Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

don't think I have ever had this problem. Like someone mentioned we have no idea if they washed their hands just prior to walking into the examining room. I have to question seeing this happen with 3 different doctors. I can believe one doctor maybe, but even then, regardless of whether they did or did not use something to reduce the germs while talking with us they usually are on the computer. It is used by more than one person, so germs are on it. I might be to relaxed about this, but I certainly have never wondered about whether my doctor did or did not wash their hands. Maybe that is why I have never noticed this. I am aware of them using gloves and washing their hands even when using gloves after an examination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We also require that they sanitize the stethoscope in front of us. They had some skin thing they spread where we lived!

I was in a waiting room at the hospital waiting for our son to be called in for 45 minutes. During that time, the monitors that lets you know it was your turn was given to several different people without being sanitized. I watched a toddler suck on one for quite some time. I addressed this and got it changed.

We primarily avoid the big medical machine, a best practice when it comes to maintaining one's health.
I can't remember the last time a doctor used a stethoscope on me!

Sanitize the beeper? I guess I never think about a restaurant doing it...I have to assume the doctor's office is far deadlier so they must take extra measures.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
I would not go to that doctor and I would report it to the ama and the insurance company and let them know why I don't want to see said doctor anymore . I'm wondering how many of us truly do get sick from our drs when they don't use gloves ? gosh now I'm getting the creeps , I really should stay out of this thread egads !!!!LOL.....

Old 01-17-2018, 09:51 AM

731 posts, read 679,116 times
I am nurse and I don't touch anything out in public. Not door knobs, bathroom fixtures and certainly not those touch screens and buttons they have in checkout lines. Grocery cart handles I clean with the antiseptic wipes.

When I go to a medical appointment in medical clinic waiting room I do not touch the pens you sign in with. With all those sick people and kids it is like a petri dish in there. The medical questions in the exam room are asked by the hand sanitized CNA who takes vital signs and entered into a laptop that she takes with her. My doctor washes her hands when she comes into the exam room and after the exam. Then she gets on her own laptop. At the hospital where I work we have sanitizer dispensors outside every room I do not see doctors and nurses not using these. We always don gloves if actually handling the patient.

The flu shots have varying effectiveness year by year, often it is not that great. I got the Swine flu when the virus first arrived in Texas before people even knew what it was and I almost died. I was so sick out there alone at my place in the woods I could not even turn over in bed and certainly could not have called 911. And then, theres this
https://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/index.html I am not OCD about fomites(contaminated surfaces) its just that I am a nurse and I know too much.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,107,305 times
Agree with Nurse Bishop.

Hand sanitizer alone is not adequate between patients & handwashing must be done regardless if gloves are worn or not.

Basically; there is no substitute for handwashing.

There is no way a doctor becomes a doctor without being taught this repeatedly; if a doctor does not do this they should not be your doctor.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:38 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
What do you do when a doctor does not wash their hands or use hand sanitizer? I have requested they do 3 times when they never did and I felt they were extra rough when doing the exam and caused me pain as retaliation. But I have gotten a staph infection from a doctor that did not wash their hands. What do you do?
Change Doctors/clinics. And find out how to report them.
Start here. https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...estions-ethics

Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,231,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Agree with Nurse Bishop.

Hand sanitizer alone is not adequate between patients & handwashing must be done regardless if gloves are worn or not.

Basically; there is no substitute for handwashing.

There is no way a doctor becomes a doctor without being taught this repeatedly; if a doctor does not do this they should not be your doctor.
Wrong.

Hand sanitizers alcohol are ABSOLUTELY adequate between patients as long as hands are not visibly soiled.

Hand sanitizers ARE a substitute for hand washing and the use of hand sanitizers between patients is encouraged and promoted at my institution which is one of the leading health care centers in the country.

Hand washing should become an educational priority. Educational interventions for medical students should provide clear evidence that HCWs hands become grossly contaminated with pathogens upon patient contact and that alcohol hand rubs are the easiest and most effective means of decontaminating hands and thereby reducing the rates of HAIs

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249958/

Training module from my institution which advocates use of hand sanitizers....

https://dicontraining.medicine.duke....og/info/id:125

Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Neat little invention called disposable gloves. Guess nobody has ever heard of those.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:54 PM

2,466 posts, read 2,765,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Wrong.

Hand sanitizers alcohol are ABSOLUTELY adequate between patients as long as hands are not visibly soiled.

Hand sanitizers ARE a substitute for hand washing and the use of hand sanitizers between patients is encouraged and promoted at my institution which is one of the leading health care centers in the country.

Hand washing should become an educational priority. Educational interventions for medical students should provide clear evidence that HCWs hands become grossly contaminated with pathogens upon patient contact and that alcohol hand rubs are the easiest and most effective means of decontaminating hands and thereby reducing the rates of HAIs

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249958/

Training module from my institution which advocates use of hand sanitizers....

https://dicontraining.medicine.duke....og/info/id:125
MWorking in a med school we always encourage sanitizer over hand washing in physical encounter settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Neat little invention called disposable gloves. Guess nobody has ever heard of those.
The standard in our teaching module is you glove up for fluids or potential infections or obvious hygiene issues. . Routine physical exams are bare, sanitized hands. Even the USMLE testing guidelines for med students advises sanitized hands. Glove up only if the student has open wounds or rash on hands.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
What do you do when a doctor does not wash their hands or use hand sanitizer? I have requested they do 3 times when they never did and I felt they were extra rough when doing the exam and caused me pain as retaliation. But I have gotten a staph infection from a doctor that did not wash their hands. What do you do?
Wasn't the doctor wearing gloves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness