Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times

Advertisements

My eyesight had gotten so bad I was afraid to drive anymore so then they said it was time to do the surgery and remove my cataracts, I was excited and we did the first one yesterday.

I was so impressed with the whole surgery, no pain at all during or after, nothing I worried about happened and it was a pleasant experience.

Today was my post op check. I drove myself. By the time I got there I was so excited I made them laugh. I could read road signs again and the colors were awesome, everything so vivid with colors. The best way to describe it was going from analog TV to HD! Wow! Wow! Wow!

They checked the vision in the eye and it is now 20/20! Even my doctor was impressed that it was that good so soon after surgery. The next eye is scheduled to be done next week and I can't wait...

Now, having one goods eye and one bad eye is in itself another experience. I find myself walking sideways a lot, like I have lost my balance. I am sure people think I am either crazy or drunk especially when they see how happy I am. This simple surgery has/will change my life drastically. I had to ask my doctor today WHY we waited so long to do this!

Point is, if you need this surgery, don't sweat it, DO IT, you will NOT regret it, you will only regret waiting so long to have it done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 08:51 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
That's great that your surgery went so well! I can well imagine how wonderful it is for you.

I would like to point out to others that cataract surgery does not correct your vision completely...a 20/20 outcome is not the norm. It doesn't change your actual vision; it just removes the cataract that is obstructing your view. Many people still need glasses after surgery, but most need an updated, improved prescription.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:55 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Glad things went so well for you! My mother waited so long that she was almost blind in that one eye. The surgery was totally successful. So it seemed almost miraculous the difference to her!

Old 04-16-2009, 08:39 AM

I have wore glasses for many years for distance and close up. They told me after surgery, I will no longer need glasses for distance. The lens implant they put in corrects your distant vision.. And now they even have a new type lens that would eliminate your need for reading glasses but insurance don't pay for that and they are $2000 each. I am wishing I had done those and eliminated my need for any glasses.

They will check my eyes 90 days after the last surgery to see what, if any, glasses I will need. It amazes me how that machine can gauge your vision through the cataract so they will know what lens to put in your eyes. I will no longer be required to wear glasses to drive because of the implants.

They did warn me however, that over the years, my vision could change and I would need glasses for distance. The doctor told me yesterday that this surgery could also get rid of the astigmatism in my left eye. It could also help with the glaucoma... That's a lot of bang for the bucks in my book!

Old 04-16-2009, 01:39 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Congrats on your surgery. No big deal right and to think I waited so long.
I wore glasses (bifocals) for many years and since the surgery which will be two years in july I wear only reading glasses. Laura is right the lens they put in corrects your distance vision.
I know how you feel. You feel like you have a new lease on life. One habit I cannot break is feeling the counter tops to make sure they are clean. Hubby to this day will also say watch out there are stairs coming up soon.I have to say yes I know I can see them.
I to this day do not take my eye site for granted.

Laura I am so happy things have worked out as planned. Its wonderful isn't it?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,775,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
I have wore glasses for many years for distance and close up. They told me after surgery, I will no longer need glasses for distance. The lens implant they put in corrects your distant vision.. And now they even have a new type lens that would eliminate your need for reading glasses but insurance don't pay for that and they are $2000 each. I am wishing I had done those and eliminated my need for any glasses.

They will check my eyes 90 days after the last surgery to see what, if any, glasses I will need. It amazes me how that machine can gauge your vision through the cataract so they will know what lens to put in your eyes. I will no longer be required to wear glasses to drive because of the implants.

They did warn me however, that over the years, my vision could change and I would need glasses for distance. The doctor told me yesterday that this surgery could also get rid of the astigmatism in my left eye. It could also help with the glaucoma... That's a lot of bang for the bucks in my book!
Oh, I didn't realize you got the implants that do correct your vision. What a great invention! I used to work for a cataract surgeon and she was just getting into those when I moved to another state. I remember that a lot of insurances would only cover the basic implant and not the vision-correction ones, which is too bad since it's such a great thing and the cost can be very prohibitive.

Congrats again!

Old 04-17-2009, 06:48 AM

Yea, the are corrective implants now and insurance pays for them.. It is a shame that they do not pay for the newer ones.. I wish I'd went on and got those even at $2000 each,, LOL! I did ask if I could get ONE and come back in a year and get the other one but she said it confuses the brain to bad and it can't cope with them.. I see now what she meant. Having one eye with perfect vision and the other with bad, I end up walking sideways a LOT! LOL! I see now why they like to do the surgeries so close together. His nurse told me they have tweaked that surgery a LOT in just the last 10 years.

I remember when Mama had hers removed, she couldn't do hardly anything and had to wear that patch a week or more. Now it is a clear plastic patch and you only have to wear it for about 6 hours and the first several nights then it is over with.... AND you can go back to work the NEXT day! But with me working on those boats and the problems/expense getting you on and off if you have a problem, my company won't let me return back to work so fast.

By the way firefightermom, I LOVE your screen name!

Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,520,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Yea, the are corrective implants now and insurance pays for them.. It is a shame that they do not pay for the newer ones.. I wish I'd went on and got those even at $2000 each,, LOL! I did ask if I could get ONE and come back in a year and get the other one but she said it confuses the brain to bad and it can't cope with them.. I see now what she meant. Having one eye with perfect vision and the other with bad, I end up walking sideways a LOT! LOL! I see now why they like to do the surgeries so close together. His nurse told me they have tweaked that surgery a LOT in just the last 10 years.

I remember when Mama had hers removed, she couldn't do hardly anything and had to wear that patch a week or more. Now it is a clear plastic patch and you only have to wear it for about 6 hours and the first several nights then it is over with.... AND you can go back to work the NEXT day! But with me working on those boats and the problems/expense getting you on and off if you have a problem, my company won't let me return back to work so fast.

By the way firefightermom, I LOVE your screen name!

When I was thinking about getting the new lens I read on line they were having a lot of problems with them. I am just happy with the corrective distance ones. I do believe he also tweeked the lenses so my near vision was better since I know I could never use 2.0 reading glasses before. Love going to the drugstore and trying on different style of glasses.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,778 times
I had both eyes done several years ago. I was extremely nearsighted. I still need glasses for my astigmatism. I wear wire frames now instead of thick plastic ones. I have noticed that I can't focus close up. I can't see an eyelash in my eye or hair across my face. I can sure feel them though! If your vision should get blurred in the next couple of months, you may need the yag laser surgery. Sometimes a film will grow over the new lens and the laser gets rid of it. It is so nice to be able to see again, especially at night.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:10 AM

Now I am dealing with the company I work for, the doctors office says I could go back to work the day after surgery, the company says I CAN'T because I work on a boat and the expense involved in getting a person off if there is a problem. So, they sent me a stack of papers for me and the doctor to fill out wanting to know WHY I can't come back and WHEN I can return back to work... So I feel like I am caught in the middle between what the doctors say and my companies rules. They are wanting me to go on short term disability..

I certainly hope they are not going to make me stay home until I get that final 90 day post op eye vision check.. I'll go crazy sitting at home that long! The company said I can't return until there are NO restrictions.. Restrictions are lifted after 48 hours... I guess it is all up to the company and their experience with situations like this. I am calling them first thing Monday morning and see what they say....

lorriem- What kind of problems have people had with those new lens? All I know about them is what the doctors told me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness