Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:12 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In our pharmaceutical industry, before you enter our controlled grade 'D', 'C' and 'C+' areas; our uncontrolled areas have bug zappers with ultraviolent light. We stop anything that can adversely affect our products. Also the air flow is controlled so 'dirty' air does not enter our controlled environments.
Agreed.
I used to keep a 400 gallon saltwater tank. The 4' long ultraviolet light tube at top was arranged so that the water from tank passed within 1/8" inch of it. The purpose was to kill all microscopic nasties in the water. It worked. Bulb has to be replaced approx. every 6 months. This was in the early '80's, so the use of it has been known for some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:41 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
4 ways to catch the cold or flu . nose , mouth , ears ,eyes yep that is why you should keep up a very high hand washing regime ....it really does help keep germs down washing hands I mean .

Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
...our uncontrolled areas have bug zappers with ultraviolent light. We stop anything that can adversely affect our products...
Is that Hulklight? Does it just beat the snot out of invading organisms? Will it work on door-to-door religion peddlers?

Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Is that Hulklight? Does it just beat the snot out of invading organisms? Will it work on door-to-door religion peddlers?
I do not think that Columbia University Irving Medical Center mentioned door-to-door religion peddlers. What is so exciting about this research is that it would not hurt humans (cause skin cancer and cataracts). Right now the price of these special lights would be about $1,000 (as per the article). But they also feel the price would come down with mass production. At sometime in the future you could have bulbs like these in your bathrooms and kitchens. But the real perfect home for this technology would be our schools, malls, and work place (possibly even cruise ships).

Of course this could all be hype; we have to wait and see if companies and schools put this research into action.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:20 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
I've had good luck with zicam in lessening the severity of colds and flu. The results from studies are mixed, but it sure seems to shorten the length and severity. https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/c...-cold-remedy#1

Old 02-13-2018, 05:28 PM

343 posts, read 229,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I read something on FB and wanted to know your thoughts....

I know that if you irrigate your sinuses, it helps to keep bacteria out of your nose, and helps you to avoid colds. And it makes sense, if your sinus is clean, it is harder for bacteria to multiply in there, right?

I read that, a nurse suggested that if you buy an anti-bacterial ointment, and take a Q-tip and put a bit around the inside of each nostrils, it might help avoid flu bacteria from entering in thru the nose?

What do you think?
I'd ask the doctor what he thought about this. It sounds like pure hokum to me though. Influenza is a virus not a bacteria so what's the point in putting antibacterial goop in your nose? Viruses are nasty because they have to run their course and you really can't stop them without using toxins that are dangerous to people as well.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndCatsForAll View Post
I'd ask the doctor what he thought about this. It sounds like pure hokum to me though. Influenza is a virus not a bacteria so what's the point in putting antibacterial goop in your nose? Viruses are nasty because they have to run their course and you really can't stop them without using toxins that are dangerous to people as well.

There are some viral illnesses for which we do have safe and effective medications that can control symptoms if not eliminate the virus.

That includes HIV, herpes, chickenpox and shingles, and flu.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 PM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I have a bad cold, or maybe it is the flu and I don't know it. Very bad congestion. I went outside couple of days ago to clean off my car and shovel snow. The Wind Chill was something like Minus 14 degrees. My sinuses instantly cleared up in the cold, fresh air. It felt great and worked better than any OTC Cold and Flu stuff. I went inside and lowered my heat by 10 degrees!

Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I have a bad cold, or maybe it is the flu and I don't know it. Very bad congestion. I went outside couple of days ago to clean off my car and shovel snow. The Wind Chill was something like Minus 14 degrees. My sinuses instantly cleared up in the cold, fresh air. It felt great and worked better than any OTC Cold and Flu stuff. I went inside and lowered my heat by 10 degrees!
A good hot shower will open up your sinuses and you don't have to freeze! Or, if you really want to open up, grind and make homemade horseradish from the roots! Of course everybody else in the house will suffer!

Old 02-13-2018, 08:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
A good hot shower will open up your sinuses and you don't have to freeze! Or, if you really want to open up, grind and make homemade horseradish from the roots! Of course everybody else in the house will suffer!
I do that, or put a wet wash cloth in the microwave and use it as a compress, with a few drops of essential oils it is very pleasant.

My air purifier has the UV light on it. I have no idea if it works, but it can't hurt.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness