Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 08:54 AM

339 posts, read 171,140 times

Advertisements

After the surgery it's been a struggle to adjust to being farsighted versus nearsighted. Kind of enjoy now being able to see clearly at a distance but I've still not adjusted to close up work, reading books and computer work.

Initially I used reading glasses, 2.+ but purchased prescription glasses, twice, and felt like I was going blind, so difficult was the adjustment. However, yesterday I took up my reading glasses and everything was fine again. Doctor appointment in a week.

What's going on, I wonder? Anyone else have similar? And could recommend a brand of computer glasses? I'm looking at these:

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Read...-fkmrnull&th=1

TIA,
Charles
72 y.o. author & retired prof. math
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 AM

326 posts, read 200,242 times
Going from taking glasses off to read to putting them on is a real struggle for most former myopic patients.Changing life long habits!
Speak to your doctor/optician about the Essilor Computer lens.It is the best lens for computer and near, and even has a tiny distance area at the top.I have a few pair and wear them for all except driving.The intermediate (computer) and near areas are larger than traditional progressives.
The fact that the readers are working today can be due to many factors.Chief among them is whether there are underlying health/ medicine conditions,and how long since the surgery

Old 03-23-2019, 11:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
How long ago did you have your surgery?

Interesting tidbit: I have unusually shaped eyeballs. Instead of being shaped like balls, or lemons, or even footballs (astigmatism), mine are shaped like donuts. So, when my doctor put my new lenses in (Symfony Multifocals) instead of being far sighted like many people, and needing readers, my first eye was able to see UP CLOSE STUFF very clearly but my distance vision was crap!

OK, to be fair, prior to the surgery I was wearing trifocals so ALL fields of my vision were crap ,so this was a weird improvement that meant that readers, which I was emotionally prepared for, wouldn't work for me at all. I couldn't see to drive! I was freaked out!

So the doctor tweaked the second eye and I can see pretty well out of it both near and far - 20/30. This was less than a week ago, and I can now drive and type and read and all that good stuff without glasses.

My vision in my first eye is still changing and variable, moreso than that in my right (second) eye, which was 20/30 the day after surgery and still feels great and seems to be working great.

My doc wants to wait 3 months before we consider either prescription glasses, or no glasses, or LASIK or no LASIK - in other words, he wants the eyes to heal completely and settle into whatever vision is likely to be permanent. So that's why I was asking how long ago your surgery was.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:24 PM

Surgery was about five months ago. I'll mention the Essilor Computer lens.

Thanks!

Last edited by DigitalHumanities2020; 03-23-2019 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 01:52 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Went to Walgreens like the doctor suggested, got a pair of 2.50 readers, buy one get one free deal for 14.99, situation solved, never been happier.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Went to Walgreens like the doctor suggested, got a pair of 2.50 readers, buy one get one free deal for 14.99, situation solved, never been happier.
Yeah I'm not going to spend a lot. I already bought two different pairs of prescription glasses. I think these might be worth a try:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7CRWWFK63&th=1

$19.95

Old 03-23-2019, 09:41 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Computer glasses and reading glasses are two entirely different things, neither of which are specific to cataract surgery.
One adjusts for "blue light", the other for magnification.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:49 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,335 times
Which lenses did you get with cataract surgery? My dad got the crystalense and went from being near sighted to not having to wear glasses.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:13 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
I went from bifocals to no glasses, after my surgery,and at 15 years later at 87 passed drivers vision test for drivers license, perfectly. I don't need glasses for computer work.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
exactly what I have done only I use 2.75 when I can find them. I always have a pair in about every room in the house and am having no problems. I don't like on again, off again, but it is better than not seeing. I had my cataracts done years ago and still on wear readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness