Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:09 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,763,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
How was it? My doctor says it’s such a difficult operation that one would not resort to having it except as a last resort. I’ve never considered it.
My case was a little different as I had no choice but to fix it. I had gastric bypass surgery about 6 years ago. At the time I either didn’t have a hiatal or it was left alone. The hernia was large enough that eventually my new stomach was nearly fully sucked up into my diaphragm. It literally hurt to breathe at times. Factor in pretty severe GERD and my stomach and intestines were riddled with ulcers.

At the time of the hiatal repair I had a few other complications fixed as well- removal of ulcerated intestine, clearing of abdominal scar tissue that fused to my intestine and part of my liver removed where it fused to my intestine. . It was a 7 hour surgery, all said and done. I stayed one night in the hospital and I was back to work 7 days later. Recovery wasn’t bad at all, for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 10:40 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I have a hiatal hernia, with no apparent symptoms. I take no PPIs, or H2 blockers, or Tums or any other antacid.

What I do is follow my gastroenterologist's advice: do not lie down within three hours of eating or drinking. I'm very careful about this, and it's kept me symptom-free for quite a while, although it's ruined my afternoon naps.
Everyone is different though. I never eat after 7:00, so my reflux kicks in well after 3 hours, at about 2 am. Actually, I’ve not had a bad episode since I had my gallbladder out, so I suspect that had a lot more to do with it than I thought.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:43 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,971 times
willc86 - would you be willing to do an experiment relating to your heartburn?

Old 03-27-2018, 10:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Drink more water, and yeah, watch what you eat. My ex-BIL was always complaining about his heartburn, but he'd eat greasy, spicy food and wash it down with Coke after Coke. He either didn't, or wouldn't, make the connection between the battery acid he was consuming and his constant discomfort.

Antacids like Tums are relatively safe to take, but when you mess around with PPIs, especially not under a doctor's care, you can actually make your heartburn worse. It's easier to make the dietary changes, sleep propped up, and lose some weight if you need to.
This is exactly right.

Keep a food diary, and start looking for patterns.

When I began having frequent heartburn, my doctor prescribed prilosec. It helped, but I started to worry about the long-term effects. A friend suggested I stop eating dairy. It worked. Dairy may or may not be your problem, the only way to know is to track your eating and your symptoms.

Other things that help me -
Not eating within 3 hours of going to bed
CBD candy works better for the pain than prilosec did
After several years of not eating dairy at all, I find I can eat small amounts if I take an enzyme supplement that breaks down both lactose and casein

Old 03-27-2018, 02:49 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
so.. i need some advice...seem this pill might be the culprit of my issues. since I was 18 (32 now) ive been taking anti acids. so ive been lately (this past year) getting nausea, when I wake up, or in the middle of the night. Yeah I do eat crap food, which I know I shouldnt ha ha.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anything you guys recommend to take? maybe digestive enzymes? The reason I get heart burn is because of a hiatal hernia
I just spoke to a very close friend of almost 65 years. He is a doctor that has been treating his gastric reflux and nausea with antacids.

He is now in the hospital waiting bypass surgery tomorrow AM. Nuff said??

Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
I had "heartburn" a few years back. Turns out it was "heart." 3 bottles of Gaviscon, and 4 stents later...

Old 03-27-2018, 04:47 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I had "heartburn" a few years back. Turns out it was "heart." 3 bottles of Gaviscon, and 4 stents later...
My dad went to his internist for "heartburn". Smart doc did an EKG, dad was sent across the street for a heart cath and directly from the cath lab to the OR for bypass. He had to be resuscitated in the lab. When he went to the doctor's office he was already this far -> <- from a probably fatal heart attack.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:40 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
so.. i need some advice...seem this pill might be the culprit of my issues. since I was 18 (32 now) ive been taking anti acids. so ive been lately (this past year) getting nausea, when I wake up, or in the middle of the night. Yeah I do eat crap food, which I know I shouldnt ha ha.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anything you guys recommend to take? maybe digestive enzymes? The reason I get heart burn is because of a hiatal hernia
A low-carb diet cured my acid reflux within a few days. I also had a small hiatal hernia, and my reflux was so bad it gave me an esophageal ulcer. Get New Atkins for a New You.

Only a few foods give acid reflux now--super-dark chocolate is one.

Stick to that and you can probably disregard advice about spicy foods, coffee and sleeping in funny positions. I have.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:43 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,400,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I just spoke to a very close friend of almost 65 years. He is a doctor that has been treating his gastric reflux and nausea with antacids.

He is now in the hospital waiting bypass surgery tomorrow AM. Nuff said??
Well, no. Correlation isn't causation. Not that I endorse antacids.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:24 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Well, no. Correlation isn't causation. Not that I endorse antacids.
I think mike meant that sometimes heartburn is not heartburn, it's "heart", as TwinbrookNine said.

If what had been working stops working, you need to be re-evaluated by your doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness