Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times

Advertisements

Floaters never go away as I understand, your brain just adjusts to them and quits "seeing" them. I would be calling the doc about the pain as I do not think that is normal. Maybe even get a second opinion from another opthalmologist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,589 times
Thanks she was lucky Mine was a ***** and still haveing issues with it

Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,589 times
I guess i will go for a second opinion next week

Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
Wow remy426, that all sounds scarey as heck! I would go for a second opinion and it is highly unlikely I would let that doctor do anymore surgery on me. None of that may have been his fault but if I wasn't responding to the medicine like I was suppose to... I would just go home and me and that doctor would discuss that another day. Wow!! That is scarey!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:31 PM

277 posts, read 518,975 times
The cataract in my left eye actually developed after I was punched in the face by a mugger (this was when I was about 24 years old) - he broke my nose and the glasses I was wearing at the time (yes they were real glass). I went to the eye doctor every other year for a very long time after that - and each time he took a picture of the 'starburst' cataract to see how it developed. Finally about 16 years ago (24 years after it started) I had the surgery (since I couldn't see out of the eye anymore) and my vision in that eye went to 20/40 - I was thrilled since it was 2/200 before. Unfortunately my right eye remained at 10/200 (lopsided?) and I had no choice but to wear glasses - at first bi-focals and then they tried tri-focals. I gave up on the tri-focals quickly - and reverted to two pairs of bi-focals - one for normal day-to-day wear and the other for computer work. About 4 years ago I did go in because my vision in my left eye was starting to blur - the doctor used a laser to clear it up .... and my vision was back to 20/40 - but I've noticed blurriness again ..... my right eye doesn't have any cataract - so I'm stuck with near blindness in that eye .... I think the hardest thing is that I really can't see my face clearly (maybe that's good - can't see the wrinkles ) ....

Last edited by ceg0720; 05-30-2012 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 466 times
I am having cataract surgery on both eyes, one next Monday and the other a couple weeks later. My concern is that I am so extremely farsighted and I work on a computer 8 hours a day and I have a computer prescription. I am wondering how am I going to be able to see how to work with one fixed eye and one in waiting.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:43 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Native View Post
Congrats on fixing your eye problem. This thread caught my attention because I'm going to be getting surgery on one of my eyes too. I've developed keratoconus and its been steadily getting worse over the years. Finally, its to the points where surgery is the only option now. I'm getting a corneal transplant at the end of may. I'm just like you where as I'm blind in one eye. Well not completely blind, but just horrendous blurry vision. I'm so excited too to get this done. I will finally be able to see out of both eyes and not depend on my left eye all the time.
Just to be clear, corneal transplants are quite different than cataract surgery. Corneal graft surgery involves removing a small portion of the outside layer of your eye and replacing it with the another from a donor cadaver. Cataract surgery involves the doctor making a tiny incision into the back of your eye, using an even smaller vacuum to suck the natural lens of your eye out, and replacing it with a clear, artificial lens.

Cataract surgery is the most successful operation that is performed in the US. These are minor procedures, and the majority of patients experience excellent results. Corneal transplants are much more involved, less often done, but are usually successful as well, although the results aren't typically as good. They are the treatment of choice in severe cases of keratoconus (high irregular astigmatism), however.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:46 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbetty1 View Post
I am having cataract surgery on both eyes, one next Monday and the other a couple weeks later. My concern is that I am so extremely farsighted and I work on a computer 8 hours a day and I have a computer prescription. I am wondering how am I going to be able to see how to work with one fixed eye and one in waiting.
When I had my cataract surgery I used the one eye that was not covered to work on the computer. After the 1st day the protective cover was removed during the day and I could use both eyes. Readers helped tremendously. Talk to your doctor and he/she will instruct you. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msbetty1 View Post
Between your surgeries continue to wear your regular glasses for computer work just put some black tape over that side of the glasses with the new lens implant. when not on the computer use another set of glasses or an eye patch to cover the eye that hasnt been operated on yet,bit inconvenient but its only temporary.
Once both eyes have been operated on you can then get some pharmacy reading glasses that solve the problem of your lack of close up vision.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryeholt View Post
JMy left eye has a small cataract that this Tuesday is scheduled to be replaced, but I am having second thoughts due to my inability to read with the new eye. I am hoping this is so because I need to give it a few more days of healing and get proper reading glasses but I am concerned. Right now I read with my left eye in glasses and wonder if I could not get on with it this way, but know my left cataract will get worse with time. Should I bite the bullet and get the left done or wait til it gets bad and use the vision I have in my left eye to its fullest? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greg
I worked as an ophthalmic technician for many years and helped many patients decide when to have cataract surgery. I also assisted in cataract surgeries themselves. The major deciding factor is the insurance company, unfortunately. The insurance won't pay for the surgery until you can't see well enough corrected out of the eye to legally drive (20/50 or worse). Once you hit that level of vision, the insurance company will cover the surgery, and patients need to make the decision for themselves as to when they want to go ahead with the surgery.

I always encouraged patients to get the surgery as soon as the insurance company approves the procedure. Most patients have nothing to gain by delaying it. Even if your cataract is small, it impedes your vision more than you think. The surgery clears it up amazingly well. As others have mentioned, some people get what is called a "secondary cataract" after your surgery, in which the new lens becomes cloudy, but a simple in office laser procedure takes care of that permanently.

Also, Medicare will cover the cost of one basic pair of eyeglasses following cataract surgery. For reasons I know not what, Medicare does not consider glasses a medical expense except after cataract surgery. But after the surgery, they will pay for them. If you have only had one eye done, you can choose your frame, get the new lens for the corrected eye, and either pay for your own lens in the uncorrected eye or get a plain plastic lens with no prescription while you are waiting for the other eye to be done. Once your second eye is done, Medicare will pick up the cost of the second lens. However, Medicare will not pay for coatings, such as Transitions or anti-reflective coatings, and they only pay part of the cost of progressive lenses. If you want any of these, you will need to pay for these yourself. I hope this helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness