Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 02:45 PM

371 posts, read 366,282 times

Advertisements

My brother is an alcoholic and Xanax addict. He mixes the two everyday. He has been on Xanax for over 20 years. he can take up to 5 or more mg a day of Xanax. He has gone off it and ended up with seizures and being tied down the the hospital in the past. Again he is back on Xanax, even after we told this doctor he is addicted and abuses the drug. He is homeless living in a tent in a ditch. He sleeps most the time and only panhandles when he needs money for booze. He is known as the pill popper at this strip mall where he hangs out. How is it legal for a doctor to prescribe these meds to someone who abuses the drug?? I tried to get 1 xanax for a root canal and denied yet my brother gets an endless rx from the same practice. Someone please help me understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 04:21 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Have you reported the practice? BTW, there are much better options for your root canal pain that won't be hard to get. Your dentist didn't explain them?

Old 12-15-2017, 04:29 PM

777 posts, read 1,873,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
...better options for your root canal pain that won't be hard to get.
More likely the OP requested Xanax for dental procedure anxiety and not pain relief.

Old 12-15-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
More likely the OP requested Xanax for dental procedure anxiety and not pain relief.

I did. I didn't want the Halcion or IV sedation OR the laughing gas. I just wanted to be a little relaxed.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:59 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
I did. I didn't want the Halcion or IV sedation OR the laughing gas. I just wanted to be a little relaxed.
Ah, sorry I misunderstood. Again, if your dentist already explained the options and you didn't want any of them, what else can they do? What's so special about Xanax? What about herbal remedies for relaxation? You could try them ahead of time to see if they work.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Ah, sorry I misunderstood. Again, if your dentist already explained the options and you didn't want any of them, what else can they do? What's so special about Xanax? What about herbal remedies for relaxation? You could try them ahead of time to see if they work.
How about no. I don't know if you ever had a complicated root canal or not. But I do not like herbal remedies for anything much less for a surgery. By the way in case you missed the point of this thread it's not about me.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:29 PM

19,137 posts, read 25,345,191 times
Possible addiction to Xanax is actually the least of this guy's problem, in view of multiple studies that have linked long-term use of Xanax, Valium, and Ativan (all chemically-related) to an increased risk of Dementia and/or Alzheimer's Disease:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...e-201409107397

Old 12-17-2017, 09:07 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
Quote:
What's so special about Xanax? What about herbal remedies for relaxation? You could try them ahead of time to see if they work.
Xanax works, that is what's special. They had to give me the laughing gas on top of the xanax for a root canal because that's how bad my anxiety is. Nothing worked previously.

Anyway, no good doctor will stop the xanax cold turkey, it's very dangerous to do. They can quit giving it to him but he will a) end up having seizures or b) buy it off the streets and possibly die when it's laced with something else. His doctor could start writing him a smaller script to force the taper, but that will only work if he doesn't get it somewhere else. The best way I see him safely coming off it is by being admitted and doctors tapering him down while monitoring him.

I'm surprised he can even get a script for that high of an amount so often as they are strict with that drug. Why was he given xanax to begin with? My boss has been on it 17 years because he went to the doctor for not being able to sleep and that's what they gave him.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Xanax works, that is what's special. They had to give me the laughing gas on top of the xanax for a root canal because that's how bad my anxiety is. Nothing worked previously.

Anyway, no good doctor will stop the xanax cold turkey, it's very dangerous to do. They can quit giving it to him but he will a) end up having seizures or b) buy it off the streets and possibly die when it's laced with something else. His doctor could start writing him a smaller script to force the taper, but that will only work if he doesn't get it somewhere else. The best way I see him safely coming off it is by being admitted and doctors tapering him down while monitoring him.

I'm surprised he can even get a script for that high of an amount so often as they are strict with that drug. Why was he given xanax to begin with? My boss has been on it 17 years because he went to the doctor for not being able to sleep and that's what they gave him.

Has been off it and tapered off in the hospital 2 times. This idiot doctor started him back on these damn pills again and now he can't function at all. This is why I am frustrated. They are MAKING him an addict.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:43 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,487,957 times
Write on his palm in marking ink: Take Xanax First/Alcohol Second.

This will save him from brain damage and coma if he forgets and tries to take a few Xanax when he is at the alcohol limit.

Beyond that, there is nothing you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness