Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 09:07 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
try taking mucinex, every time I get a cold I get bronchitis but I can usually get over it in a few days by taking mucinex, it just loosens phlegm and makes it easy to cough up. I'd be surprised if this was an allergy, you had the cat before you got sick right?
Yes, I had the cat before I got sick.

Here is a timeline. Keep in mind that I am waiting to see the allergist.
  • 1.5 years ago we adopt our cat.
  • 1 year ago I start noticing a need to take antihistamines often and a need to thoroughly clean the house more often because of the constant post nasal drip.
  • Last December decided I need to clean the house a section at time daily or at least every other day.
  • 2 weeks ago, noticed post nasal drip. I blamed it on a plant that bloomed 1 week earlier.
  • 1.5 weeks ago I go to the ER for breathing problems and unable to speak. They give high doses of steroids with no taper and do an X-ray on my lungs. I also start mucinex DM.
  • Earlier this week, Monday, my doctor prescribes steriods with tapering.
  • Symptoms appeared on Friday again. Doctor gives a shot of steriods again and antibiotics. The cat goes with a neighbor friend.
  • Today, I still have post nasal drip and stuffed upper sinus. I am told to try Flonase to clear out sinuses. This does it job. There is no post nasal drip.
  • Both doctors have said "allergies" with one mentioning Allergic Rhinitis. I feel like symptoms are being kept at bay with all this medication.
    I do want to stop the steriod. I am down to my last day tomorrow but I am noticing a dependency on it.
    That being said, I haven't been able to thoroughly clean the house so not sure if that would help. That would certainly give a clue it might be allergies.

I did use Mucinex for 1 week but that did not help my sinuses. I had my lungs checked today and all is clear. The doctor said they sounded great.

Anyway, thank you all so much for following.

Last edited by elyn02; 02-17-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 09:21 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes, I had the cat before I got sick.

Here is a timeline. Keep in mind that I am waiting to see the allergist.
  • 1.5 years ago we adopt our cat.
  • 1 year ago I start noticing a need to take antihistamines often and a need to thoroughly clean the house more often because of the constant post nasal drip.
  • Last December decided I need to clean the house a section at time daily or at least every other day.
  • 2 weeks ago, noticed post nasal drip. I blamed it on a plant that bloomed 1 week earlier.
  • 1.5 weeks ago I go to the ER for breathing problems and unable to speak. They give high doses of steroids with no taper and do an X-ray on my lungs. I also start mucinex DM.
  • Earlier this week, Monday, my doctor prescribes steriods with tapering.
  • Symptoms appeared on Friday again. Doctor gives a shot of steriods again and antibiotics. The cat goes with a neighbor friend.
  • Today, I still have post nasal drip and stuffed upper sinus. I am told to try Flonase to clear out sinuses. This does it job. There is no post nasal drip.
  • Both doctors have said "allergies" with one mentioning Allergic Rhinitis. I feel like symptoms are being kept at bay with all this medication.
    I do want to stop the steriod. I am down to my last day tomorrow but I am noticing a dependency on it.
    That being said, I haven't been able to thoroughly clean the house so not sure if that would help. That would certainly give a clue it might be allergies.

I did use Mucinex for 1 week but that did not help my sinuses. I had my lungs checked today and all is clear. The doctor said they sounded great.

Anyway, thank you all so much for following.
Best of luck to you and I hope you find out the cause of this soon, is there any chance that it could be from trees or pollen in the environment?

Old 02-17-2018, 09:33 PM

At this point I think I can change my title to need help with sinuses because I no longer have the issues with my lungs or so it seems. I know it is not easy to help with the health of other people. I have taken so many ideas from here that have helped me stay calm, for example the O2 meter, which I love now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Best of luck to you and I hope you find out the cause of this soon, is there any chance that it could be from trees or pollen in the environment?
Thank you! Yes. That is what I am thinking and it has been in the back of my mind. But I do think having mild symptoms through out the year may have weakened me for this kind of new allergen.

Unfortunately, there is no way my husband is letting the cat back in.

Last edited by elyn02; 02-17-2018 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,848 times
I've been prone to bronchitis my whole life. Whenever I got the flu, I would end up with bronchitis. After I got double pneumonia and spent three days in the hospital, my doctor recommended the pneumonia vaccine, which is great because one shot lasts five years.

Ever since I started getting the pneumonia vaccine, I never even catch a cold anymore. My doctor thought it was odd, but it works for me and my body!

I highly recommend anyone prone to lung issues, get the pneumonia vaccine. It's worth a try and will hopefully work for you as well as it worked for me.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:28 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
A few years ago, I had a wheeze that developed into a persistent cough. Told doc I had a history of post nasal drip, but Sudafed wasn't working. Doctor said gerd, and I started prilosec. 4 weeks later, still coughing, doc says keep taking it. Several more weeks go by, still coughing, doc says take double doses of prilosec. At the same time, I'm doing home care like avoiding certain foods, sleeping with a wedge pillow, smaller meals, parsley tea. None of this helped. The double-doses reduced my stomach acid to the point that I had stomach pains every time I ate.
Stopped taking prilosec, tried whatchamacallit (Hydrochloric acid?), that INCREASES acid. Didn't help.

Was diagnosed with a lung tumor, had surgery. STILL COUGHING! (there really was a tumor that had to come out; it just wasn't the cause of the cough.)

After 10 months of all this, I finally got a doctor to listen about the post nasal drip. He prescribed Flonase (now available OTC), and that cleared the cough up in less than 8 weeks.

I later found out that the formula for Sudafed has changed (thanks, iceheads!) so it isn't as effective.

Moral: be your own advocate, be persistent, try everything.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
A few years ago, I had a wheeze that developed into a persistent cough. Told doc I had a history of post nasal drip, but Sudafed wasn't working. Doctor said gerd, and I started prilosec. 4 weeks later, still coughing, doc says keep taking it. Several more weeks go by, still coughing, doc says take double doses of prilosec. At the same time, I'm doing home care like avoiding certain foods, sleeping with a wedge pillow, smaller meals, parsley tea. None of this helped. The double-doses reduced my stomach acid to the point that I had stomach pains every time I ate.
Stopped taking prilosec, tried whatchamacallit (Hydrochloric acid?), that INCREASES acid. Didn't help.

Was diagnosed with a lung tumor, had surgery. STILL COUGHING! (there really was a tumor that had to come out; it just wasn't the cause of the cough.)

After 10 months of all this, I finally got a doctor to listen about the post nasal drip. He prescribed Flonase (now available OTC), and that cleared the cough up in less than 8 weeks.

I later found out that the formula for Sudafed has changed (thanks, iceheads!) so it isn't as effective.

Moral: be your own advocate, be persistent, try everything.
Hi! Thank you for your post.

This issue I am having now is being dependent on methylprednisolone. Between doses, my chest tightens up and I don't know if this is a symptom of bronchitis which I was diagnosed or if it is an allergic reaction to the environment. I just took my last pill and I hope I don't feel that tightening again because I am not sure how far it will go. I will have to go the the ER and they will start me all over on it.

This has been very scary for me. My doctor's next move is to receive immunatherapy but I am not sure how long I will have to wait for those shots.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:15 AM

Just a quick update: I am feeling much better now that our cat has been gone since Friday. We did a thorough cleaning of the house and my symptoms are disappearing.

Here is what worked with the tightening of the chest (it was very dry because of the methypredinsone): Muncinex, wearing a mask, hot steam and lots of liquids.
Here is what helped with post nasal drip: Flonase and Advil Cold and Sinus and cleaning the house.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,057,136 times
Good for you Elyn ! Looks like you have solved most of the issues, through trial and error. But the cat ! Where will the cat live? I got shots for cat many years ago because I just could not give him up. It took about 4 years of immunizations.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Good for you Elyn ! Looks like you have solved most of the issues, through trial and error. But the cat ! Where will the cat live? I got shots for cat many years ago because I just could not give him up. It took about 4 years of immunizations.
Trust me. It has been horrible with the bronchitis and crying for the cat. I really have to force myself not to cry anymore. I have rescues right now working to find him a foster home. I posted about him on an animal group on facebook. The Humane Society said they will take him back and not to worry. All this through crying on the phone.

Unfortunately, my husband does not want him in the house after all of this and he does not want all of the efforts to keep him. He is worried that the rest of the family will start to become sensitive to the dander. He actually wants him to live outside instead of rehoming him but we live in Florida. Almost all of my friends have said not to let him live outside.

Thank you for the help. It has been very stressful with everyone worrying about the cat and here I am trying to breathe.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,759,383 times
Have you been tested and it's been shown you're allergic to cats or are you just assuming? If you haven't been tested for cat allergies, the cat could have nothing to do with your illness. You could be allergic to dust, pollen or any number of things.

If you have been tested and are allergic, please be very careful rehoming your cat and absolutely charge a small rehoming fee. People will lie. They could resell the cat or give it to someone to use as bait for a dog fighter. They could also just turn it loose and let it fend for itself. This will not end well.

Please don't convince anyone do adopt your cat. They should want the cat and want to give it a good home. Please make sure anyone taking the cat is a good fit for your cat. If you know a family member will take him great, but I wouldn't rely on that. No one may want it. No kill shelters are almost always full and many have waiting lists. If you take him to the city shelter know that owner surrenders are the first to be put down for space. I'm active in animal rescue, I see this all the time.

I'd contact a reputable rescue now and see if they will take him rather than waiting. Do some research because not all places claiming to be a rescue are genuinely interested in the welfare of the pet.

Hope you feel better soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness