e.g. like what should I google to find one?

The Vaseline thing. I didn't know that could be used inside the nostrils. Really?

Thank you.

Old 11-11-2017, 03:19 PM

1,625 posts, read 1,356,056 times
I get stuffed up in the winter from the cold and the dry indoor air. At night I get so stuffed up that I wake up gasping for air. The only way I can sleep is if I use Xlear nasal spray. It contains xylitol which acts as a moisturizer for the sinuses. I get it on iHerb or Amazon, but I've also seen it at Target.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
I get stuffed up in the winter from the cold and the dry indoor air. At night I get so stuffed up that I wake up gasping for air. The only way I can sleep is if I use Xlear nasal spray. It contains xylitol which acts as a moisturizer for the sinuses. I get it on iHerb or Amazon, but I've also seen it at Target.
Definitely going to try this. Thank you.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:59 PM

What about the outdoor face masks??

I tried a light coating of vaseline in my nostrils and WHOA what a difference! Like night and day. I did read it can cause lung problems if used long term which concerns me. Any more ideas about the vaseline?

Seems like very few of us have this problem.

Old 11-12-2017, 02:22 AM

6,148 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Lots of us have this problem, just not to the extent that you describe. I'd be sparing with the vaseline because it can also harbor bacteria and is hard to clear out of your sinuses. If you get to your doctor or an ENT, they might have something better suited that still gives that protection you need. Imagine saline spray in gel form. Maybe ask at the pharmacy if something like that exists.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
Lots of us have this problem, just not to the extent that you describe. I'd be sparing with the vaseline because it can also harbor bacteria and is hard to clear out of your sinuses. If you get to your doctor or an ENT, they might have something better suited that still gives that protection you need. Imagine saline spray in gel form. Maybe ask at the pharmacy if something like that exists.
I like this. I do think that there are OTC things like this actually. I am going to look closer at them.

Appreciate it.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:59 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
okay the masks are something I can relate to and talk about . I use the cloth ones on top of the paper ones sometimes but not always I purchased three cloth masks last year right before winter and they have been a God send . I used to get sores inside my nose and I apologize for that gross factor and ever since using the cloth mask I don't have sores or bad nose anything . I suggest looking on amazon because everyone else wanted big prices for little items . Good luck to you and God bless you dear I know the aggravation .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness